My Treatment Experience @ Advanced Laser Clinics

I am going for the first Aurora treatment on my legs tomorrow (4-22). I want to get rid of some of the excess leg hair before boating season comes along with the hotter weather.

RJC2001

Biker, do you have any progress pics or before and recent?

Saab93- I did go in for treatment #6 and it was totally free.

I would say I am happy with the results there are patches that need to be worked on but volume is definetly reduced and I would say I am at 75-80%

RJC- How did it go and did you do the whole thing or uppers

WyseOne- Sorry I do not have photos to help with that

As far as treatment six go went pretty normal and I did it without any aestetic and man does it make a difference but it was bearable. I will keep you updated though in about a week

Biker, I had my upper legs done and t went very well with no scabbing. I don’t use any numbing cream. The pain wasn’t too bad. It looks like the uppers are going to respond well to the Aurora.

The lower legs are a different story. Since they are darker than the uppers, I had a few test spots done. You could hear it snap and there was instant pain and that sunburn feeling. At first it didn’t look bad at all but I did have the sunburn feeling for a few hours. A few days later the test spot got real dark and had formed a slight scab. If that happened on the rest of my lower legs it would be very noticeable. My practitioner said she could try lower fluences. but that would compromise effectiveness. It was her opinion that the Aurora would not be suitable in this area.

It’s interesting that right after she did the test spot she did not like the results. It looked OK to me, yet somehow she could tell that the results were not going to be satisfactory. It goes to show you there is no substitute for experience! It really paid off there.

So the plan is to try the Sciton next, since it is sometimes more suitable for darker skin than the Aurora. So I have to agree with hairfetish that there is a point where the Nd:YAG is the best option when the skin gets dark enough. I was very impressed with the results I got with the Sciton on my beard. Post treatment redness is virtually zero and it is effective too.

I also believe that the hairs that the Lightsheer missed were because the follicles were too deep. The Sciton’s 1064 nm wavelenth does penetrate deeper into the skin than the diode lasers so it should get a lot of the hairs that the Lightsheer missed. With the Aurora I am not sure how deep it penetrates because it also has RF, but it too got hairs that the Lightsheer missed. But the IPL will burn if the skin is way too dark as was the case with my lower legs.

The moral of the story, when in doubt get a test spot.

I will continue with the Aurora on my arms because it worked very well there.

I am considering electrolysis on my lower legs but I would wait until winter. I don’t want to be going around all summer with red bumps all over my legs! I’m wearing shorts all the time now and that is not an option.

Fortunately, my legs aren’t as hairy as my chest and back were. Shaving works well enough and if I let the hair grow out it’s not too bad. But I like the muscular definition I get from being hairless and it is more comfortable.

The moral of the story, when in doubt get a test spot.

RJC2001

Sorry to hear that you legs were too dark for the Aurora,RJC2001, and your right about there being no substitute for an involved and experienced practitioner. Are you choosing to use something other than the Aurora on your face because of skin color, or is there another reason?

Biker, What is your skin tone? Can you compare it to a celebrity so I can get a good idea. I am brown like philipino/indian/mexican skin tone, so I’m worried about having my skin discolored.

Thanx!

The main reasons for using the Aurora are skin color and the fact that my beard is extremely dense. We did a test spot with the Aurora and it worked OK. We did a test spot with the Lightsheer and it smelled like my beard was on fire! The hairs popped out of the follicles just like with the Apogee. Due to the redness we went with the Sciton. The redness did subside after a day but it was quite red! I have to say that the Lightsheer test spot is about 95% hair free though. It was rather painful, but I could tolerate it if there were no other alternatives.

My practitioner has done quite a few beards and based on her experience she thought the Sciton would be the best and I agreed. Since the beard is a dense area prone to swelling we started out at alow fluence. My next treatment at the end of May will be at a higher fluence. I got about a 50% hair reduction with the Sciton and I am very happy with that!

The Aurora worked very well on my upper legs. It’s just the lower legs that were too dark. The test spot on my lower leg didn’t get red right away. I had that sunburn feeling for a few hours and it was a little bit red the next two days. But on the third day there was a brown spot there. It was small in size so I am not worried about it, just a very superficial spot. However I would not want those all over my legs!

RJC2001

Ooops! In the first sentence, I meant to say…“The reason for choosing the Sciton were skin color…” Sorry.

