Pain when inserting the needle. Could this mean she didn't get it directly into the follicle?

Hey! I had my first electrolysis test patch on arm yesterday. My hairs are fine there. My electrologist has only been doing this for 1 year and couldn’t guarantee that the hairs she treated would be gone for good. She wasn’t using magnification and admitted that it was pretty hard for her to work on fine hairs.

I felt pain with most insertions (not with zapping). Afterwards, the hairs did slide out easily without a tug. If insertions hurt, could this mean a lot of it will grow back because the current went to the wrong place?

Thank you

You should never experience pain during insertions. That’s a sign of poor insertions where the follicle is being missed. Even if an electrologist has 20/20 vision, If they’re not using proper vision aid, they’re not going to accomplish quality work.

2 Likes

I had the same experience recently. An electrologist refused to use any vision aid, claiming they had 20/20 vision. Yet, they missed every hair I pointed to.

I currently am going to someone that uses only 2x. And, I called another that said they only use 2x or 5x. I’m confused by this. I have a 15x mirror at home, and I see my hairs perfectly in it. But, when I use it at the electrologist’s to show them where I need hairs removed that I can feel and bother me, I have trouble seeing them. When I go home, the ones that were bothering me are still there. I know it has to do with their lighting and shadowing, but they don’t seem to figure it out.

So, what magnification do you use? Any special lighting or shadowing?

Most electrologists use 3x-5x (or more) magnification. Without sufficient magnification, it is impossible to do the work properly.

2 Likes

I agree, but don’t know what to do. I already drive hours away. Finding another electrologist means going even further away, and getting less time. I’m considering becoming an electrologist for this reason and because I need to find a new career, but then I would have no one to do me. Also, I was planning to travel, but can’t see how to do that if I have clients in one place.

Do people use computer screens and cameras to work on themselves?

cameras have been tried, but honestly the delay in the image rendering is a problem for electrolysis. I use an 8X loup magnifier, but after several years working with it, I am upgrading to a carl zeiss opmi 99 medical microscope. The better you can see, the more accurate and efficient your insertions will be. Hopefully this helps.

When are you expecting your Zeiss? I want to see your feedback on whether you like it.

I’m not quite sure exactly when yet. It’s coming from friend and mentor in electrology for many years, and previous moderator of Hairtell for 18 years, James Walker. James is finally pulling down his shingle and going to the Carolinas to care for a close relative.I actually agreed to purchase this from him many years ago, but the exact logistics of getting it into ottawa have been an issue for a variety of reasons . However James is still finishing one last client and so is in buffalo every few months and on one of those trips is making a side trip with the microscope to Ottawa. So buying from him comes with the incredible advantage of some hands on instruction with it from my colleague who supported me so much over so many years. now the only questions that remain ( I’ve already assembled James preferred form of payment) are where to go out for dinner and exactly who in my city still possibly does Karoke? There’s a suite hotel downtown that should fit James’s style so I’m good there, then taking enough time off to carouse with him about town.

I remember James Walker when I first discovered Hairtell. He has wealth of knowledge on many things electrolysis. I thought he retired years ago. You’ll definitely get a helpful hand showing you how to use it right so you’ll have a quick transition. Good Luck!

Smoothskin, also of note is the necessity of using a directional light to shine accross the hairs from the side if your hairs happen to be blonde.This causes the blonde hairs to light up like little fiber optic christmas trees and thus allow you do see the insertion quite easily. The way you are talking about this issue, I think this may possibly be the case for you but the same does not hold true for pigmented hairs. This can make the biggest difference, but if she isnt using any magnification at all, honestly go somewhere else.

2 Likes

I left the person who refused to use magnification. But, yes, the current person isn’t using much magnification, and probably not using lighting well at all. I have both kinds of hair - dark and light. They also only use thermolysis, no blend or galvanic. My issue is distance to anyone else, time, and cost. It would be 4 hours one way to to the next person. That’s why I’ve considered getting trained myself.

Do you have the 8x attached to glasses? Do you have to hunch over to get close to your work area? Is it uncomfortable to work at that level of magnification? I have been going for multi-hour appointments. Most of the other people I have used or consulted will only do no more than 2 hours. With the distance I have to travel, that just doesn’t work for me.

How is it going with your Zeiss?

I havent gotten it yet. That’ and I am out of work this month with a broken clavacle and likely wont be working again until mid-july.

1 Like

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear that! I was imagining you on vacation in a sailboat today! Instead, I know you must be in a lot of pain. Hope you feel better soon!

No sailing for me this year! I had an accident with my ebike, which goes too fast, in the dark, and fell hard just a day or so before the beginning of June. I broke my clavacle, and cracked 2 ribs. The ribs are healing, the clavacle is not and must be operated on. This is not scheduled yet and I consult again on monday to approve the surgery and schedule it potentially.

James, well he needs a good time to come to Ontario, and is mostly in North Carolina at this time as far as I know! He’ll find the time to come up and bring the microscope with him. I’m not in a hurry.

Seana

Sounds terrible for you. Such a long wait for such a painful problem. I wish you luck in getting what you need and a speedier recovery soon.