Newbie to electrolysis

So I’m new to electrolysis. I’ve had my 3rd 1 hour session this past weekend. I’ve noticed after each treatment my skin responds to the treatment like this. Is this normal? My electrologist says it’s normal and to apply 100% aloe vera to the areas. I apply neosporin to my belly (only). Am I being screwed over (skin damage) or is she right and this is completely normal? Also… she’s done about an hour on my belly (where the marks are) is this a normal amount of hair removed or is she not doing enough? I know electrolysis takes time but I feel like it’s not enough hairs removed for an hour. Maybe I’m just being impatient. How long would it take for my whole stomach to be cleared. A year or two or less? I’m feeling so discouraged at the moment and I’m barely 3 sessions in. I’m feeling discouraged looking at this hair and the red point marks. Should I get another electrologist or stick it out with the one I’m seeing? She has amazing reviews and is super nice. Maybe I need to just relax and wait it out. Will the red marks on my lower belly and upper lip ever go away??

Normal skin reaction.

looks good to me

Can constant scabbing on the upper lip cause skin damage? Such as loss of collagen/pitting? Another electrolysis in the area mentioned that I shouldn’t be having scabbing whatsoever on the upper lip. Is that true? How do I prevent the scabbing? My electrologist is using thermolysis on my upper lip and on my chin and both area always have tiny scabs on every follicle she removes.

So scabbing each time after a session is normal?Can constant scabbing on the upper lip cause skin damage? Such as loss of collagen/pitting? Another electrolysis in the area mentioned that I shouldn’t be having scabbing whatsoever on the upper lip. Is that true? How do I prevent the scabbing? My electrologist is using thermolysis on my upper lip and on my chin and both area always have tiny scabs on every follicle she removes.

scabbing when small and short lived on the upper lip or face such as is shown in your picture is acceptable depending on the method, ad whether the electrologist is using a insulated probe or not. It wont cause permanent scarring . The problem with one electrologist criticising the work of another is they dont really now the parameters of the treatment.I certainly see nothing concerning whatsoever on your lip or chin.

Good to know. What’s a better method for the upper lip: blend or thermolysis? And is an insulated or non-insulated probe better?

U can ask your therapist try variety on you to find out cause different individuals have various reactions. Some may scabs more, some don’t. Some ich with prolong odema. Some PIH. Some skin recover quickly without much inflammation.
Insulated needles can be used for thermolysis only including flash & should be avoided with galvanic or blend.
Non-insulated needles should be used with blend & galvanic.

There is no such thing as a “better method.” All modalities offer permanent hair removal. It’s all dependent on the skill of the electrologist.

wow you’re getting the full service hairtell treatment.Every one of these professionals is 100% correct. Nothing is left to assumption either.Nothing contradictory.

The choice of probe and method or modality ( 2 different things by the way) is best left to your electrologist. There’s a LOT of factors that come into play and different effect that can happen during healing.
As Thinnou pointed out insulated probes are the best type for thermolysis , as they keep the energy to one part of the probe ( the tip) and dont affect the upper surface tissues as much as a stainess or gold probe would which would lead to scabbing. But if using a galvanic or blend current a stainless probe is best to give a larger surface area for the galvanic current to convert water and salt into lye. Ironically scabbing on the upper lip is what is trying to be avoided with an insulated probe for thermolysis, but a small honey-colour scab is a sign of good treatment and healing when a galvanic current is utilized. And Hairadicator is also correct that "there’s no “better” method. All are designed to cause the destruction of the hair in the hands of operator skilled in their usage and all are capable of destruction of a hair follicle . They all can result in permanent hair removal and are very much a means to an end.

I do thermolysis all day long. Most folks are counting on my speed and accuracy to deliver them a removal in the shortest time possible. I wouldnt do thermolysis if I didnt believe it was capable of the job. But it wasnt how I first learned electrolysis , I was largely a blend practitioner for many years. I wont ever say one is better than the other. I do however admit to a particular fondness and trust for blend treatments. It’s how I removed my entire beard, and if I were to do it again, it’s still how I would choose to do it. It would NOT be the most efficient route , possibly but it’s a method I trust and which I love to perform. I’ve been treating a single client in blend recently and really reminded by that just how much I freaking LOVE the blend. so if it were me, and I were doing it all again, despite cost, or eficiency, or any other factor, it would be blend every time. But that doesnt make it “better” method either, just a preferred one.

1 Like