Opinion on modifying something on a unit

Hi all, wanted some opinions on something regarding modifying a part on one of my electrolysis machines.

My first machine was a Sterex, and I loved the switched probe holder it had. I then upgraded to a Apilus SM-500 which I am currently using, but I have always missed the switched holder of my Sterex.

The problem is after using it for a while, I find it gets tiring as you can only sit in certain positions to use the foot pedal properly(!) Now I know the newer version of the Apilus come with switched needle holders, but as I am just a DIYer I find it’s too much to spend on another machine for the benefit of the switched holder, because otherwise I am quite happy with my machine.

So I was thinking, I could easily have the foot holder replaced with a (more flexible) wire and a small switch on the end, so that I can hold it in my hand instead – this way it would be easier to use the machine in a much more comfortable position.

I’ve had the machine for about 8 years now, and it was used when I bought it, so since it doesn’t have warranty or anything, it should be okay to do this? I do feel some opinions on here may be about it not being safe to do so…but really? Yes although I am not aware of how the Apilus unit is built inside, and definitely do not want to do anything to cause any harm…all I am thinking of is replacing an outside wire and have a smaller switch, so not really thinking about touching any of the insides. Has anyone on here modified their machine like this before? Thank you.

Why not use autosense and eliminate the need for a finger switch or foot pedal?

I dont think the mod you are looking to accomplish should be attempted by a novice to electronics.Apilus are complicated computerized machines and radio frequency electronics work should be left to the professionals.