OKAY, whats the deal with Plucking and Shaving!?!

Whats the deal with plucking and shaving? If I can not afford to do the so called greatest thing when it comes to HAIR REMOVAL known as Electrolysis!! Then what is the the best alterantive to removing hair? I’m going to guess that waxing is really the worst thing you can do when is come to HAIR REMOVAL. And if you can afford to wax all the time why not pay for the electrolysis, it’s much better for you the long run. But I don’t wax!!

I would also like to know if most of these places that do these types of services with certified people of course, do they offer payment plans, is this something that is done in this industry? So if you can not afford this, then is SHAVING and PLUCKING okay to do and if not what is the best way to remove hair at home.

I feel that plucking your eyebrows and lip area would have to be okay, but if not what is the best way. And I have a friend who SHAVES her lip area and she claims the hair grows back the same way as it started. But I feel she is wrong to assume that this works for all people, because people have different types of hair growing on them. And she happens to be a person that has fine, thin hair and so it maybe okay for those who have light hair, fine hair and thin hair!?! So my question is, is shaving a good idea for the upper lip area? My guess would be NO, I never did it but feel its not a SMART move!! Your chances for INGROWN HAIRS are much higher when you SHAVE the face!!

I’ve also used the HAIR REMOVAL CREAMS and once I accidently took off the hair on my arms with it and the hair grew back a bit thicker and more seem to come through and it was darker to me as well. This I did a long time ago but I remembered I was so mad on how the hair grew back it made me think there really is nothing out there that works and it only seems to make matters worse!! So my advice would be to not use this CRAP!!

Thank you so much for your time and listening!! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!!

Cinnamon

I would not wax or pluck hair on my face. Eyebrows are okay, but not the chin, upper lip, neck, sides, cheeks. Clipping or shaving are okay, but many women do not like the feeling of stubble and they think it makes the problem worse. It does not. Waxing, threading, sugaring can induce a bigger problem though.

If you get electrolysis, there are no payment plans usually. You pay as you go. In the beginning, appointments are longer and closer together to get all the hair off as soon as possible. Then you may need to go every three or four weeks until the you are finished. Some people may need to see their electrologist every 5-6 weeks after the first 4-6 months for sessions that are longer and closer together. Tweezing cases are more of a challenge in the beginning, SO DON’T TWEEZE, THREAD, SUGAR OR WAX YOUR FACE.

Shaving is really the best option as long as you don’t cut yourself. I worked on a lady’s chin today who had several cuts from shaving this morning. So be careful if you decide to shave. I like electric shavers for women the best. Shaving does not effect hair growth in anyway. It’s cheap to do and is a good temporary method until you can save up for electrolysis. Most of my upper lip clients are permanently treated in 9-12 months for under $500 of less.

Thank you so much for the feed back!!

You mentioned that if you shave it does not matter the HAIR will grow back the same way it has been growing out in the past. And that it won’t come back thicker or more manly by anymeans. And you’re sure of this? And would I be shaving more and more compared to plucking? I tend to think I may be.

And I just have one hair that comes and goes on the bottom of my chin and I just pluck it. It’s been a long time now since I last plucked it, but it may come back again. I just check by feeling the area every once in awhile and when it starts to come out, I pluck. And sometimes it’s gone for a long time and sometimes it’s gone for less. It seems for me anyways that hair growth is stronger in the hotter months then in colder months, that’s when it tends to stay doorment. And I’m sure it has to do with the fact that the blood flow is much better in us during warmmer months. I’m just affraid if I shave that I will have to do it more often then plucking and this just makes more work for myself then I care to deal with!?! Also I feel ingrown hairs may be a worry when shaving the face, true?

And does shaving the face or any other part of the body for that matter will it stimulate hair growth as well? And what is the best way to shave down or up when it comes to a womens face or does this matter or have an impact on the way the hair will grow back? And is waxing your legs better to do then shaving if you don’t do the electrolysis that is? I know I won’t wax, but would just like to know.

And when shaving your sensitive areas like bikini line or gential area, my friend saids it’s better to shave down first then up is there a proper way to shave this area? Actually I think she may shave it all down, but for me I’m not able to get all the hairs this ways.

And as far as the nipple area is plucking okay? Because it seems like shaving would not make for a good look. And again are we making more work for ourselves. And what makes plucking so bad, what happens to us in the long run if we PLUCK verses shave?

