New electrologist learning settings

Hi everyone, I am a new electrologist ( ~1 year) and somewhat new to Hairtell as well. I worked on client during consultation for test session and her thick chin hairs would not come out.

I was using blend on elite spectrum and felt my insertions were good and smooth but for some reason the hairs were very stubborn. A few did come out, I would say 45-60 unit hairs did but 80 unit hairs would not which was very discouraging.

When I removed my own chin hairs my settings worked like magic but hers were tough-maybe distorted. I was scared to overtreat her. I had about 18-24 units and thermolysis was at 22-27 for 6-8 seconds.

Would anyone be willing to share their elite spectrum settings or give advice? Also, does anyone know if insulated needles are good for blend? I heard no during school because lye would eat insulation up but heard elsewhere it’d be fine.

Thank you

1 Like

Sometimes thick deep hairs need as much as 30 RF when using manual blend on the Elite Spectrum. You might be able to go as high as 32, but this would be with a large diameter probe and very deep insertions, and shorter timing than you are using with your client.

1 Like

Thank you so much

Some place on my Youtube channel, Hinkel talks about setting up your blend procedure. (I think it’s called “Lecture to Seniors?”) The key is that you must start your set-up with HF-thermolysis ONLY. Do not start your treatment with both currents … and hope for a good release. Starting with both currents is a mistake nearly all blend electrologists make. I’m guessing that’s what you’re doing?

4 Likes

Thank you for the information, yes I am starting with both :persevere: I will look up that youtube video :pray:

That is the biggest mistake made; and usually taught incorrectly in the schools as well.

Key: you don’t just give a hair more “units” in order to get a good release. A 30-unit hair gets 30-units whether it comes out (with HF) in 6-seconds or in 20-seconds … it still ONLY gets the 30-units. (Indeed, even most manufactures have this wrong. And, sometimes the opposite of how to get your “units.”)

Remember also, that the DC (if unbalanced and too high) can greatly reduce the HF you’re getting in the follicle. It’s called “DC flood-out!”

4 Likes

Thank you so much Michael, I really appreciate your help.

1 Like

Hey Zapster, Skip Mahler is really good about walking people through the best way to use his epilators. You should call him. He will probably reaffirm what Michael so generously advised. They are both great teachers and are always willing to help others.

2 Likes

sorry to post this here,but i am a new member and i don’t know how to post a topic.
I have developped hypertrichosis from the usage of minoxidil, and i wanted to know if laser hair removal was able to destroy the whole hair follicle? Or will the unwanted hair keep coming back despite the laser if i keep taking the medication? thanks a lot for your help

Thank you Deedra!

I’m very often asked, “What settings are you using?” The Canadian folks also asked this question. I gave an answer … but, such specificity is greatly misleading. Actually, more than misleading … it’s silly.

Let’s say you were frying eggs on your gas range. Would you set your dial to “2” or “3” and think you were doing it correctly? Or, would you look at the flame itself, and the eggs you were frying in the pan?

You would, of course, know when your eggs were cooked properly, by looking at the eggs in the pan. This is exactly the same with electrolysis. Your setting on the machine is not consequential! What you’re doing to the follicle (and skin) is consequential and generally should be the only focus of your attention.

This question is further compounded, because machine settings (numbers) vary greatly. I may set my thermolysis at “3” … while another operator with a different machine will set her machine on “25.” Both machines could be producing the same level of thermolysis.

Bottom line: look at the skin … not the machine. As Art Hinkel would say, “Learn to read the skin!”

3 Likes