New Electrolysis School opening in Columbus, Ohio

For anyone interested, a new electrology school is opening in Columbus. Classes are scheduled to begin March 4, 2011. The Cosmetic Therapy Training Program will offer a 765 hour program, with 50 hours of the required laser hair removal program, also being offered. The State Medical Board of Ohio and the State Board of Career Colleges and Schools have both approved the program.

Instructors will be physicians and others who have a degree within the science they teach. Currently licensed CT’s/electrologists may attend regularly scheduled classes, for a fee, to obtain continuing education required for license renewal every two years. Classes will be offered on Friday’s and Saturday’s from 8am to 6:30 pm. Don’t know the fee schedule, but anyone interested in attending this new program can call Vickie Mickey’s office at 614-457-0448.

I personally am very pleased that this program recognizes the need to train students in both modalities for professional hair removal/reduction - electrolysis and laser. I have been to Vickie’s facility and it is very nice, not to mention, very accessible from the interstate.

This is wonderful!

Do you know the hours for electrolysis?

If the program is approved by the State Board of Career Colleges and Schools, then does it mean that students could get student loans to attend? I have a client who is planning on going “somewhere” this spring/summer…

As far as I understand the Ed code, a school has to be “recognized” by the department of education in order to get access to federal student loan programs. Recognition comes from getting accreditation by (1) the relevant regional accreditation body, (2) certain national bodies, and (3) state agencies for vocational programs. Private loan programs can do whatever they want, so there may be options there, too. I imagine (3) applies above, so it may.

http://www2.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html

Thanks Bryce for that information. Barbara, I can’t answer your questions, but will try to later.

Bryce is correct on accreditation and being thus recognized by the dept. of Ed for student loans. And, that is exactly what the AEA was trying to do years ago. I was part of the accreditation process and we developed landmark work for our electrology schools. AEA probably spent $100K developing the program (our advisor had done the accreditation for Harvard!)

After all that work (a period of about 2 years) we only had two schools apply for accreditation. Remember the AEA program is the REAL DEAL — it’s just that nobody seemed to want it!

More information:

STUDENT CATALOGUE

$15,575 spent, and you still need to pay more to sit for the licensing exam. :o

Nice to see the new school! BRAVO!
I’m sure it’s going to be a great success!

“Build it and they will come.” (Or something like that?)

Ohio School

I read through the catalogue and I’m impressed and excited about their view of the future. Indeed, a professional that has real understanding of all modalities (laser too) and will become a “hair removal expert.” DOUBLE BRAVO!

As the line in the movie says: “It’s the future, Mr. Gitts!” Indeed, this is the future. Were I starting my career, this would be my school choice.

Imagine experts with full understanding of laser and electrolysis? Not just “picking it up on the go,” but learning in depth. Not understanding electrolysis or laser only “by what I’ve seen,” but by the science.

I think we should all be supportive of this endeavor that will benefit both professionals and patients. Imagine going to ONE person and being given the best “modality” based on your personal needs. Imagine not having to “shop around” and use your own body as an experiment.

WAY TO GO OHIO!

I am living in Ontario Canada and am investigating training for electrolysis.

It is more than frustrating.

I just spoke with a school and they are giving the course in 40 hrs of theory and clinical…

I can’t find anywhere that is reputable.

Help!

I would so volunteer my hairy body for students to practice on. Or barter my hairy body in place of tuition.

1 Like

When I attended electrology school (California) in 1980, everything was set up like a small clinic where the public pays a discount rate for the service like massage therapy schools. Senior citizens were offered an even lower rate. As students we worked on many senior women that did not want to shave their legs. I am not sure how schools are set up today.

This is an older post but I went through the same thing except Im in BC. I looked for a 500 hr program and only found one in the whole of BC. There was only 3 other schools in BC but it was also low hours. I did it the 500 since it was needed if I was to join the BC association.

The program was very very VERY basic (i read books and worked on a couple classmates in other programs once in awhile) and I didnt come out of it with as much knowledge and practical skills like I thought I would.

Luckily I had some electrologists around me from work and they helped out as well as reading Hairtell.
I also moved away to work for an electrolysis biz for very very very little $ to gain experience.

If 40 hours is all you can find and afford and you really want to do it then go for it and make up for it through other means: practice practice practice.

Find a mentor. Sometimes if you go to another town for a mentor the electrologist won’t be worried about you taking any clients with you. Not everyone feels this way but I came across some people in the biz who were very cautious and had me sign contracts regarding clients or not being allowed to work for competitors.

Oh I took the program in 2008 and the best electrology program in the province shut down 2 years before I was looking to take a course. Ah well