It sounds like shaving is the best way to do it, all around that is for a temperary fix. And I never liked waxing, I really feel it’s a scam!! I had my legs done once and this was crazy!! But does it really make the hair on the legs less and does it really make the hair thinner as well? I mean there are people who started WAXING young and after five years of waxing they barely have any hair and they are not old.

But as far as shaving what do some of you recommend as far as shavers go. I use the Venus Divine and I use the Venus Breeze which is nice because of the extra moisture added to it. I think Gillete makes some good products and the others really out there don’t compare. But I would really like to know what others recommend. And are electic shavers better? I never thought so myself but if someone could tell me otherwise this would be great!! It just seems like shaving dry is not the way to go and I know there are wet ones out there so my question is what really works best!?! And how about shaving creams or gels which ones do some of you swear by that really make a difference in the shave.

Also I would like to know if it’s a good idea to use alchol to rinse your shaver or clean your shaver. I feel I may have picked up an infection once due to the shaver not being disinfected. Is this a must when shaving?

I mean, I usually just rinse it off really good with hot water and hang it up to dry on its own little hook, but I wonder if you can catch stuff if not disinfected a certain way. Especially for those that carry them to the gym as well. Any advice or info?

Thank you so much for your time and listening!!

Cinnamon (:

please go to www.HairFacts.com and read up on plucking, shaving and so on.

I’m confused about this, too. It seems my facial hair DID NOT start top grow back darker until I plucked…

But now it is so dark (prolonged shaving/occasional plucking) that I feel I can do nothing but pluck!

I read the article on Hairfacts, but it says nothing about “Disadvantages” that plucking can make hair grow back much darker…and hence, prolong the electrolysis process if you are aiming for that eventually–which I am!

Any advice?

Hormones and good blood supply make hair grow depending on your genetics and vulnerbilities. On the face, which is a high hormonal target, repeated tweezing and waxing can be factors in causing hair to grow hardy, sturdy and strong. Tweezing the lower legs is something different altogether. Tweezing your eyebrows is something different altoghether.

If you can, go for electrolysis for your face. Hopefully, you have a skilled, modern electrologist with a hygenic office in your locale. You have to stop tweezing immediately when you start electrolysis and resort to shaving or clipping in between treatments until your practitioner can catch up with the returning tweezed hair.

Dee

Dee

Listen, I really don’t like it when you go to a website that has area’s to place your questions and you get someone who works on the site who seems to not have the time or wants to make you feel like your wasting their time by asking many questions.

This is a advice/help you out area, so I would really like it if Mr. James Walker not answer any of my questions or requests for advice anymore please. The others have been very helpful, but I’m not a site reader I come here to ask and go. I’m also not into reading on the computer it bothers my eyes after a while. I have health issues that don’t allow me to sit in front of a computer for long do to PAIN, I’m stricken with RA and haven’t any more cartilage in my hips this is why I can’t read and sit in front of a computer for long. I’m much more into books or magazines and I am a true believer it is much easier and faster to pick up a BOOK and read it then trying to find it on silly COMPUTER!! So if someone would recommnend a good book on the subjects, maybe one I could find at my local library that would be really nice.

You know the old saying if it ain’t broken don’t fix it!!! That’s the problem with this country, so many people just don’t really want to help, they just want to brush it off on something else or someone else, it’s really truely a sad world at times!! Thanks all for listening and taking the time to respond.

Mike Bono’s - The Blend Method
Meharg & Richard’s - Cosmetic and Medical Electrolysis
Shelby Owens - About That Hair <=== This is the one I think you are best to read)
Linda C. Edsell - Female Hirsutism: An Enigma

There you have some books to find.

Funny thing is, if it were not for people like that Evil James Walker, many questions on here would go UNANSWERED like yours almost did.

Cinnamon:

No one who answers questions here “works” for this site. It is voluntary behavior that takes time out of our very busy, long days to help posters like you. I think we have discussed this with you before on another thread. Try to find another website that is more patient and detailed as this one in regard to hair removal. Personally, I become calloused toward posters that offer no appreciation and I’m surprised that evil James even offered to take his precious time to guide you with reading material.

Mmmm Cinnamon. You were definitely out of line here. Nobody owes you anything here, and James kindly gave you a link to read. Whether you read it there or you read it on this thread, you still have to read it. Print it out if you don’t like the computer, but don’t expect any more answers until you apologize.

Why James responded to your rant, I don’t know. I would give you the name of a great book that explains the connection between hormones and hair follicles, but… nah.

