non-disposable needles

i had my first consultation yesterday for blend method. the electrologist told me that i will need around 3 sessions per month to clear the whole area (light hair on cheeks), 15 minutes each. i asked him if we could do more than 15 minutes, but he said that most of his clients cannot tolerate it more than 15 minutes. also that he works at a rate of 80-100 hairs per 15 min. he also said that we will need to repeat the process 10-15 times for the hair to be completely destroyed. that means 48 sessions?? it sounds extremely painful and time consuming. and the results are doubtful.

another thing that sounded strange is that he told me i will keep the needle at home and bring it with me every time. aren’t the needles used supposed to be disposable?

another thing i forgot to ask is someone who does blend uses the same machine for thermolysis too or i should find another electrologist? because ppl in this forum advised me to prefer thermolysis for fine facial hair.

Needles, probes to be exact, SHOULD NOT BE RE-USED. To open a new pre-packaged probe each treatment session is not expensive. It costs less than a dollar per probe to provide the saftey, convenience and the peace of mind you deserve as a client. Be open about this and tell a practioner you expect a better standard. You don’t say where you are from, but if there is a state regulating body for electrolysis, I would call them. Certain practioners need to get their act together.

Each person tolerates pain, discomfort, sensation differently. If my clients could only tolerate 15 minutes of treatment at a time, I’d have to evaluate my technique or my equipment. Sure,for smaller areas like the upper lip, especially the middle, I can see less tolerance, thus less time spent in that area. If he can remove hair that fast and be effective, that is great. I think, though, maybe what he was estimating timewise was 10-15 sessions needed totally - not 10-15 sessions per hair??? Yes, electrolysis is a time commitment. You spend more time upfront to clear an area, followed by less sessions farther apart as we reach the finish line.

If he does blend, he can still do thermolysis only. There are two electrical currents needed to do the blend - AC and DC currents. He can turn off the DC side (galvanic) and use the AC side (heat - thermolysis) only. He will adjust the timing to fit the intensity of the AC current for the size of hair he is treating. Soooooooooo blend epilators can also be thermolysis epilators. No big deal here.

Mainly speaking, don’t allow the “take the needle home and bring it back for re-use” thing. How cheap can you get?

thanks for your reply,you’ve been most helpful. i come from athens, greece. i dont think there is any kind of regulatory body for electrolysis here.in fact, it is very difficult to find a good electrologist here, if any electrologist at all. i have only spotted two in the area of athens. i have an appointment to meet the second one tomorrow morning. i believe their standards should be higher since it is a very big clinic with branches all over the country.

yes, he actually said that each thead of hair needs to be treated 10-15 times for the follicle to be completely destroyed. which means that i should do electrlysis 3 times per month X 15 months=48 sessions.isnt that terribly slow?

as for the needles, he said that they are “gold” or “gold plated” i am not sure i understood well. and that i can take the needle home with me everytime and also that he changes needles frequently - but not each time.

It is stories like yours that make we wish I could have an office in every part of the world giving good treatment to everyone who seeks it. This kind of stuff breaks my heart.

There are a few things about your story that bother me. On the one hand this person says all hairs must be treated up to ten to fifteen times, and GOOD treatment just would not be that way. Giving the benefit of the doubt, perhaps he just doesn’t want to explain how you have so many hairs on their own different growth schedules, so he figures that it is just easier to say what he said than try to explain what the real deal is, much the way we refer to “hair roots” when there is in fact no such thing. 100 hairs in fifteen minutes is very near the statistical limit for blend treatment, so either he is really fast, or he is plucking hairs that are not fully treated. I will again err on the side of hoping that all is well here, but to say that no one can tolerate more than 15 minutes of treatment says to me that either the technique/skill of the electrologist is lacking, and or that updated equipment is needed, and or that a better understanding of how to use the equipment being used is needed.

You need to get full clearance as quickly as possible and then keep the area clear. I don’t know how anyone can clear and keep clear anything other than an upper lip in just 15 minutes and 100 hairs per week. My clients and I remove thousands of hairs a day and can do multiple treatments in one week. That’s why anyone seeing me gets first clearance in 4 to 6 weeks. From there, we can keep that unwanted hair a secret between us until we have had a chance to see and treat all the rest before anyone else gets to see them.

It takes 7 seconds to treat a hair in blend, with a good pivot movement, one can go from one hair to the next if the hairs are in a nice neat grid styled pattern. One could remove 100 hairs per 15 minutes assuming one could treat and remove about 6 to 7 hairs per minute.

If you do end up utilizing this individual for your treatment, insist on a new probe each and every time, even if you have to pay extra! You could buy your own and bring them to the treatment and save your practitioner the expense and trouble. After all, since you are expected to bring your probe back to each treatment anyway, you may as well, just bring your own package and break one off yourself and hand it to him.

I have said it before, and I will say it again, being expected to reuse an electrolysis probe is like being expected to lick off your spoon and fork at a restaurant and reuse it the next time you come. You don’t have the equipment to resterilize a probe, and obviously your practitioner doesn’t either.

Please visit our sister site www.HairFacts.com and read up on hair growth cycles and treatment times. This is another reason we would really like those of your who have found good practitioners to post their information here, so we can help others find the good ones.

i had my first treatment today.there a few things that concern me.my problem is thin long hair all over the cheeks, something between vellus hair and terminal hair. i discussed with my electrologist about doing thermolysis as you recommended for light hair, but he insisted that his experience is that blend method is more effective and gives a lot better results, so we did blend. you said that each hair needs about 7 seconds to be treated with blend method, but he said that 3 seconds is enough and that it depends on the type of hair, type of skin, type of equipment used and that it would take longer than 3 seconds in cases where the patient cannot tolerate pain and he would have to lower the intensity. we did 3 quarters of an hour and he said that we need 15 minutes more to finish my left cheek where there are more hair.
as he pulled the hairs with the tweezers, i could feel it being removed, as when i pluck hair myself with tweezers, maybe not that intensely, but yet i could feel it. is that normal or does it mean he is not doing his job properly because more than 3 seconds are needed for the follicle to be destroyed?
when i got back home and ispected my face on the mirror, i didnt see the clearance i was expecting.there were still hair that he was reluctant to remove because as he said if we remove all that fine hair we could go on for 5 years of treatment to get a good result. which is true, because if working non-stop for 45 minutes gave such a small result, i dont even want to think about how long it would take to remove everything. but these are the hair i want to get rid of! i also noticed that some finer hair were broken. finally, i would like to know, does electrolysis work with my type of hair? should i ask him to try thermorlysis which is faster? or just give up and let them stay as they are?
the equipment he uses is “dancorh”, i guess that’s the brand or the supplier’s name. have you ever heard of that?
as for the probes, we agreed to use a new probe each time. i have never seen a probe in my life before, but i was expecting it to be very fine, like needles doctors use. instead it was rather thick and of golden colour. he said he is using the finest probes there are, but i am not so sure of that either.

Can you please tell me the locations of the clinics as im not happy with the places i have gone until now . Your help is much appreciated!

Many places in Japan & Thailand in surgeon clinics or hospitals set-up only, if they r using Kobayashi machines the kobayashi non-disposable needles must be used. Each needle for each client only.

But all others, a new sterilised disposable needle must be used for each session.