New type laser

Before attempting removal of hair from my face and neck, I did much research which included two clinics that were run by MDs. One of my major concerns was that I desired permanent removal and had heard contradictory comments on this aspect. One of the clinics told me they used a new type of laser that was actually a combination of laser and radio frequencies and that, in fact, it was a permanent solution. I went to the site of the laser manufacturer and there found representations that this new laser did yield permanent results, worked on most colors of hair including white and gray, and that skin tone was less relevant than with earlier lasers. I decided to “go for it” and so far, here’s what I’ve found.

First, they estimate the need for 6 treatments and the cost was fixed at $2,105. After the sixth treatment, they guarantee their work for two years and will continue to treat you during that time if necessary. [The manufacturer’s representation does in fact say that light hair may require more treatments than dark hair.] This clinic offers - through a third party - the ability to pay over 18 months, interest free.

As of today, 11/14/06, I’ve had 4 treatments, the last being on Oct. 16. One week after the first treatment, hair growth slowed to nil for about a month and then the next phase of growth started. I noticed blank patches which I would estimate covered 25% of my face. I ice my face for 3 hours after each treatment and then apply lots of aloe gel. After each treatment, my face did break out with a sort of rash that resembles a mild case of acne which usually resolved within four days and really didn’t look all that bad.

The second treatment also resulted in slow hair growth and about another 20% loss of hair. The third treatment was much less satisfactory. When I went for the fourth treatment, I asked the technician about the fluctuation I was seeing in results. In reviewing my file, she noted that the technician who performed the third treatment was less than adequately aggressive. She explained there should be no problem being more aggressive and that, in fact, the laser provides feedback to the operator so they know how aggressive they can be without causing skin damage. See did a “double pass” during my fourth treatment. My skin did take about two weeks to heal from the small acne-like bumps. [BTW, my morning routine includes putting aloe on my face.] It is about four weeks since that treatment and I would estimate my face is 90% clear. About half of this is white hairs, mostly on my chin and upper neck just under the chin. I can go three days without shaving if I choose as the growth is that slow.

After the third treatment, the spacing between treatments was decreased from 8 weeks to 3.5 - 4 weeks. I have scheduled treatments 5, 6, and 7 for 11/21, 12,19, and 01/16. In short, so far I am very satisfied. Obviously, it will be some time before I can report back on whether these treatments truly result in permanent hair removal. So far, the manufacturer’s and clinics representations as to expectations and interim progress have been totally accurate.

<sigh> sounds like either the aurora or comet lasers i had at american laser center.

both are by syneron (manufacturer). i tried to look these up on their website. it looks like they discontinued them. although, they still have the same old pdf files claiming laser+radio is “permanent.”

i had about a dozen treatments with these lasers. all it did was give me lots of pain, irritation, and patchy hair loss. its been 9 months since my last treatment and i’ve seen very slow regrowth.

I suggest you do a google for “laser hair removal” and “permanent.” the FDA site will come up. read what it says about use of the word “permanent.” to claim permanence all a laser company has to do is

1. show some hair in the treated area fell out

2. that hair did not grow back for a period of time greater than one growth phase (i.e. a couple months for most sites on the body).

no one on here has had good results with laser+radio. also if it is american laser center that’s even worse.

Shayna.

Now you should be finding an electrologist to concentrate on eliminating those white hairs. Laser can’t help you there. We’ll be anxious to hear from you 3,6,9,12 months from now about your progress.

Good luck.

Dee

As jimmyjames pointed out, it sounds like the clinic that gets tons of negative reviews here, am laser center. some things that you should be aware of:

1. neither this machine or any other laser will actually work on your light or white hair. it’s just a marketing ploy.

2. having treatments every 4 weeks is not effective or necessary and will only confuse you as to how much reduction you are actually seeing because you’re not waiting long enough for new previously dormant hair to come in. treatments shouldn’t be done less than 8 weeks apart.

3. these machines are not the most effective. the RF component is considered pretty useless by most professionals in the industry. if they’re treating you with a Comet machine, then ask to just use the diode component without the RF. and if they’re using Aurora, that’s an even worse machine since it’s an IPL, not a laser.

4. You will still need electrolysis to clear up finer and light hair after your treatments.

There isn’t much good to say about the aurora laser therapy. If you do some reading and research I’m sure that you’ll also find that this is true.

~ Megan @ Hair Removal [hair-removal-options dot com] A Guide to find the best hair removal option for you