New friction product: Smooth Away

This one is getting a lot of airplay as direct response TV ads:

https://www.getsmoothaway.com/

For more on this method:

http://www.hairfacts.com/methods/friction.html

I like the friction method a lot…prefer the Smooth Away product…not as abrasive as other products I tried. Removal takes longer than shaving, but it definately leaves your skin much softer, clearer. I’ve shaved my legs since 3rd grade (dark, semi-coarse hair) and thought this thing wouldn’t work on me. I was wrong. I still shave when I’m in a hurry, but I prefer the Smooth Away method and product. They also have a moisturizer that helps slow hair re-growth…really nice stuff, smells good too. Took a couple of months to see the benefit of the lotion, but I did. My son is now using these products on his back and shoulders and has found it to work for him too…and he doesn’t get the eruptions (pimples) he got with wax or depilatories.

I received this as a Christmas present and didn’t think it would work. I tried it, and still didn’t think it worked. But I kept at it and after about 15 minutes of buffing, the hair was suddenly all gone. My skin was so smooth, it was amazing. Then, being a skeptic, I was sure there would be a horrible abrasion or something there the next day, but no. Just nice smooth skin. So the trick to this product is, you have to use it for a long time, even though it seems like nothing is happening. Eventually, the hair will be gone.

Are you implying that the hair be gone for good? Can you keep us posted about this product as far as skin condition is concerned? What part of your body are you using this?

No, no – not for good. It’s just an alternative to shaving or using creams. I’ve used it on my upper lip, chin, and arms. Legs would take way too long.

I picked up a knock-off version of this by accident called “Smooooth Legs.” I know, it’s stupid, you don’t have to tell me :stuck_out_tongue:

I used it on the back of my shoulders. All I can say is OUCH! It gave me a HUGE red spot! I may have rubbed it against my skin too hard, but that was the only way I could get rid of the hair.

Is the real product good though? Do you have to rub really hard until your skin gets red just to get it to work?

I have used Smooth Away and was not impressed. It did not smooth away the hair. A competitor -Velvet Touch- works well for me and works best on fine hair. Velvet Touch (purple/sensitive) is painless and effective but Velvet Touch (pink/normal) is very painful to use and leaves the skin feeling irritated!

Where did you get the Velvet Touch from?

I used a product somewhat like this on my legs… it works quite well. Mine was pretty much a cone of very fine sandpaper. The friction generates heat but I didn’t end up with a rash or anything. I think you’d have to be careful that you didn’t do it on sensitive areas. I stopped using it because… I couldn’t be bothered.

I bought it from Lawtons in Canada but you can also get it at Walmart. Unfortunately the purple coloured pads (for sensitive skin- very gentle on the skin) aren’t in the stores anymore but you can buy them online from the company. They thankfully no longer sell the dark pink ones (very harsh on the skin!) but the light pink ones are still available in store (not as gentle as the purple ones but much gentler than the dark pink ones).

Please be careful when you use those products. I had a client today with lot of damage on the skin. She only used once about 3 months ago on her face and it is taking this long to heal. She has been seeing dermatologist and her doctor finally gives her OK to get electrolysis done, but her skin still looked red and scabby.

So please be careful. Do not give it a chance to get infection.

Does this help with thin body hair?

Does it work good on the fine thin hairs on the shoulders?

No to the friction method! I have used every type of hair removal method, friction being one of them; sad to say that this method only gave me terrible ingrown hair, yes it was smooth at first but then the ingrown hair appeared, like nothing I have ever tried. It could work for those that have thinner BODY hair, I would not recommend it for use on the face. I have very thick body hair but around my knees the hair was thinner, now I barely feel any hair around my knees, was it the friction method? (I used a pumice stone) My guess is, it could of been. Do I recommend it though? No, I do not; the ingrown hair I got afterwards were so bad and left me with with some scars afterwards that I had to stop using it completely. You are better of with something that won’t damage your skin.

Yes it does, depends what body part you use it for though.
You may want to avoid the face, arms and bikini area (Some people still use it on those parts and it works perfectly for them)

Should work fine. Just make sure you don’t rub it too hard.

One of my friend used this and she had some damage on her skin. Her skin was still red . I am suffering with hair removal works . I tried many thing . Waxing is painfull process and it also gives harm to body . Shaving is easy way but unwanted hair grows strongly and fast . SO ı prefer Using Epilator Using Epilator. If you have good epilator you can solve unwanted hair problem easily .

I’ve never heard about this method, but as I see you are saying it gives you ingrown hairs… so better to avoid it.