Neoskin Closed Out of Business Scammed Customers

If anyone paid Neoskin with Credit Card I suggest you dispute your charges immediately, even if they are over a year old.

I had good results from my treatments at Neoskin while they were open, prices were best around, it all makes sense now.

-Aje

http://www.peopleenespanol.com/pespanol/articles/0,22490,1856728,00.html

And I found this through google on this site:

"There’s been a recent scandal, covered in all Mexican newspapers (even my local Noroeste de Sinaloa) over the abrupt bankruptcy of Neoskin, a chain of depilation studios. A record number of consumer complaints (mostly for pre-paid services not performed) led to investigation. If I understand my business Spanish correctly, Neoskin (described as “una estructura escalonada”) was a multi-level company, with profits from the pre-sold hair-removal contracts going to the parent company, and losses listed as incurred by the studios around the country, which were listed as a separate company. Guadalupe Garza Martínez, the parent company’s legal representative, is on the lam, after an arrest warrant was issued for “generic fraud.”

What vaguely interested me in the story was that Ms. Garza is also wanted for “despidio injustificado”. Besides cheating all those hairy ladies, Ms. Garza skipped town, having plucked the company (and its clients) for what she could, Ms. Garza skinned the workers… basically, having skipped town with the loot, the employees were unjustly deprived of their livelihood. Specifically, they have been fired without due cause. I thought about writing something about employee rights in Mexico, but there really wasn’t much in the story to interest me.

The Associated Press also picked up the story, and — true to their crappy reportage — didn’t do any more than telephone the Mexico City office for a comment. They did report that the phone was disconnected, which is no suprise…"

NEOSKIN went out of business and left my husband and I with over three thousand dollars in unused treatments!!! We tried working with a lawyer but he was honest and said that we would pay him more in legal fees than we were ever likely to recover. It sucks that they can just close like that and nothing can happen. We found a company called Laser Away in los angeles we heard was treating people from Bankrupt doctors offices or Medi-Spas. They gave us two free treatments each which was cool. Still I lost a lot of cash that I will never get back because of those good-for-nothing scammers!!!

Makes you want to hire a bounty hunter :mad:

Lasers for use on, or under the skin surface for assorted medical and elective purposes have been in use for over ten years. Often used for reasons that are strictly cosmetic, all procedures are classified as “surgical procedures”. The action of dermatologic lasers are achieved by “vaporizing” and/or “altering” the tissue, hair and skin. Webster’s Dictionary defines “surgery” as “a planned procedure that alters permanently the structure and/or function” of the area being worked on.

There now exists a wealth of information on the use of lasers by untrained operators with “before and after” photographs. There are a number of lawsuits that run into millions of dollars to the extent that insurance companies no longer offer malpractice insurance to laser wielders who are not licensed to practice in the state where they practice. The use of lasers on the skin and/or hair causes changes to, in, and below the surface of the skin.

There have been at least two reported deaths related to the use of lasers for hair removal caused by an allergy to a pain relieving substance used prior to undergoing laser treatment. Had the laser operators been adequately trained these deaths could have been avoided. By now there must be hundreds of ex-patients who were permanently scarred over large areas of the body by untrained, or poorly trained laser operators who were illegaly “practicing medicine without a license”. All actions demand the patient’s well being be of primary consideration. In medicine there is a saying “above all do no harm”. The doctors, manufacturers of lasers, laser operators, spa operators, schools that purport to teach laser skills, and others that ignored the regulations for their own personal benefit be penalized based on the number of people damaged financially and physically plus loss of license if they repeat any of these actions.

This site has all the makings for an excellent class action suit against untrained laser operators, laser manufacturers, laser renters, sales people who sell lasers, spa operators who utilize lasers for “cosmesurgical” purposes and doctors who do not follow FDA regulations regarding the use of lasers in the doctors office when the doctor is not present. Doctors do not want to spend the rest of their life removing hair, wrinkles or acne pimples. There is nothing gratifying or rewarding about this. Doctors were trained for years to save lives, remove cancers etc. Doctors who allow their name to be used to assure patients the laser wielder is adequately competent to work without direct supervision are surprised when they find they are liable because the name on the door with the highest credentials is the one who gets sued (the name does not have to be physically on the door. Just allowing the name to be used to convey to the client there is a physician to supervise or direct the laser operator.

In addition, there is always the medical malpractice angle against doctors who were NEVER trained to use a laser for dermatologic procedures (like obgyn docs who employ laser operators with inadequate training, and know little about the use of lasers for skin surgery.

