Needing advice and help regarding training

Some back story! I’ve been considering going to school for Electrology for some time now. I’m a recovering former plucker of 22yrs plus due to PCOS. I’m 46 now, but was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 24. I had a doctor at that time recommend electrolysis, but it sounded like a very long process, I truly couldn’t afford, and I was terrified to stop plucking and only be allowed to shave. A few years later I tried 8 sessions of laser that was unsuccessful and only made my situation worse unfortunately and left some scarring.

Moving forward, 2yrs ago I underwent chemo for breast cancer and even though my facial hair never fully stopped growing even during chemo and hormone blockers, it was so freeing to go a day or 2 without plucking, it really renewed my interest in trying electroloysis and in the idea of becoming an electrologist. I really wanted to help others feel the way I did and have that same freeing feeling. I soon started reading all I could about electrology! So once my BC treatments ended I stopped plucking and started shaving in preparation of starting electrololysis done and talked to an electrologist regarding career information. Unfortunately, due to my BC treatments my immune system was low, which apparently was an opportunistic time for warts to come on. By trying to do the “right thing”, I unknowingly spread flat warts all over my chin and neck and spent the last year getting rid of them. Once I was done with that treatment my Dermatologist recommended trying laser hair removal again. By this time my facial hairs are about 50% white, knowing that laser wouldn’t work on those, and already knew I wanted to try electrolysis. I’ve only had about 4 treatments done, but looking forward to the day I’m mostly hair free!

At this point I am more determined that ever to start a career in Electrology. I live in Kansas, which is a licensed state requiring 500 hours in school or 1000hrs of apprenticeship. No training is allowed online. There are no schools in our area and no one who will do an apprenticeship due to how the laws are written. I have 3 kids with special needs, my youngest has more significant special needs. It would be very unfair to my husband and children for me to be absent for months so I could go to school. My littlest 2 are adopted, which I only mention due to their trauma of abandonment. Mom going away to school for months is just not an option for our family.

My current electrologist pointed out that I live right on the Kansas/Missouri line and that Missouri is an unlicensed state. I could technically work on the Missouri side instead. I found a school in Minnesota that has a 320hr program and is an Academie Dectro partner school. I spoke with the trainer last night and I could do the theory portion online and 110 practice hours in person over 11 days, which would be doable! She does require you buy a minimum of an Apilus Senior 3g to work and practice on.

I know that 110 practical hours is not enough hours to start a business. How many hours of practice did you do before you felt comfortable to start a business? The trainer did mention she typically only allows students to do bodywork, how many hours of practice do you think before moving to the face?

There isn’t really any electrologists in our area that would be willing for me to get some extra hours or work with. I’d be begging for friends and family to let me practice on. I’m worried about spending all this money for training, but in the end not being able to eventually have a business. My current electrologist works out of a small room in her house, she doesn’t have the room or time I’m sure, but I do think she would allow me to bounce ideas off her and ask questions though.

Probably a stupid question and I’m sure most won’t know the answer to this, but if I practiced on friends/family on the Kansas side, but took no money would that be acceptable? Or would I have to rent something on the MO side to even get practice hours in? I’m finding the KS Cosmetology board very difficult to work with, even when I ask direct questions.

If the state you live in requires a 500 hour course, why would you settle for anything less? Why limit yourself to only working in the unlicensed state?
Dectro offers 500hour courses and a large portion of that is theory portion which you can do at home. I understand they have expanded this to assist people in learning during covid and in response to restrictions.I would honestly loo at doing the theory portion remotely and then making a trip for a couple weeks to finish the practical side. Alternatively, you could look at Swansons Canadian Institute of electolysis which also provides a distance learning portion but you would have to find someone to do the practial side locally ( maybe the electrologist you were talking to?) which could mae travel un-necessary.If you are intersted in theSwansons program I could put you in touch with the lady who runs Swansons, Phyllis Toround.

Thank you for responding! Unfortunately the State of Kansas licensing requirements doesn’t allow for any training to be online. My only option would be to get licensed in a different state and then apply for a reciprocal license in Kansas. I would be interested in speaking with Swansons, but I don’t believe my current electrologist has the space or time for practical training. She has just a small treatment room in her home office.

dont know what to say.