Need advice! Male electrolysis upper arm hair pattern + pictures

Hi there,

This is my first post ever on this forum so thanks for your time!

I have been on my electrolysis journey for about 7 months now. I have put in roughly about 24 hours or so of work on both my upper arms which had very heavy dense dark hair. I am finally seeing dramatic results and I love it!

What is starting to make me nervous now is the natural transition from my lower arm (which I want to stay hairy) and into my upper arm. I was nervous about this from the beginning and wanted to worry about it later but my Electrologist recommended we immediately start with arms because the first goal is to look good in a tank top which makes sense.

You can see from the pictures what’s untreated, and where the transition is. The pink area is treated and I let the remaining hairs grow back to see how it would look blended. It sort of looks ridiculous to me. Sad little stringy hairs and no gradual blend appearance. I’m stuck on what to do now- Zap those remaining hairs off on the pink area? Go lower? I used to shave from the elbow up so I’m not used to knowing how to scape my upper arm hairs.

I love my electrologist she is doing great work but we seem to be bumping heads on this topic. When I express my hair transition concerns her response several times was a “Nothing is perfect.” type of response. This is unacceptable to me. Plastic surgery and electrolysis is a business of perfection! I just don’t want it to look like my body was altered in anyway and poor transition work may show just that.

What do you think should be my next steps with my upper arm transition area?

HELP! Thank you!

Ask your electrologist if she will just thin the hair growth at the border and not treat every hair follicle.

Yes, the simple solution is to just thin the hair as it goes further down the arm. Having said that, the transition doesn’t seem too dramatic at all. You know where your hair used to be, so it seems to be a strong contrast to you. Since it matters to you, your electrologist should respect your wishes.

I agree, but your electrologist cannot read your mind. It is important to convey your wishes in simple terms to avoid miscommunication.

I don’t think my ultimate concern was conveyed. I was asking the community how the final product should look on my arm so I can convey that to the electrologist, not how to communicate with my electrologist. I have no close up resources to go on in regards to when hair fades out on a typical upper arm.

I used one of your pictures and drew 2 lines on it. I usually fade the hair pattern along those lines on male arms. It’s still personalised preference whether we follow the upper or lower line. If you manage to find any natural pictures of male arms and observe the hair growth pattern you’ll see it tends to follow these lines. I hope attaching the image has worked.

1 Like

Geri drew up a very good transition line. It should be at and angle and never like a ring that will look unnatural.

Thankyou for posting I find it helpful because I also wish to have my arms done.

I would suggest you have her thin it out like they said above.

Question for those of your above, that just occurred to me, when we use the term “thin out” does that usually mean planing on treating all the visible hairs and assuming some will return back thinner, or selectively treating particular hairs? Because the hairs I’m assuming would stand out if any of them are kept at their current thickness but maybe I’m wrong

I would bring it up to electrologist and have her explain to you what she recommends doing and have her show u a general example of how she plans to achieve it by pointing to hairs and telling you which one she would remove and which ones she would want just thinned out, or not yet removed , etc. and if she cannot do this then maybe she doesn’t have the artistic ability to provide natural looking results and try another electrologist.

Out of curiosity which modality is she using

ElectrolysisFanatic, I usually reduce the density of the present hair and feather it in, which means I remove more hairs on the border with the cleared area and less hairs as I go into the hairy area. At some point inevitably I look at the area and remove selectively anything that stands out until natural look is achieved. It is not an exact science like removing every 2 out of 3 hairs as the texture of the hairs need to be taken into consideration. Removing 2 thick hairs has way more impact than removing 3 fine hairs.