New forum for dark skinned patients!!

This forum is excellent Andrea! However, being dark skinned, some of us would like to read testimonials from people like ourselves without needing to verify a patient’s skin color. In addition, it would be nice to have all the info in one place instead of searching for “dark skinned” “colored” etc…in the search boxes.

So, please visit this forum I have set up to have one place for testimonials of colored people.

http://darkskinlaser.com/forums/

From what I have read here, there are few dark skinned patients having success or even attempting laser hair removal. I am hoping some people post success stories on that forum!

You posted this in the Electrolysis section.

There would never be a reason to post a separate dark skinned forum in an electrolysis section, as electrolysis works without regard to skin, or hair color. It just works.

Where your forum advertisement would be relevant would be over on the Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation forums.

Well based on my experiences with electrolysis spread between three qualified practitioners who have all been doing it for at least ten years each:

1. It didn’t work in some parts.

2. It seems to have worked in some parts, although just like laser with many patients, I am not completely sure as it might come back in another year and then I would change my mind.

3. It caused hyperpigmentation in a few places that hasn’t gone for over a year.

You keep saying electrolysis is permanent in the right hands and with the right machine and magnification and consistent treatment. However, in my opinion, these so-called “right hands and right machine” constitute maybe 30% of all electrolysis practitioners? Or is that too optimistic? And just like yourself, all three of my electrologists claimed to have these so called “in the right hands”.

Just like laser, a number of people have posted that electrolysis can often lead to dark hairs coming back lighter, especially with thrermolysis.

And I think way too many electrologists exaggerate how fast the treatment should be – including all three of mine.

If you check out the new forums and the main website (www.darkskinlaser.com), you will see that I am not biased towards laser as many laser practitioners are. I specifically tout the uncertainties and “permanent reduction” regarding laser. However, in my opinion, electrolysis has pretty much all the same problems. The only area laser is worse, is possibly causing more skin color changes. However, to me, it seems that this doesn’t happen with the “right hands and machines” as you love to keep bringing up in the cases of numerous electrolysis failures.

And I see you posting in the laser forums all the time. Perhaps you should take your own advice and stick to what you have practiced?

I would tend to agree with you on many points.

Finding “the right hands and equipment” is not as easy as falling off a log, and I don’t often post in the LASER section. When I do, it is usually because someone has asked a question regarding comparing that format to electrolysis.

I feel I am forced to reply to this,
I am “dark skinned” being mixed race I feel I qualify,
I also suffer from hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentatin,this was caused by both shaving and electrolysis. The few marks I received from the latter have almost gone, sadly the hypopigmentation which remains (under my chin) was caused by shaving,black skin is prone to mark.

I most say ELECTROLYSIS CHANGED MY LIFE,before I had this treatment I shaved twice a day.

I first started pure galvanic electrolysis last year June,I am almost clear,the hair removed did not grow back,only hair in the growing stage was removed,about 10 maybe 15 not in the growing stage,these grew back finer but these were removed the next time and are gone for good, it is over a year since and still clear.

I will say, years ago I had blend and flash and all the hair grew back,I was also very badly marked but that could have been because I used make-up before I should have (all the marks have gone),I had no idea about after care,
THIS SITE AND JAMES TAUGHT ME ALL I KNOW ABOUT AFTER CARE, even more than the books.

THIS SITE AND JAMES HAVE GIVEN ME BACK MY LIFE,ELECTROLYSIS
REALLY WORKS.

joyaan…how long did u have the electrolysis for before the treatment work?..do u still go in for touch ups now n then or dont go anymore?.

SIMRAN,I have not had any electrolysis for 8 weeks,
I have had no new hairs come in at all.
I do have 12 very stubborn hairs left to remove which I shall do next week.

When I started this quest last year June,
I decieded to stop work for awhile and do it intensively.

My face was very badly swollen for quite a long time,
this was because I had 2 hour long treatments every other day,
I did have scabs but this was because I had been shaving twice a day for 10 years
and the hairs were all twisted and ingrown(just like a black man’s beard)

I have not shaved or had any other form of hair removal apart from GALVANIC ELECTROLYSIS FOR 14 MONTHS.

I CAN EVEN OPEN THE FRONT DOOR WITHOUT WRAPPING MY FACE WITH A SCARF

I must stress I HAD A FULL BEARD JUST LIKE A MAN,I SUFFER FOR PCOS.

Thats wonderful joyan! I am glad you didn’t need to go the laser route.

However, I doubt most men can get beards or for that matter any large body areas treated with galvanic. It would take a decade! For me, blend and thermolysis have already been too slow and expensive.

I am beginning to think that the best way to go is to take drugs such as Spiro/Propecia/Saw Palmetto etc…and hope for the best. Both electrolysis and laser have too many issues and are a drain on the wallet.

Although you might consider us Expensive, I don’t know too many people who would say that my beard clearance rate, nor that of the Gior’s is too slow.

tembo,
My endocrine clinic had the hair on my face classified as : TYPE: MALE BEARD LEVEL 9 (1 to 10)

When I first started at the clinic I was given spirolactone,this did not work for me,I was then given androco (please forgive the spelling) slight slow down in the re-growth speed,but not in the hair that was already out
Last but not least I was given cyprotorone ,THIS WORKED IN THE WRONG PLACE,I am like a plucked chicken under my arm-pits, I have never had a hair problem on any other part of my body,apart from my face,maybe it may have worked on my face,given time.
This last drug does have a few very marked side effects, 1 I could sleep for England, 2 I gained 4 stones in weight AND IF YOU ENJOY A HAPPY SEX LIFE,this will KILL IT STONE DEAD.

When I first had electrolysis, maybe ten years ago,it was blend and flash, it did not work, all the hair grew back and it left me marked for a very long time.
I gave up on it, THIS WAS A BIG MISTAKE, I really should have tried my hardest to find an electrologist who did GALVANIC. Because I am mixed race, some hairs are straight and some are curly, I THINK GALVANIC is better for this hair type, I could be wrong. It does take a long time but it REALLY IS WORTH ALL THE TIME AND MONEY, I will be honest with you I think it is cheap (I am a very poor single women)

ELECTROLYSIS CAN WORK FOR DARK SKINNED PEOPLE