Options to reduce hyperpigmentation with electrolysis

I’ve been reading lots on this forum pre starting my electrolysis journey and was hoping someone could help with a couple of questions re how to reduce the risk of pigmentation (although understand it’s a heightened risk on certain skin types like mine- fair Asian.)

Is it correct that certain needles can reduce the risk of pigmentation? Would gold needles therefore be the best option?

Are there any after care tips (outside of the aloe Vera, tea tree that’s been recommended on the forum) that could help?

Does the machine itself make a difference? I see Apilus seems to be the most popular- is this the best option?

Thanks very much!

I think retinoids and niacinamide? But I’m not an expert on this particular problem. Just google ‘postinflammatory hyperpigmentation treatment pubmed’ and you should be getting scientific articles on this matter…

1 Like

No The machine makes no difference
It helps to understand what hyperpigmentation is. . Hyperpigmentation is the reaction that comes from inflamation. Without causing some inflamation it is not possible to kill hair. However hyperpigmentation is a TEMPORARY manifestation… It has a tendancy however to hang on longer than people would like, up to a year or more in severe cases.However it ALWAYS fades, completely! Therefore it is not a concern. It’s just somethingthat MAY ( not will happen) and eventually always goes away on its own.

2 Likes

I love to use refrigerated, cold-pressed aloe vera gel immediately after a session, especially on my people of color. It calms down the melanocytes in the skin. Try it. Take it with you if your electrologist doesn’t provide it. Apply it as liberally as you want for a couple days after your session. Evaluate and see if it works for you. Stay out of the sun.

3 Likes

Thanks very much everyone for all your tips!

I couldn’t quite find the post I saw re the needles but is it correct that certain needles eg gold may help reduce scarring and therefore pigmentation risk?

no it’s not true that using a gold needle will eliminate scarring or reduce it. The needle is chosen to the modality you are working in. Gold Needles are usually uninsulated, and therefore not as suitable for work in thermolysis. They will however work beutifully in blend treatments and give very smooth insertions and conduct DC currents very well… So it’s not a matter of choosing a needle to reduce scarring, its simply a matter of properly matching the needle to the type of electrolysis being performed.

Unfortunately for some people hyperpigmentation is inevitable.However the inflammation will eventually disappear depending on how much time the area(s) on the face have been treated. I will also avoid treating the same area over again depending on how well the client is healing. Right after a treatment I usually put a cold compress on my facial areas to calm down the skin as well as close up the follicles. I keep several cold compresses in little containers in a mini fridge. I also suggest my clients make a baking soda and a water poultice and apply the thick paste over the areas that were treated and inflamed. I also explain to make sure the paste isn’t runny. Once the paste dries on the areas treated, remove the paste gently with lukewarm water. Client can repeat poultice more than once. I hope this is helpful.