If the docs who want to do this work continue to do so… they will give it up shortly. There are not enough laser operators to do all the work needed in a doctors office and the doc will not do it because he makes more doing what he does best. The entire field should go back to electrologists who should now become the experts at this but they have to be educated to a higher level.

I read this a long time ago but it still is in effect. It was written by a former editor of Fortune magazine
.LAWS ARE MADE BY LAWYERS… FOR LAWYERS…
WITH NO REGARD FOR ANYONE ELSE.

CHECK IT OUT WITH YOUR CLERK OF COURTS. IT MAY BE POSSIBLE TO SUE UNDER CIVIL LAWS AND/OR SMALL CLAIMS COURT. EACH STATE IS DIFFERENT SO I CAN NOT COMMENT ON THIS. IT WILL NOT COST YOU MUCH (IN MASS. IT IS ONLY $45.00). THERE MAY BE CONSUMER LAWS TOO. IN MASS. THE PENALTIES ARE “TREBLE DAMAGES PLUS ATTORNEY’S FEES”. IF YOUR PARTY WAS INCORPORATED THERE MAY BE OTHER LAWS. IF THEY WENT BANKRUPT THAT MAY BE ANOTHER ISSUE.

YOU HAD A “CONTRACT”. YOU PAID THEM TO DELIVER A SERVICE. THAT IS A CONTRACT.IT HAS TO BE BY A LICENSENCED OPERATOR TO DO THIS SURGICAL PROCEDURE. (IT IS SURGERY BECAUSE THE GOAL IT TO DESTROY TISSUE. IF THEY ARE NOT LIFCENSED THEY ARE :“PRACTICING MEDICINE WITHOUT A LICENSE” AND THIS IS ILLEGAL IN ALL 50 STATES. THEY MAY PAY YOU VOLUNTARILY TO AVOID A LAW SUIT THAT COULD FIND THEM GUILTY OF ALOT OF OTHER THINGS. BE CAREFUL. DO NOT THREATEN THEM. THIS COULD ALSO BE CONSIDERED BLACKMAIL. IF THERY ARE OUT OF BUSINESS THEY CAN NOT HURT ANYBODY ELSE BUT THEY HAD NO MALPRACTICE INSURANCE BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT ABLE TO BUY IT. SOME OF THEIR PROBLEM IS A MATTER OF LEGALITY AND TIME IN PRISON. YOUR LAWYER MAY NOT BE FAMILIAR WITH THE WHOLE ISSUE AND REFUSED TO TAKE THE CASE BECAUSE HE FELT HE COULD NOT WIN. THIS DOES NOT MEAN ANOTHER LAWYER WILL NOT TAKE IT. ALL LAWYERS ARE NOT AS GOOD AS PERRY MASON. MOST DID NOT GRADUATE AT OR NEAR THE TOP OF THE CLASS.

LIKE WAS SAID EARLIER… “WITH NO REGARD FOR ANYONE ELSE”.

If they’ve declared bankruptcy, then you’ll need to find out what Chapter they filed under. In some cases, your money is gone for good, in others, they have to pay their debts, or a percentage of their debts.

And FYI Harvey if you come back and read this: Destroying tissue is not the definition of surgery, otherwise every electrologist would be performing surgery.

Laws are changing. The laws were written before laser hair removal existed. Slowly, but surely, the laws will be changed to encompass who can do laser hair removal and other non-ablative (non-invasive is the wrong term) procedures.

You should also stay in touch with laws as insurance companies help write them and do not want to pay out large amounts of money because a person with minimal education on the use of the device device thinks they can do whatever they want. WRONG. You are ALWAYS LIABLE FOR WHAT YOU DO… ALWAYS. EVEN IF YOU HAVE A LICENSE TO DO IT. HAVING A LICENSE AND BEING CAPABLE ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. CHECK IT OUT. I TOLD YOU SO.

INSURANCE companies do not need a law. All they have to do is stop writing insurance for laser operators and you can not do anything about it. The fact that laws already exist has nothing to do with it. IF THEY DO NOT WRITE THIS INSURANCE YOU CAN NOT FORCE THEM AND THEY DO NOT WRITE THIS INSURANCE AT PRESENT . GOOD LUCK. Also if you are doing a procedure that is illegal by federal law, or state law, or county law, or local law (like town) they will not cover it unless you are licensed to do the specific procedure. If it is a big case they can still give you trouble. Fischer has a little disclaimer on all their ads about this. Check it out.

You don’t need a lawyer for this type of amount. You can try to sue them in small claims court on your own. Also, find out the Chapter under which they filed as mentioned.

LaserAway always has good prices. They use Apogee.