New user -- My experiences

Hello all, I just discovered this forum and have been reading continually for the last two hours. I stumbled on it accidentally and now I’m wondering why I never went looking for something like this. It’s amazing.

I’m a 22-year-old female. I’ve been struggling with my excess hair for at least six years. I’ve had laser hair removal. I’ve used Vaniqa. I’ve been on Yasmin. I’ve plucked, tweezed, waxed, used creams, and even tried a home electrolysis treatment at one point (I gave up on that relatively quickly).

I have very dark, coarse excess hair on my chin, neck, belly, upper legs, sideburns. I have dark hair that is not as coarse, but gets looong on my upper lip. I have some random dark, coarse hairs on my back, arms, shoulders, cheeks, and even one that grows out just below one of my breasts (I hate that one).

I had always just assumed that this was a genetic thing that couldn’t be treated (my mother also gets the dark hairs on her chin) until a new doctor, doing my annual female check-up, suggested that I might have too much testosterone. Since then, I’ve been through more hormone tests that I can remember. I do produce more testosterone than I need and a lot of my other hormone levels are screwed up. My endocrinologist has recently prescribed Spironolactone, and I’m going to pick it up from the pharmacy to-day. My OBGYN is also going to be putting me on birth control (which I expect will be Yasmin again) and trying to figure out if I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.

Yeah, that’s me medically. Emotionally… well… I feel really bad about this. It makes me feel disgusting and unattractive (the hair and my acne, also). I hate reaching up and feeling stubble on my chin. I won’t let my boyfriend touch my face, even though he knows all about my condition, because I just can’t stand for him to feel it. It makes me so self-conscious. I carry around a razor and I’m checking all the time to make sure the stubble hasn’t gotten so long that I need to shave it again. I never let anyone see me shave, even the people who know I do, because that would make it too… I don’t know… too real for me, I guess. It would be too much for me. Honestly, even writing about this is pretty hard.

So… yeah. That’s my story. I keep hoping that the new medication will help. That we’ll get to the root of my problem and everything will be fine. I’m hoping that one day all of my hormone issues will be resolved and I can get electrolysis for the remaining hair (since the laser treatment really didn’t seem to work for me).

Still hoping,
Andrea

Hi
I can completely relate to how you feel.
I also just stumbled upon this forum, which made me put my credit card away just before I was going to waste $100 on something that hasn’t worked for anyone I have read posts from in here. I am 24, and have been dealing with the unsightly facial hair since I was 18. I have the on-the-go razor, and I refuse to let anyone know about it. Its so humiliating to me, and I always hear my friends making fun of women with facial hair (I wonder sometimes if its me they pick on when I am not there).
I have been to ashamed to ever even try to do anything about it. Too embarressed to even tell my doctor, out of some absurd fear that it would leak out. I have tried every over the counter thing I can get my hands on.
I am so glad I found this site. I know its silly but I felt like I was the only one who felt this way and had this problem. Now I know better.
Thanks to everyone who writes on this site, and gives advice to those of us just coming to terms with what may be a fixable problem. I am going to the doctor to see if she has any recommendations, and I even started researching people who do electrolysis in my area.
If i hadn’t found this site, I would probably have continued to be completely miseable ALONE. I hope to be writing in here sometime soon with some positive news! Until then, THANKS for giving me hope, and I am open to any tips or helpful advise.
Phoenix

Hi,

Having noticable facial hair has been a problem since I was 11 years old. That’s when I started waxing my upper lip and by the time I got into my late teens, I was waxing twice - sometimes three -times a week. Then I started noticing small lines appearing around my lips. I instinctively knew it was from all the waxing. In addition, I started sprouting very thick black hairs where I had previously plucked.

If it wasn’t for this site, I would never have made the leap to electrolysis. It has opened a whole new world for me for which I’ll be forever grateful. My upper lip is looking absolutely fabulous now and I have been working on other parts of my body which I have found excess hair to be bothersome (bikini and legs).

I feel I can now travel without fear. I can have a normal relationship and am not having to cover up unsightly waxing scars and digging into my skin for those extra thick hairs that were just below the surface but were very noticable.

My face is the most important part to rid of excess hair but I find as I am working, studying etc, I have no time to continually wax, shave etc my legs, underarms, bikini so I have opted to go the electrolysis route for these areas too and am seeing fantastic results. I will definitely be hair free within a year.

If I can help anyone, let me know! I’m more than happy to spread the word about something that works and my only regret is that I didn’t do this YEARS ago!

Electrobaby