Hah! Proof positive that “Hair makes us Grumpy!” Once my follicles are empty, I will be mellow…

Wow. What a discussion. Cinnamon, as mentioned, moderators and top contributors here are volunteers. They’re not paid. We offer answers to endless questions at the expense of our time, for free. You’re welcome.

In terms of your original question:

• Plucking eyebrows is fine. Plucking other areas of the face etc can cause ingrowns and make the hair become more coarse as it builds up resistance. Waxing is same as it does the same thing, i.e. removes hair with the root. Hair doesn’t get worse for everyone and not on all areas, but it’s common on a woman’s face.
  • Shaving and depilatories don’t do anything to the structure of the hair. They don’t affect the root and cannot make the hair grow any different. You can do both of those without issues.
  • Electrolysis is a permanent method, so it differs from everything else in that you don’t have to do it all your life. Many electrologists take credit cards, so yes, it’s an option to finance it. For the upper lip, the total cost is usually $300-500 over the coarse of 12 months or so. It won’t break the bank regardless.

Well I’m a bit surprised by the reaction and I never called James EVIL, but this really sounds like a childish way to get people to feel sorry for him, whatever works for ya James!?!

This forum is a place where you can ask questions and I didn’t think it was a reference desk and if so, then why have any of you answer questions in the first place this really defeats the purpose of a area on this site that’s especially meant for questions. I mean if your going to send people to other areas on the site then the site should just offer that and having an area where you can place your questions no matter how dumb or silly or long they maybe should really be answered a little more informative then just a reference, it would be deeply appreciated that’s for sure. And if James is so busy then he can just skip me and maybe someone else who doesn’t mind answering could be of assistance. And if they can’t take too much of their time then they could answer some and some else could help with the rest. But to make someone feel discriminated against is so not cool!! And especially by saying to me as if I am some kind of problem person here that I have done this before is really not nice at all.

And I never thought anyone OWES ME ANYTHING!! You have no right to say that because that’s not what I was saying in the first place!! I did nothing to you and all I asked is that James not waste his time on me and by answering my questions. Why, because if you really want to know, I get this feeling he’s an arrogate person and I really don’t like the way he answers my questions and for all this, I just asked him not to respond. But I am truly sorry if I offended you all by stating how I feel.

Plus I’m really offended by the fact that you have to state that you don’t work here, some people might just say, like I care. I mean if this site is here to help and the people who own it saw this I would be pretty upset if this was my site. Your helping out and that’s great and really nice but you don’t have to state it as if you are doing me a favor or by patting yourself on the back, that’s just not right. I mean people who want to help people out by the kindness of their heart for sure wouldn’t rub in your face!! It’s kind of like someone borrowing you money and then letting you know every minute that you owe them you think that’s NICE, I think NOT!! It sounds like you need to hear praise for what your doing and in return is that really helping!! Plus not to mention, I expressed that I was very thankful for the help that was given to me in the past and I think that’s enough, I mean what do you want the posters to do send you a CANDY GRAM !! I think the ones who took the time to answer my questions and not reference me were GREAT and very KIND and helpful as well!!

This is not a rant by any means, I have a right to state something if I feel it was not handled right and to me JAMES is not EVIL but stubborn on the way he answers his questions and it SHOWS to my anyways and don’t I count as someone important, just as important as JAMES, I think so!! I feel it’s very discriminating and if I owned the site I wouldn’t like it if any of my viewers were unhappy.

Thank you so much for your time and listening!! All the best to you on your journeys and hardwork!!

Cinnamon

FYI: www.hairfacts.com that he pointed you to is a part of this site. The forum is supposed to help answer questions after you have read the basics on that original site that outlines it all. He wasn’t sending you to some random website. That site is there to help you. He pointed you to it in case you didn’t know about it because it provides all the answers you asked for.

Also, if all of us weren’t responding to people’s questions like we do, this website wouldn’t exist. Back in the day, questions went unanswered for days. So the owner of the website, Andrea, who made James the moderator btw, realizes the benefit of the people who keep it running, i.e. everyone who answered your question here.

Sometimes Cinnamon it’s not what you say, but the way you say it.

After reading all these posts and so forth I looked back at the original post of what James said and I can’t say what was wrong with it, genuinley. Instead of repeating what is already written he simply gave you a link to read up on.

I can remember Iv’e asked questions about electrolysis that have already been answered and James came across quite sharp (and posting a link for someone to read in my opinion is not sharp). But instead of taking it the worst way possible I thought of it from James’s and all the other regular posters point of view. I apologised for annoying James and he then posted something of the lines of ‘you don’t need to apologise, we’d rather you have the right information. Just don’t be offended if someone shoots you a link to a previous thread’. No one got offended and I logged off this site, not feeling like it’s inhabitted with nasty forum trolls, but that they are genuinley nice people and ‘yeah they do care about consumers’.

