New Products!

Early next year, Gillette will be introducing a new five bladed razor, known as the Fusion:

http://www.gillette.com/men/index_fusion.htm

Braun, which is also owned by Gillette will be introducing a new electric shaver known as the 360 Complete, with a new blade design:

http://www.braun.com/global/360complete/360complete.html

The 360 Complete is supposedly already available in Europe. The new foil and cutter will also fit on the current Activator models.

RJC2001

Hi RJC

I suppose we must ask ourselves how many blades we will stop at. I must say I am a bit sceptical if 5 blades will shave any closer than 3 for example. Also how close can you shave with a blade anyway. I remember when double blades were introduced and were very popular for a few years. Then 3 became fashion and then 4, now it’s 5. Unless you go to lazer or electrolysis you can’t remove more than the hair at the skins surface. I suppose there is a possible “pull back” benefit with multibladed razors with the hair retracting beneath the skin surface for a short while, but again how much better with 4 or 5 blades? How long does hair retraction last as well. I feel stubble after a blade within a few hours anyway. Just some points I thought may be of interest.

Regards
Stuart

Hi:

I think a plus is that you could shave faster, and less chance of missing an area.

Drawbacks are more expensive. They tend to gum up in between the blades if the hair is a bit longer and the spacing and openings are more narrow.

I haven’t graduated from 3 blades even, and really got started with the old safety razor with that stupid, flat blade which you had to be very careful with loading in. Nothing like that cold metal holder either in the middle of winter. Thanks a lot for that one dad!

Alicia

Hi RJC

I suppose we must ask ourselves how many blades we will stop at. I must say I am a bit sceptical if 5 blades will shave any closer than 3 for example. Also how close can you shave with a blade anyway. I remember when double blades were introduced and were very popular for a few years. Then 3 became fashion and then 4, now it’s 5. Unless you go to lazer or electrolysis you can’t remove more than the hair at the skins surface. I suppose there is a possible “pull back” benefit with multibladed razors with the hair retracting beneath the skin surface for a short while, but again how much better with 4 or 5 blades? How long does hair retraction last as well. I feel stubble after a blade within a few hours anyway. Just some points I thought may be of interest.

Regards
Stuart

I was wondering where the one-upmanship will end? I really like the Gillette shavers so I will probably try the Fusion. I don’t know if I will try the Quattro Power (4 blades) though. The 3 bladed Mach3 Turbo (as well as the M3 Power) work better for me than the Quattro.

I agree with Aliciadarling that more blades can give a closer shave, but there has to be a point of diminishing returns. The Mach 3 razors have worked better than the dual blade Sensors for me. I’ll get the Fusion when it is available and report back.

Speaking of new products, Philips Norelco has introduced some new shavers called Smart Touch/Speed XL. There are two additional rings of blades, with a screen consisting of slots and holes. The shaving area is increased by 50% so that could mean a faster shave. Stuart, since you are a Norelco fan that may be worth a try.

Hopefully after a few more laser treatments on my legs, choice of razor/shaver may not be so important.

RJC2001

Hi RJC

Thanks for the tip on the new Norelco. I have been using the same one for my face and legs for many years, but the increased area will almost certaily speed up leg shaving. It may well be worth the cost of having 2 units.

Regards
Stuart

Hi RJC

Thanks for the tip on the new Norelco. I have been using the same one for my face and legs for many years, but the increased area will almost certaily speed up leg shaving. It may well be worth the cost of having 2 units.

Regards
Stuart

Although I am a Braun fan, I am really curious about this new Norelco.

RJC2001

Hi RJC

As soon as it becomes available I will buy one and report back. It is launched in the States yet?

Regards
Stuart

Hi RJC

As soon as it becomes available I will buy one and report back. It is launched in the States yet?

Regards
Stuart

Yes, some models are available in the US already. I saw one at Walmart for $146. I don’t recall if it had the clean and charge unit (self-cleaning) or not. From what I have read the clean and charge unit is not all that fantastic and not really necessary.

RJC2001