I tried the Sciton on my back to see how it compares to the Aurora. The Sciton uses a scanner so it is faster. The fluence had to be turned way up before I could feel it, but I could feel it, especially on the very few coarser hairs that were left. I got ¾ of my back done and the Sciton died! We finished the treatment with the Lightsheer since it was in the same room. The remaining hairs are mostly fine so the Lightsheer didn’t cause a lot of redness.

It was total war on body hair this week! A combined Sciton/Lightsheer treatment. And two electrolyis (thermolysis) on the chest, abs, and sides, which is going very well. The war is on and I’m winning! I had an Aurora treatment on my upper legs last week BTW.

RJC2001

Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to post and say Hi and give everyone a follow up of how things are going!!

As previously stated I have done the series of 5 treatments at Advanced Laser Clinics in La Jolla. I have a 2 year free treatment policy in which I am now on. I did my full legs and I have had to do 9 treatments and I must say I hardly have to shave anymore. I have a few hair here and there that still show up which will be treated as we target it in cycles and increases the fluence (power). I used the lightsheer laser and the treatments have been very effective. I have blonds hairs in some sections and some dark ones. I dont shave between the 12 weeks that I am scheculed and that is what I see so I have not had a super long break where I can see if regrowth is happening (meaning like a 6-12 month break)

Some other areas I have done is the bikini side section in which I have had 4 treatments and the area is clear to my satisfaction where I dont have hair on the sides or popping out. I did no warr on this area.

If anyone has any question or comments please let me know and I will try to answer them!!

I guess I should have read this post before I replied to the other one LOL!

I’m glad to hear that you have had good success with the Lightsheer.

My practitioner switched doctors so now I get to choose between the Lyra-i Nd:YAG and electrolysis (any of the three methods). I have had one Lyra-i treatment on my entire legs, including the lower part. No redness or scabs at all. I was able to wear shorts the next day and you can’t even tell I was zapped with a powerful laser. The pain to redness ratio was amazing. You can really feel the Lyra 1064nm pulses deep inside the hair follicles and there is no redness or blistering.

It is too soon to speculate on regrowth. But now I can shave with an electric and it feels like I used a M3 blade. I can’t see any hair after 1-2 days.

Since you got treatments at 12 week intervals, that must be the growth cycle for leg hair which is longer than for other body parts.

RJC2001

Just wanted to post an update on how things are going its the end of summer and I have been treated 11 times with the lightsheer laser. So I am guessing I will have 13 done when the 2 years expire. For my Full legs i don’t have to shave anymore as stated above and I still have a few hairs here and there that we are trying to get. I have been in a constant 12-14 week treatment cycle during that period so I can’t tell you how it is after that time but will keep you posted when the guarantee expires. I have also moved on to another area which is the abs which I am on 3 treatment so far so no news there yet. As you know Advance Laser Clinics got bought out so I am now on American Laser Centers in which the clinic I have been going to still uses Lightseer but may get the Aurora or possibly keep both.

I scheduled a consultation with an
Advanced Laser Clinics in King of Prussia, PA
and they told me they use some Aurora 3000
laser. I can’t seem to find information on
this laser. Has anyone ever heard of it?

But, it’s good to hear of your positive
experience with them.

Sincerely,
Sean

you can search this site for “aurora” and will find lots of information. It’s an IPL (not a true laser in that sense) and it also uses RF technology

Oh, thanks for that bit of information, lagirl.
not sure if I want to go with an IPL. I’ve read
they they don’t perform well with long-term
hair reduction.

Sincerely,
Sean

Just wanted to post an update on how things are going its the end of summer and I have been treated 11 times with the lightsheer laser. So I am guessing I will have 13 done when the 2 years expire. For my Full legs i don’t have to shave anymore as stated above and I still have a few hairs here and there that we are trying to get. I have been in a constant 12-14 week treatment cycle during that period so I can’t tell you how it is after that time but will keep you posted when the guarantee expires. I have also moved on to another area which is the abs which I am on 3 treatment so far so no news there yet. As you know Advance Laser Clinics got bought out so I am now on American Laser Centers in which the clinic I have been going to still uses Lightseer but may get the Aurora or possibly keep both.

Thanks for the update! If at all possible you should stay with the Lightsheer since it worked so well for you. Sounds like you are almost done. You may be getting to the point where you can finish with electrolysis.

RJC2001