New methods

Everyone knows that laser, because of its lack of success, is not the ultimate method of hair removal. Everyone knows that electroylsis, because of its amount of time, is not the answer. And everyone knows everything else is very temporary. Therefore I think the emphasis should be put on new methods of hair removal. I think there are some out there that could have a good chance of working. Im sick of trying to find a successful way of removing hair. With the advances in medicine and technology, we should be able to find a solution to a very old problem. And I think the increase in popularity of permanent hair removal should be more than enough to create a huge profit for such a product. I am willing to wait for a permanent solution rather than shuffling throught methods of hair removal that leave me feeling constantly prickly. The emphasis should be put on and the consumer should demand better products and hang on.

I agree. There is tons of research on methods of regrowing hair…if we can do that then why can’t we get rid of it? It would help so many people and make everyone on this board a lot happier with themselves. An excellent investment that no one seems to be making great strides toward.

Well Pixie,

I do think they are strides being made towards permanent hair removal, biotech companies (no matter what the probability of there individual success is) are realizing the opportunity that is there to make money. For example, SIRNA Therapeutics and Quest Pharmatech (see gene therapy section) are companies trying to get in this market. However I was commenting more on how the products or methods that are currently available are ridiculous. Most of all laser. Now I have had laser treatments and have had some reduction, however I dont believe the price should be anywhere nears as much as it is, based upon the results it gives. I am disgusted by laser companies who are charging helpless people with a serious problem ridiculous amounts of money for a product that might or can cause a reduction in hair. Its simply ludicrous and I curse the laser companies for taking advantage of people who are desperate. I also think that a few years down the line, even if one of these new methods doesnt take over, the word about the ineffeciency of laser will get out and that will drive the cost way down. For right now lets hope these companies have success in there clinical trials and can put these laser companies out of business.

Oooh and dont anyone tell me electrylosis is the answer, cause in ten years when i am finished, am positive they will be something that works better and quicker (hopefully SIRNA). id rather save my money

Too much $$$$$$$$$ in removal rather than permanency. I agree Mack. Do you think gillette/ any razor co. would buy the patent to a permanent hair removal system to stash in a box in the basement…I do.

I know you are right, however consumer demand and other companies prospect of making money is too high that gillette cannot stop it from happening. Also I think gillette realizes the prospects and are actually getting into the permanent hair removal market. They are currently working on manufacturing and commercializing a home-use laser system for women. I agree that selling razors at twelve bucks for a 4 pack is in there best interest, but the market is driven by the demand of the consumer and too many companies that see the profibility in permanent hair removal (because of the rise in laser hair removal, which we all know is just a step to creating a real permanent hair removal product, not the answer) are becoming aware of this. They should also understand that there is a constant influx of millions of teenagers going throught puberty. Its not like a permant hair removal product will come out, everyone will use it and then there will be no use for the product. The economics of such a product has such an upside and long-term future that gillette shoud not try to stop, but become a part of this market. Which i think they will do. Plus i dont think they will completely lose out because they will always have men’s razors. thats not going anywhere.

Good point-I hope you’re right.