New stuff for FREE

You would have a better understanding of these problems since you were intimate with the profession and the industry for so many decades.
On the consumer side, I believe people perceive laser as a technological leap in fast hair removal. Electrolysis is seen as obsolete, super slow and very expensive process. Consumers want fast results, not commitment to hundreds of hours on a treatment table over 18 months. Laser also enjoys more exposure and promotion as this modality has a healthy relationship with medical profession. Every young dermatologist finishing up their residency knows about lasers and laser hair removal through their training exposure. Do you think any of them hear a sentence about world of electrology?
Then you have a problem with stagnation in electrology from shrinking schools to industry that isn’t doing anything to promote itself. What will happen once TES owners retire and Skip retires? It is sad how Laurier an innovative probe is gone forever and couldn’t be saved.

100% totally and absolutely RIGHT! Ditto ditto ditto! Example: in my little town (Santa Barbara), back “in the day,” there were 11 electrologists all doing well. Today there is only ONE (and a half … I’m the half). This remnant electrologist works in a hair salon and only does eyebrows and other tiny jobs. Also, if you look at the photographs of the last AEA convention (see AEA website), there are virtually no YOUNG people. Mostly old relics (like me). Indeed, the casket is not yet nailed shut … but, it’s getting there.

For my own “half practice,” virtually all my clients were former laser patients (failed), that spent upwards of $10,000 on laser treatments. So, well, there it is.

I’m seeing some younger electrologists up here in Canada Michael, but yes, there are plenty near retirement too. But I’m getting out of the “education game” . No more apprentices for me, just isnt worth it. And there is growing confusion amoung consumers, some of whom have no idea what difference there even is between laser and electrology.

I agree 100% Seana …Ssometimes you feel like you’re talking to an alien from another planet. You just get tired of it.

1 Like

Myron (TES) is the only one I know in the US that can fix some of the older machines and he is 81 years old.

It got worse … way worse. The “new” Hinkel company not only gave up on Fischer and Hinkel, stopped servicing machines … they also refused to sell Myron the left-over spare parts or schematics … so there is virtually no fix at all possible for the Hinkel and Fisher units still in operation. Heimlich no longer repairs or services any machine.

I had no idea he stopped working on machines. Should my Hinkel backup fail it will make an interesting decoration. I can put it under a spotlight and wring my hands about the good old days …

1 Like

I just don’t understand the people who acquire a company and then completely bail, abandoning an entire industry that relies on support still. If you don’t want to fix them why deprive others from doing it. Sell the schematics and parts to people that want to keep servicing…

The profession has a long history of defunct companies that had great products. The owner retires, dies, or they sell out and the new owners run it into the ground. Defunct epilator companies: A. R. Hinkel, Fischer, Sudonna, Proteus, Gentronics, Kree, Hoffman, RCX-Westrex, Mogilner, Juniper & Norris, Skin Deep Inc., House of St. James, Thermiquetron.

1 Like

There are still many Madame Boom Booms out there … Lucy Peters was probably one of the last “major” Boom Booms … and, still going, in a NYC office … Below, is a direct quote from the website. Note “exclusive and patented.” I wonder just what is “patented?” The combined laser/electrolysis protocol? Or, as Peters claimed … the electrolysis process itself. I met Lucy Peters at a plastic surgery convention, had lunch with her and heard her entire “spiel.” She assumed I was a physician and I didn’t correct her “error.” I got to hear it all without censorship. Following is from today’s website:

“Created by Lucy Peters, a name renowned as a staple in smooth, we are the hair removal experts! With our very own exclusive, patented technology as part of a customized treatment system, everyone is 100% guaranteed to transform into their smoothest, most beautiful self. Anyone, any hair, anywhere.”

Lucy Peters has a proprietary machine (perhaps it is patented) but the process itself is just 27 megahertz flash thermolysis. All of the puffery makes it sound like a new high-tech super-secret invention that no one else has.

I believe Skip told me that her machine was made by instantron … an instantron machine with a different name. Indeed, all the puffery has, over the years, worked against the field of electrology. Frankly, “my special treatment” is still somewhat the norm. Also, Laurier made her “exclusive” needle too (gold coated) … just a standard insulated needle. I wish I could have recorded her total disrespect and trashing of all other modes of electrolysis. “Only my method works, and all the other methods do NOT work.” Lovely! Madame Boom Boom!

How kind. I am just starting out with my training and already your YouTube videos have helped me so much. Thank you. I will be forever grateful for your generosity in sharing your amazing knowledge.

Oh boy … you sure made my day! Thank you so much! Best Wishes to you! “Welcome aboard too!”

2 Likes

Thank you, I feel very fortunate to have come across you, your YouTube channel and this group too. Can one become addicted to electrolysis?I think I maybe lol.

1 Like

I don’t know how this came to my attention, but one of my favorite electrology clients died last year. I removed his entire beard. Michael Aquino was teaching Political Science at the university at the time (many years ago). He was kind, gentle … probably the most intelligent person I’ve ever known … and also a “Satanist.” (Actually the “Temple of Set” … an Egyptian deity.)

Bizarre to find this on Christmas Eve? Anyway, you can look at his photos (on-line) to see the removed beard … last time I spoke to Michael was probably 10-years ago … and still no dreaded re-growth. The photo you see here is when I knew Michael (with Sammy). BTW those eyebrows were 100% natural … they just grew that way. People often ask if I’ve worked on “famous people.” I say, “Yes, I worked on the Devil Himself!”

Before

I would think it’s odd and rare for a career military officer to want full beard removal including the mustache area.

I think so too … He was, indeed, one of the most interesting clients I’ve had … If I remember correctly, he wanted to attain a “strange” look … and did achieve that objective. He was friends with George Lucas and came into my office one day, in a full “Darth Vader” costume … the actual “get up” … (before the original movie was released). At the time, I didn’t know who “Darth” was and thought it was some sort of Satan costume. DAMN! Frankly, all of his activities were theatrical and a gigantic spoof on all of us.

Out of curiosity I looked up the patent for “The LPS 33 Epilator” that Lucy Peters uses
Patent Info Here

I read a decent chunk and it didn’t sound like quackery but then again I am totally new and am not well versed in most of the terminology as I am just a student.

The men who invented it look to be fairly intelligent.
Harry Edwards Betsill and Michael Joseph Kovacevich

I did look them up. Betsill died back in 2013 and it seems he had other inventions patented too. Seems like a smart guy. Dupont owns / has interest in at least one of his patents and he invented some sort of breathalyser unit.

Betsill patents
Kovacevich seemed to only have patents related to electrology

Kovacevich patents

Could very well be a legitimate step forward in the technology (inventors) but the messenger (Lucy Peters) is a little much which turns people off.

@skipmahler and @Bono You probably would be able to read the documents and see if maybe it is indeed a collection of advancements or maybe just one or two that deserves a second look setting Lucy Peters (owner of the rights) aside.

Anyone care to actually dig into it in full and give their opinion once being fully read?

Not worth delving into. Throughout our (electrology) history, many patents have been filed. Marge Smith (Clareblend) patented her (she was first) solid-state machine, Henri St. Pierre patented the blend method, various HF frequencies have been patented, entire circuit boards have been patented, needle designs have been patented … it’s a very long list.

Indeed, there have been some notable skirmishes between manufacturers and none of them were worth the time and money to “protect” something of virtually no value … or, ability to protect. “Popcorn patents!” These sorts of well-written patents are marketing ploys to claim one unit better than others. Copyrights, Trade Names and Patents … lawyer stuff and not worth debating.