Numbing cream

Has anyone used numbing cream (Emla, L-Max…) before a bikini wax? I may need to take my daughter for a bikini wax and I need to know if the numbing cream actually works.

She is 12 years old and has a lot of coarse dark hair growing outside of her bathing suit. She tried shaving with a venus 4-blade razor and later an electric trimmer but with sad results…red bumps and angry skin. She is very, very fair, which makes the problem quite obvious.

The timing is not right for laser now. She is going to the beach with a friend and her family this week. We then pick her up from that beach house and travel to another town for a beach vacation/family reunion for the next week.

She is so bummed about this. I didn’t have to worry about this until much later. I am sure some people won’t agree and will this she’s too young to have a wax. Trust me, I think she’s too young to have to deal with this. It is taking away some of the joy and freedom of being a kid. We are looking for a “boy short” bathing suit, but have had no luck finding one that fits her right. Ugh…early puberty. It’s really the pits.

She has no other real overgrowth of hair. She has the tiniest bit on her armpits and her lower leg hair is fine and much lighter.

Does anyone have experience with waxing using numbing cream?

Thanks for any help you can give!!

A doctor would have to prescribe the EMLA and direct you as far as dosage, for how long a time. It takes about 1.5 to 2 hours for a EMLA, properly applied, to sneak it’s way down through those deep hair structures to the nerve bundles. If shaving is done properly, then the skin may not proceed to look angry afterwards. Can you explain the shaving proceedure with more detail and the aftercare as well? Waxing will disrupt the skin as well, probably with the same results as poor shaving, so that’s why I’m back to wanting know if the area was shaved properly.

A good salon with an experienced waxer would be advised for the little one.

Oh,the hoops we humans have to jump through because of bathing suite styles and norms.

Dee

Thanks, Dee, for getting back to me. My daughter used a new blade and it looked fine right after. When she woke up the next morning, she had red bumps in the area she shaved. I had her put some hydrocortisone on --with a little improvement by the next day. It was very red and bumpy. She, of course, was super self-conscious about it.

Someone told me about a product called “tend” that she uses after shaving and/or waxing. I’ll try that.

My little one is 2 inches taller than me!!! I can’t believe it sometimes. I really just wish she didn’t have to think about this yet. I also wish I HAD started thinking about it 2 months ago! Maybe I wouldn’t feel so aggravated…annoyed…sad…right now, and would have come up with a more timely plan!

For now, I just wonder if anyone had used numbing cream with good or not-so-good results.

Although you sent me a private message asking the question, I will share my response in this thread so that others can possibly benefit.

First, before I indicate a numbing agent, I suggest you seek out a salon that offers different types of wax. Make sure that they are set up to do both hard wax and strip method waxing. Responsible facilities also do a health history as there are contraindications. Visit my website as I list them.

Waxing is usually a quick procedure and since anesthetic is not needed for much time, we suggest, Relax & Wax NO SCREAM CREAM 20% benzocaine. A tube that is about 30 grams, or one ounce, is only about $15.

Thanks, Arlene. I’ll check out your website!

That is the most creative name for a waxing product. Very cute! Thanks for that information, Arlene.

scroll down to the bottom of the page for waxing contraindications

http://breierhairremovalandskincare.com/specialshairremoval.htm

You are welcome. Now another request, this one by phone from a colleague, to address some questions on another thread… something about the number of hairs per square inch on a beard…