Newbie Question regarding waxing

Hi, great site you people have here. This question has probably been answered repeatedly, but I was too lazy to do a search, bare with me lol. Can repeated waxing ever lead to permanent hair removal? Or can repeated waxing lead to finer sparse hair growth?

Andrea went to the trouble of making this huge web site, and we all took the time to post in the questions and answers. Why don’t YOU leave lazyville long enough to click on the search button in the upper right hand corner of the top of this page and find all the answers you seek.

Now I will enable you to be co-dependent by throwing you a quicky. In short your answer is “No”, in complex the answer is “only in a few very specific instances” The search button will help you get to fill in those blanks.

Well I looked around and I couldn’t get the answer I was looking for. I’m almost positive it is not possible, but could you elaborate more on the “specific instances” in which permanent removal can occur?

Waxing may in some people cause a tiny fraction of the hairs to be damaged badly enough that they stop growing after repeated waxings. The amount will probably not be noticeable in most people. As you get older, your hair growth slows, so someone who is 40 or 50 may start to see fewer hairs returning over time, espeically on legs, eyebrows, etc. This would happen in some people without waxing, though. My dad used to have hairy legs and now it’s all wispy, and he’s never waxed ever.

Hello,
You’ve already gotten good info on your question, just thought I’d share a little of my waxing experiences.
I’m a female who’s been getting waxing done for 4 yrs…started at the age of 20.
When I started my hair was EXTREMELY dense, course & black. I have my legs, bikini area, bottom, stomach, & patches on my chest done.
When I started getting this done, I went every other week, that’s how fast my hair grew back. Every year I"ve been able to stretch my appointments out by an extra week, now I go once a month. Although my hair is not as dense, (I used to have 2-3 hairs growing out of most of the hair follicles on my legs, and although most people say it only looks like they’re all coming from the same place, my esthetician verified that they really were), it is by no means gone. It is a little finer, but then again it started out being so course, any little change is an improvement. I do have a few patches, that seem to not have regrowth, however these patches are so small I doubt anyone but me knows they’re there.
Waxing may save time compared to shaving, and is less money per treatment than laser, but isn’t permanent.

Thanks for all the info people. Ya I have hair all over my body, although the stuff on my back, shouders and upper arms is pretty fine, but noticeable. I was just curious if repeated waxings could damage the hair follicle enough that it will grow back even finer. I’ve thought about getting electrolysis done, but I think that it would be too time consuming and expensive considering how many active follicles I have. I dunno, I’m gonna make my first appointment for a back waxing this week, I’ll ask the person if they think electrolysis might be for me.

Some have reported that waxing causes hair to return thicker or more distorted, too, so there are no guarantees.

My ideal waxing session would be to get everything waxed, then to rub in some lotion that would work into the open, empty follicle, and somehow make the follicle sterile or incapable of growing again… there must be some chemical that can do that… I hope someone discovers it soon…

I find my hairs do grow back thinner and more sparse for the first 4 or 6 weeks, then the perception lessens because the hairs are getting longer, and more frequent… I have chest hairs now that are almost 1 cm, some about half a cm, and others that are just emerging… I think that if you go more than 6 or 8 weeks between waxings, the slower ones catch up and grow out, and then you get back to the original state… I do think my legs are a bit thinner, but only on the shins… everywhere else just eventually seems about the same as before…

HTH,

David

> I find my hairs do grow back thinner and more
> sparse for the first 4 or 6 weeks, then the
> perception lessens because the hairs are
> getting longer, and more frequent… I have
> chest hairs now that are almost 1 cm, some
> about half a cm, and others that are just
> emerging… I think that if you go more than 6
> or 8 weeks between waxings, the slower ones
> catch up and grow out, and then you get back to
> the original state… I do think my legs are a
> bit thinner, but only on the shins…
> everywhere else just eventually seems about the
> same as before…

I let my hair grow out over the past 8 months and I have noticed lower hair density (hairs / sq. inch) and slower regrowth. I think that waxing really does thin out the hair with repeated applications.

As Andrea said some people have negative affects, hair grows back thicker. I think a lot of it has to do with the individual person (genetics, heredity etc) Once a get my back done, I’ll let it grow back for awhile to see if I notice any changes.

I’ve waxed 4 or 5 times over the past year and let me tell you the appearance of hair is finer and less noticeable…but get wet and the hair will show back up again!!!

I have quite a big patch where hair is very fine…which is a plus!

:smile: