Need your HELP on my sociology research thesis

Hi everybody,

I’m really sorry to bother with this thread but I really need your help. I’m looking for girls and women to answer a very short survey (10 questions, pre-filled, just need 3-4 minutes) about hair removal practices in America.

To introduce myself, I’m a French college grad student studying Sociology in Paris and I’m currently writing a research paper that I must return in September. The subject is kind of original and awkward but also very interesting from a sociological point of view: What social causes explain/influences the generalization of woman intimate (pubic) hair removal?

This practice has been strongly expanding in the last two decades and I’m trying to understand why. Is it due to the influence of Medias, of the fashion industry, of the women magazines? Also, is this practice as mainstream as people think it is through the Medias?

I collected a very large data (over 300 survey answers) on French girls and young women from 17 years old to 45. I now would like to also collect data on American girls and women (I need 60-80 answers) in order to see if practices concerning shaving differ or not from France. It is known (cliché?) in Europe that American women are paying more attention to intimate hair removal than French. The question for me is to know if this is a cliché or a reality and why?

The survey is totally anonymous and nothing concerning your identity will be asked at any time. It’s very quick and very easy. It will only take you 3 or 4 minutes but will be very very helpful for me. Since I need to turn in my research thesis (about 100 pages) in September, I need to collect data pretty fast and answering my survey would be extremely nice from you.

The link for the survey is here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/T2Q3DF2

Thank you so much for your help and excuse me for bothering you this way.

Charlotte Raspail

PS: Sorry for my approximate English :slight_smile:

This is an interesting study. Your English is good btw.

I would just make a suggestion for your second question. Some of those are not really relevant and some are offensive (a word like “bimbo” for example, which no one would call themselves…it pretty much assumes “stupid” and “vapid” and has little to do with fashion)

Here are my suggestions for changes to these choices:

Which of these categories would you most refer to:
Classy/Preppy - Preppy
Country - Country Western
Laid-back - Laid Back/Indifferent
Sportswear - Sporty
Bimbo/Fashion - Fashionista
Hippie
ADD - Hipster
None of these

I did your survey but there are quite a few flaws. Some of your classifications are lacking (I can choose that I shave all my hair off, or that I wax some of it off, but I can’t choose that I wax all of it off).

Plus there’s a bit of a self-selection bias among your demographic now. You should be asking people at random to get a true idea of the American norm, and targeting a hair removal website is not random. Plus by advertising the topic of the survey in advance, you are causing people with strong opinions on the issue to be very likely to participate, while neutral people are not as likely to participate. This is a common thing they try to avoid to prevent results from being slightly skewed. You’d get more accurate results asking people at a more neutral website without warning them what the topic of the survey is in advance (just that it’s personal and anonymous).

This website isn’t uniquely American either so you may get international answers.

We do have a lot of Canadians and Europeans on this site as well as a few Aussies.

Most of the questions in the survey are leading too. They are based on what people think of themselves instead of what they actually might be.

Does applisonix selectif pro work? has anyone used it - what were your results?

dee.oz,

This question has been scrutinized before and doesn’t belong in this thread. Do a search please on the applisonox to find the thread where this has been discussed here on hairtell. James, perhaps you could delete or put this post in another thread so as not to break up the original posters purpose of taking a sociology survey.