New to electrolysis - what to expect?

Hi…I am a 37 year old female with questions about electrolysis…I have been tested in the past for hormone problems and all tests came back negative…I am a few pounds overweight, but nothing big that would cause excessive hair growth, I was told I am just one of the “lucky ones”…my eyebrows and upper lip aren’t bad…I manage just fine with waxing…the problem is my sideburns and running down my jawline…as I am getting older, it is getting worse…I tried laser in 98 - I went to one of the “top” doctors in the tri-state area…paid a fortune, did not complete all the sessions and I am back to square one. Since then, I have tried waxing…and for the past few years have been tweezing (I know now, that is one of the worst things I could have done)…

Anyway, I have done a lot of research online and scheduled an appointment for next week…I am REALLY nervous!! I stopped tweezing a week or so ago and have been shaving…I don’t even want to leave my house - I am SO insecure and terrified someone is going to see my stubble! I had no idea until I stopped tweezing how bad it is, but I want my visit to be as productive as possible…

Here are my questions…

1. Is there anyone in Somerset County/Hunterdon County that has done electrolysis, or knows anyone that does it? I got a good feeling from the woman I spoke to on the phone, but if anyone in my area has experience, I would love to hear it.

2. How many sessions should I expect?

3. I have read a lot about the pain, and I am trying to get a heads up as to how painful I will find it…I know everyone is different, but I wax no problem (eyebrows, upper lip and Brazilian bikini), I am an active blood and platelet donor (needles), no problem…laser I thought was horrible, but I was also 12 years younger and when I first tried waxing, I thought it sucked and had to leave mid appointment due to pain! Should I be ok, or should I arrange for someone to take me?

4. Do I tip?

5. ANY input, suggestions, etc would be GREATLY appreciated!! I am REALLY nervous, but also excited…I feel like this is one of my biggest insecurities and I hope electrolysis is my answer!!

Disclosure: I would like to address these questions, even though it appears that you would like another consumer to answer them.

How many sessions? Impossible for anyone to answer. Usually, consistent clearings result in being done or almost done somewhere around 18 months. The reason it is impossible to answer is that everyone has a different physiology.

Painful? With all the methods you have used, it should be fairly minimal. If it is too painful, then consider seeking treatment elsewhere. It stings, it’s quick, it’s worth it!

Just plain worried? Relax. That will help the sensation. Drink lots of water, don’t drink coffee prior to your session. Listen to the electrologists recommendations. Keep up your dedication to getting rid of the hair and you will be very happy with the results.

Wishing you the best!

Thank you so much!! I appreciate ANY and ALL feedback!! I am terrified! Normally, I would talk to my friends, or ask someone to go with me, but it is SO embarrassing, I really don’t want anyone to even know! (for all I know, they have known for years that I struggle with this, but haven’t wanted to embarrass me or make me more self conscious)

I keep telling myself, even if the pain is horrible, if it works, it will be worth it!