NYC Upper West Side

Hi Everyone,
If anyone has a recommendation for me, I’d be eternally grateful! What I’m looking for may be hard to find, but hopefully not impossible.

I want to start up electrolysis again on my thighs/bikini area, which I was doing for a couple of years with pretty good results. Of course, working on such a large area takes lots of time and money. Unfortunately, being a law student, I have very little of either. So, I am looking for an electrologist near where I live and go to school- on the Upper West Side of Manhattan- and, ideally, does not charge the highest rates. I know that electrolysis is never cheap (especially if it is good), but I’m just looking for something towards the lower end of the price range.

The place where I used to go in Brooklyn charged $75/hour (which I think is reasonable) when I started going there in 2005, but the prices steadily increased over the years. When I stopped going there (early 2008) the rate was at or about $90/hour…kind of unrealistic for me on my current budget.

I’ve done a search through the forum for practitioners in Manhattan, but didn’t see any in my neighborhood…

If anyone has ideas, please let me know. Thank you soooo much!

If you are willing to travel to Queens, you might be able to get treatment at a student rate at the Berkowits School of Electrolysis; I think they offer a student rate even though I don’t see it listed on their web site (James, you know offhand?)

http://www.berkowitsschool.com/

Hi VickieCNY,
Thanks so much for your response! I will contact them to see about the student rate, but I doubt I could go very often due to the long trip out there from where I live and go to school (would probably be about an hour).
I’m so busy these days I hardly have time to sleep…it sucks. Otherwise, I would make that time sacrifice.

Have you (or anyone else) heard anything about Joy Anzarouth? I found her via a Google search and she’s very close to my school. It’s a bit pricey- $100 per hour, though she does offer a 10% discount for 10 hrs or more (I’d need at least that much).

I found and old post on this forum that spoke positively of her, but didn’t say too much more. It would certainly be a financial sacrifice, but may be worth it if she is awesome and works fast…

Should I create a new topic asking about her specifically?

Thanks!!

I was surprised to find that the student rate at the school has not gone up substantially. It is still only $20 per hour. :shock:

I remember a high school swimmer who did his whole back and legs one year. He would just come in, and get work from every student there over the course of the day. At the end of the day, he had paid for a couple of hours and gotten a full day of treatment, while some students got some badly needed constant work to improve their technique. Sine it was body work, it did not matter as much that they were still students.

The best thing to do is go to Joy, get a consultation and a small treatment so you can check her out. You can make a decent decision after you read several electrolysis posts here on hairtell. She may be very good and no one here has been to her to say that she is. (you could post on your experience) Check her out and see where it goes.

Dee

James and Dee,
Thank you so much for your responses. I have made an appointment for a consultation with Joy tomorrow, so we’ll see how it goes! Unfortunately, her rate is a bit high for me- $100 per hour, but 10% discount if you do at least 10 hrs.
I’m thinking that if I really like her, I’ll make a 1/2 time 1/2 $$ sacrifice and combine some appointments with Joy and with some at the Berkowits school. $20/hour?? That’s amazing!! I just regret I didn’t go there back when I had a normal (non-lawschool) life and more time on my hands…alas.
Thanks again for the help, and I will let you all know how it goes!

Sarinena- any updates? I am looking for a good electrolysis in the NYC area.

I’ve been to Diane Mazza a few times. She’s in Greenwich Village area. She’s pretty good in my opinion.

Hi HannaBanna,
I haven’t been on the forum for a while, so i just saw your post. I ended up going to Joy Anzarouth (Bare & Beautiful) on W. 55th St. and 8th Ave. She is a lovely person, really a “joy” to talk to and I liked her a lot. However, after a year of very regular appts for my eyebrows and almost a year and a half of appts that started out not-very-regular and then got more regular and frequent on by butt/upper back thighs, I saw hardly any improvement in both areas. That was disappointing to me. I know that electrolysis takes a long time, but in my previous experience, i was seeing results by the 1 year mark. Esp. an an areas as small as the eyebrows- it was frustrating to me that there was still so much growing.

So, now I am going to Arelene Batz in Kew Gardens Qns. I actually moved also so it’s a bit more convenient for me, but unless you live in Queens it is a bit of a journey. Definitely manageable, though. So far, I really like her but have only had a couple of treatments so can’t say anything about results yet. She definitely knows what she is going tho, I can tell that already- v. little pain, no skin damage, always cleans and soothes the area, etc., and answers all my questions.

I will be sure to provide an update when i do more treatments.

If you are willing to travel outside NYC all the way to Westchest, Margherite Torregiani (at Bodicures) in Mamaroneck is wonderful.

It can be worth it spending an extra 15 minutes on the subway each way, to get to a better practitioner, which will translate into some 6 hours over the course of a year, and potentially saving a year in treatment and some hundreds or thousands of dollars.

There is and electrologist in long island new york (syosset)
Rates are def cheaper than most in the city I’ve went to. I agree…it’s worth the distance if you can find a good electrologist. You want someone you are comfortable with

Heres her # if you want to try her out (516) 906-8505 Hope this helps!