And seeing as you have decided to comment on someones personality, originally based on a one line post over the Internet, I don’t see why we can’t do the same. You appear to want something for nothing and expect the world to get on their knees and cater for your wants. Wake up and smell the coffee pumpkin, the world doesn’t work that way.

If you don’t like this site, go to another and, yes, this may sound immature, but a times like these it would be amusing if Kitty’s consumer beware sites were still running. The reason being is because your type has a habbit of running to anywhere that will pander to you and suck up the information they give to you, which is usually just a load of quackery and ends up wasting your time and money. Sounds harsh, but hey we all have those little day dreams eh?
Although unfortunatley this type of behaviour breeds more quackery claims, it spreads more and people like James, Andrea, lagirl, Dee and so on have to fight even harder to supress the false information and ruhmors so that the average consumer, who is normally grateful for any free help, especially the unbiased, truthful and fair stuff, can make an informed decision.
You’ve been incredibly rude, obnoxious and a whole host of other things towards the posters of this website who have given literally hundreds of hours of their time to help consumers out, which is amongst one of the reason why I have a lot of respect for everyone who helps out on this forum.

Why vent so much? Because I get the distinct feeling you are the exact type of people I have to deal with in work all the time. People who talk to others as if they personally owe them something and then be completley awful to anyone who doesn’t seem to have the same ideas as them - usually that everyone else is second to them. Oh, and don’t even consider accusing me of trying to suck up to anyone, this is just my simple opinion.

As a general conclusion, get over it. James shot you a link, if you think that’s something terrible, you really need to revaulate your perspective on life.

Benji

Side note: Sorry if this isn’t appropiate (especially as I haven’t been involved on this thread yet) or if this breaks the rules of the forum, but I really, really dislike people who behave like this.

Benji boy, you are too kind. It’s what she says AND how she says it.

The word “discriminating” tells me a lot. A whole lot.

Cinnamon. Shut up. Grow up. Act your age. The end.

Let me just say a few words here.

The reason that I, and many other posters here sometimes come off as snappy, or curt with certain questions is that they exhibit both abject laziness on the part of the poster, and in some cases self-entitlement mentality on top of that.

If one has found the site online, and found out enough to learn that one must register in order to post, and then figured out how to register, then one has also looked at pages that show our search feature, and index page. The index page shows a rather LONG list of forum titles and topic areas.

Cinnamon found the Tweezing and Plucking forum and correctly posted her question in that forum, so she did actually see that we have one. The problem is, this also proved that she was one lazy step away from finding more than the answers to her questions. She would have found the answers to questions she did not know to ask had she just started reading the previous posts in the 7 pages of threads listed in this very section.

It is kind of like the person who waits in line at the doughnut shop and when one gets to the front of the line requests the cashier state a list of the available doughnuts that day. Hmmm, well, you could have been looking at the doughnut case during the time you were standing in line. Now you are holding up the line by asking that question.

Do we repeat ourselves over and over on this site? Sure we do! But frequently, people ask questions that require a particular approach to show why what they think is a new question only leads back to an old answer, or it is just easier to give a restatment of a simple fact rather than spend the time finding a link to the previously posted question and answer.

Ask me what the best course of action for an African American female body builder living in the Virgin Islands with a bad plucking obsession and a pigment problem, and it is just easier to type a long post dealing with all the separate things that problem deals with, instead of finding and pasting 12 links to past posts.

Ask me “Does electrolysis really work?” and you really can’t expect me to rewrite an electrolysis text book here.

Are we here to help? Yes we are. Do we expect you to practice your own due diligence? YES! We expect people to TRY to find the answers to their questions before posting a new post.

At this point in the game, there is almost no question that has not already been asked and answered here in the past 5 years. We understand that finding the one you need is not so easy at times, but some questions are as easy as typing one word in the search box and hitting the “Enter” key. (one of my favorites is the thread you get when you do a search on the word “Superman” and the post title LIFETIME GUARANTEES OFFERED :wink: )

If I personally come off gruff and snappy sometimes, I apologize. Of course, I hope you all realize that it often feels the same as when your kid says, “MOM! Have you seen me Tuxedo?” When you know he really means, “I have not even gone into my room and opened my closet door. Will you go get my tuxedo and bring it down stairs to me while I play my Wii, or Xbox game?”