Never pluck nose hairs!

Plucking nose hairs is potentially dangerous. You can get an infection, and the proximity to the brain makes infections more dangerous. Always trim nose hairs rather than pluck them.

Of course, if you insist, here’s:

The only safe way to pluck nose hairs

:stuck_out_tongue:

What was supposed to be on that page? When I click that link, I get a mostly blank page.

It’s a cute little game where you pluck hairs from a guy’s nose with a pair of tweezers. The hairs then curl up to spell words.

Your browser might not support the Java scripts used to create the game. It’s cute, but not cute enough to spend a lot of energy updating your browser.

WOW, Andrea! And I had NO idea! That’s some good advice. Thank you for everything! You deserve a medal for both sites :smile:

Hi Andrea

That little link was really funny :grin: . Where do you find these things!?

Stuart

Stuart, I know a lot of artsy types who make silly and interesting web pages. They send me all sorts of fun links like that. That one happened to combine two of my interestes, so I had to share! :wink:

Hi Andrea

Thanks, I saved that one and sent it out to some of my good friends. Everyone thought that was a good one!

Please send me some more of those sort if you have time.

Thanks
Stuart

Stuart, the sites below have all kinds of little weird things on them to keep you busy for a while:

eBaum’s World

FARK

Some of the stuff pushes the boundaries of good tatse, but if you’re up for it, you’ll find something to fit your humor style.

The last one usually has one or two things a day that are very entertaining! :wink:

Do nose hairs serve any purpose? So they really help filter out allergens and germs? I have heard both yes and no on these issues. I have allergies and I read somewhere people with nasal allergies should not have mustaches because it attracts allergens and can make things worse. I would think the same would apply to nose hair.

RJC2001

Nose hairs help capture stuff going in and out of the nose, yes. Nowadays their main purpose is to torment guys with lots of them, like my poor brother! :stuck_out_tongue:

I suppose they would help keep bugs out of your nose. They probably don’t do much to keep bacteria and viruses out though.

I did have a bug fly up my nose once. I blew my nose and thought I got rid of it but I didn’t. A few hours later I started sneezing violently and I had a very stuffy nose. I blew my nose again and out came the bug. It was real small, almost like a gnat. Nose hair didn’t help in that case and it made nose blowing less effective.

I hope I didn’t gross anyone out, but I was curious if nose hair really served any purpose. I conclude that maybe it does but it is very limited.

RJC2001

Andrea, this is the first time I’ve posted here though I’m a regular poster on HR on other boards and am impressed!
What’s the opinion here on whether plucking (specifically chin and facial hair) increases hair growth? I’ve read so many conflicting reports, I can only assume it’s different for everyone, althogh my instincts tell me hair growth is cotrolled by hormones and therefore cannot be influnced by removal methods.

I have also read most of the bad press about plucking - as oppose to waxing/threading (people are told not to pluk chin hair but salons offer waxing and threading which are basically both pulling hair out by the roots, albeit in different ways).

It’s too late for me to consider finding an alternative - a seasoned plucker, and I see it as the cheapest, easiest way to remain hair free for longest. I do wonder: DID I get hairier due to plucking (as I did, but think I would have got hairer ANYWAY).

There’s been a lot of discussion about whether plucking reduces hair growth, or whether it increases it.
There are posts about it on this forum somewhere. You could try the search function…

I think the way someone explained it to me sounds the most plausible:

If the hair has a strong blood supply (e.g. facial hairs), then plucking is likely to damage the blood supply such that it causes an increase in the supply to the hair. The hair grows thicker and stronger as a result.

If the hair has a weak blood supply (e.g. eyebrow & leg hairs), then plucking is likely to damage the blood supply such that it causes a decrease in the supply to the hair. The hair grows finer as a result.

I suppose the debate will continue until we find someone prepared to wax/pluck/thread one half of their body and shave the other half for a few years!!

Volunteers, anyone??? :wink:

Now I think about it, I am pretty sure that plucking is not the cause of an increase in hair growth. It’s not so much the thickness I have issues with (or two growing outta one follicle!), it’s there are simply more hairs. This cannot, logically, be anything to do with hair removal methods.

If plucking or waxing increased hair growth, men with male pattern baldness would be plucking and waxing their heads and the problem would be solved.

Hormonal changes and certain drugs affect hair growth but that is more than a simple mechanical force on the hair follicle.

I think that Tend Skin is a good product although it appears it doesn’t work for everyone. I do find their instructions puzzling. They don’t like tweezing but imply that waxing is OK. What’s the difference? Hair is being yanked out by the root in both instances, isn’t it?

I find tweezing to be a positive thing in the treatment of ingrown hairs. Once the hair is lifted out of the skin, yanking it out gives the skin a chance to heal and you don’t have to worry about the hair for about a month. I have never had a problem caused by tweezing ingrown hairs.

RJC2001

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by Andrea:
<strong>Plucking nose hairs is potentially dangerous. You can get an infection, and the proximity to the brain makes infections more dangerous. Always trim nose hairs rather than pluck them.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Okay, I will stop plucking them.

I do think that yanking out a formerly-ingrown hair that you just freed, if you happen to do that, is probably a bad thing… more trauma, etc. When I actually have to do that, I always let it go until the skin heals. (With the help of lots of Neosporin and Bactine.)

I find it peculiar, though, that Emjoi makes an epilator-whatsit for men that appears to be designed for things like nose hairs, if it’s so awful.

I have never had a problem plucking ingrown hairs. At least you won’t have to worry about the plucked ones for about a month. Always sterilize the needle used to dig (lift) the hair with 91% alcohol. If you are worried about complications you can always use Tend Skin.

I would not recommend plucking nose hairs though. In the first place, lifting any ingrowns in the nose would be difficult at best.

RJC2001

Corvaith, I think the Emjoi nose hair device is a clipper, not a plucker.

I don’t have any problems with plucking out ingrowns… for a couple of reasons…

1. It helps to get them out, so the hair cannot hold bacteria that stops the pore healing quickly - I notice that if I have a ingrown on say the face, the blemish will stay for days and days… if I pull the hair, it tends to heal in a day or less… the pore shrinks back and dries out by itself… no inflammation… I see the hair that I pull is surrounded by a white sleeve… obviously the extra oil and this medium I believe holds the bacteria… get rid of it and you have a better chance…

Secondly, it feels good… to get revenge on that hair, by terminating it… and to feel it sliding out… to watch it’s exit from your life… I am sure you can all relate to that one… I am also fascinated with how long some of them can become, coiled up under the skin, even if they don’t become infected…

I also think plucking nose hairs is painful… and the anticipation of that makes my eyes water… ouch… and this is from a guy who waxes almost his entire body… LOL

David

[ February 11, 2003, 03:11 PM: Message edited by: IHH ]