New Soprano Laser - Does it really work?

Hello All!

Last night there was a special on Channel 3 news in Philadelphia about this new laser that uses a green light and a low fluence to PERMANENTLY remove hair. Can anyone provide more details? More information below:

http://cbs3.com/health/local_story_218210813.html

Aug 6, 2007 11:00 pm US/Eastern

Health: Removing Unwanted Body Hair

Stephanie Stahl
Reporting

(CBS 3) PHILADELPHIA In health, there is a new and painless way to tackle unwanted hair … a common problem for millions of women and men. Medical Reporter Stephanie Stahl says it’s a permanent solution.

Christine Dimmig said she couldn’t even feel the hair on her upper lip being removed.

In a matter of minutes, it was gone forever. No more waxing the area every couple weeks.

She relied on shaving to get rid of hair on other areas of her body.

“In the shower, I start with the under arms, bikini, legs and it’s a process I do everyday,” said Christine.

Hoping to shorten her morning routine, Christine is also having her under arms permanently removed with the newest kind of laser that destroys hair follicles. Best of all, it’s painless.

“The patient feels less pain because the energy is a lower pulse,” according to Bryn Mawr Dermatologist Victoria Cirillo-Hyland.

She’s one of the first in our area to have the new Soprano laser.

“You’re delivering the energy much more quickly. So you don’t have to use as much energy,” said Dr. Cirillo-Hyland.

James Southworth decided to undergo the procedure to remove hair on his back.

“It’s slightly warm but there’s no pain at all,” said James.

To allow him to get a better idea just how pain free the Soprano laser is, Dr. Cirillo-Hyland gave him a few zaps with the old laser.

“It feels like hot pins and needles,” explained James.

Now after years of feeling self conscious, James is looking forward to finally being able to take his shirt off without being embarrassed.

“I was thinking about going back to the gym and you know maybe getting a tan for once," said James.

Christine was also thrilled with her new smooth skin.

It usually takes a couple sessions for the new laser to get rid of all the hair.

Each session lasts about a half hour and costs between $450 and $1,200.

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

I just found this site with the specifications. It states that is also treats ALL hair types. Has anyone used this laser?

http://www.a-b-c-uk.com/products_soprano.html

I’ve just started using the SopranoXL. I previously used the Soprano. I have just had 2 days training with the MD of abc.

Mike, the link you posted is for the old Soprano. The new SopranoXL is not listed on the abc website yet. abc are the UK distributor. Further technical information for the SopranoXL is available on the manufacturers website, Alma lasers.

I’ll report back with results.

nothing new. we’ve discussed this at length. i suspect this is a pitch by ALC and Syneron promoting their deal. this is the machine that that chain switched to and everyone on these forums have been complaining about. run a search here. all the stuff there is marketing hype as usual. this is a diode. it’s nothing new. it’s actually bad that it’s new at this point since it sounds like most of employees at ALC chains don’t know how to use it to get clients results, judging by experiences posted here. run a search for Soprano.

Well I had a whole body treatment with soprano XL laser and quite liked it. It was my second treatment and in the first one they used Harmony XL laser which was much more painful than Soprano XL. They got this machine this month and every patience is agreed that it is better and comfortable. I had the courage to have my bikini line treated with Soprano XL.

I quite like the new Soprano Laser.
I have tried the new laser about a week ago.

We use the Soprano XL at our clinic at it’s great. Almost zero discomfort, no need for any creams or whatever, extremely fast and people are very happy with the results even after 4 treatments.

some more light on this please experts (andrea and team). This sounds too good to be true.

From the looks of things this is nothing more than marketing of another diode laser. They may pulse it a little faster or slower but they are just trying to increase their market share. It appears to have no advantage (or disadvantage) over similar diode lasers. Just because it may appear green, it’s not a green laser. They probably have green led’s behind the infrared 810nm laser diodes to make it appear green and therefore different. A green laser will not differentiate between oxygenated blood or melanin and is therefore useless for hair removal. There is no magic here, just more marketing. Will it work as well as other diode lasers for hair removal? Probably. If you are looking for a more permanent result, stick with electrolysis.

My friend who is very fair and has dark hair had 3 sessions with this machine. It has made a huge difference on her legs and underarms. So seeing how effective is was for her I went for a treatment for my arm. I had done laser on my arm before and had horrible results. basically i ended up with more. i only had 1 treatment just recently. the setting used for my skin type was 7 and 10 is the highest. it did not hurt like the old laser. it was extremely warm though. I got red which is normal for me and after few hours the redness was gone. No shedding as of now-it’s been only 3 days.

Hi,

sorry for opening an old thread. I’ve just had my 5th treatment with the Soprano XL machine. I’m having my back and shoulders done. I have light skin and fairly dark hair coving the whole area. I thought I did quite a bit of reading on the hair removal subject before I went ahead and booked myself in but after continuing reading throughout the process I am now worried that the treatment wont be having much of an effect. I have it done every 7 weeks but I find it hard to judge how much the growth has stopped. My question is: 2-3 weeks after the treatment all the hair does fall out and is not patchy, does this mean that the treatment is definitely working and that those hair follicles are dead? I only ask because hair still seems to grow back in the same areas as before, maybe I am just expecting too much.

thanks in advance for any replies

I know this is an old thread, but it comes up when googling Soprano. So I thought I should share my experience. I hold the belief of ‘no pain, no gain’ after my experience. I’ve had 3 treatments at 2 different locations for different areas. The location that treats my arms was painless, but it also does not work. I had some fallout but the hair keeps coming back. The other location treats the areas for much longer, and there is heat and prickling of the hair follicles. I have had almost full fallout, and the hair is coming in much thinner and less of it.

So, I have to say that Soprano does work, but the technician has to know what they’re doing. I would also say that if you don’t feel anything, then nothing is happening. That comes from my experience. I have asked the technician to treat the area longer for my arms, and definitely felt the prickling, and I’m hoping this time I will see results.

I don’t have any experience with other lasers, but since they’ve proven themselves over the years I would go with them. I am using the Soprano because I bought online deals. It saves me a lot of money, but I also have to be careful it’s not a waste of money either. So if you go with the Soprano, make sure the technician is experienced.