My Story

I am a 28 yr old woman and every since puberty I’ve had a lot of facial hair growth (chin, upper lip, neck) that required me to shave once a day and sometimes twice a day.

I am type IV skin type and my facial hair is dark, thick, and course. Doing lots of research about laser hair removal, it sounded like I was the perfect candidate for this procedure.

So I made an appt for a free consultation with a reputable place near by (not sure if I am allowed to say their company name on this forum…but if it isn’t against forum rules I will say their name if you are interested).

Going in for my consultation the sales woman told me she thinks I would be a great candidate for laser hair removal. They use Cutera CoolGlide Laser and she gave me some literature about the device.

Also, to my amazement she was able to give me some big discounts so I could afford all five treatments. The total came to $985 and that INCLUDED the taxes. So I immediately set up all five appointments.

My first appointment was yesterday. I did all my research by reading about what to expect pre-treatment, during treatment, and post-treatment (thanks to this forum and other online resources!).

The facility I went to ALWAYS uses topical numbing medicine in every case so I was lucky I didn’t have to request it as I read some patients in other places do.

In my state it is law that the ONLY people that can perform the treatments have to be MDs. So I felt a little better, but I did still have some reservations.

The doctor immediately put me at ease regarding the pain of the treatment by explaining that he has never had anyone tell him to stop the procedure due to the pain. He told me he’s treated every part of the body you can imagine INCLUDING men getting hair removal from their private areas (not bikini line) and women too. He said everyone has been able to withstand the slight uncomfortable feeling.

He also explained that the very first treatment is always the most uncomfortable since there is more hair to treat. If I can withstand this first treatment, then ever treatment after this will be easier and easier.

I am happy to report, the pain was totally bearable! There were some areas on my chin and neck that had a high consentration of hair which made me clinch my jaw but it wasn’t the type of pain to cause me to cry, yell out, or anything. And the pain goes away quickly too with the soothing gel he uses.

To the doctor’s excitement and to my surprise, my hair was responding very well at the LOWEST possible setting!!! We could both smell the hair burning off and what’s more, after the treatment, as I was wiping the gel off my face with a cool cloth, some of my hair was already starting to shed! The doctor had to point that out since I didn’t know what was going on. LOL

My face was a bit red and there was a few bumps that the doctor warned me about before the treatment. But the redness and bumps went away within a couple of hours.

The doctor also warned me that I may experience some swelling and slight achiness in some spots and that some Tylenol or Ibuprofen would be fine to take.

My chin is experiencing the most ache but it isn’t enough for me to take anything for it.

Today, 24 hours after my first treatment, there would be no way for anyone to tell I had anything done the day before. No swelling, no redness, no bumps. And actually, when I shaved this morning, I seem to have the closest shave I’ve ever had. No idea if that is because of the treatment yesterday burning off the ends of the stubble making shaving today closer, or if I am just imagining it. Either way, I am feeling good, looking good and anxious for the shedding to continue the next week or two.

I can and will keep everyone updated on my progress as it happens.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for the update. Sounds like it’s going well. One thing I would recommend is for you to see an endocrinologist and run some tests for possible hormonal issues or medical conditions. If you truly have that much hair on those areas, there is a high possibility of that and it would need to be controlled with medication in order for you to see good results from any hair removal method. I would go run these tests to confirm.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like it’s going well. One thing I would recommend is for you to see an endocrinologist and run some tests for possible hormonal issues or medical conditions. If you truly have that much hair on those areas, there is a high possibility of that and it would need to be controlled with medication in order for you to see good results from any hair removal method. I would go run these tests to confirm.

Oh yes I agree! My husband just got into a brand new job so we are uninsured for now, but the minute it kicks in (soon) I plan to do that. It would be a waste of time and money for me if I do have something underlying causing this hair growth because I know laser will be a temp fix until I get the hormones under control.

I am kind of going about things backwards. I had planned to see a doc before this first appt but husband changed jobs so I was unable to get that testing done before this first appt. UGH. LOL

Blessed2beme, I am having the same areas treated as you, chin, upper lip and under the chin. I would concur about getting your hormones checked, etc. In my case, all my levels are normal including blood sugar. Mine is an inherited condition and is just plain old idiopathic. I have had five treatments so far(I bought a pkg of six). The reduction was not a straightline progression. It seemed like I had better results after the first and second than the third and fourth!(I would surmise that one could chalk it up to growth cycles, some more aggressive than others).

But I am pleased to report that six weeks post my fifth treatment, I am still 90% hair free on chin, 80% on upper lip. Frankly this has exceeded my expectations. As an aside, my skin looks great-no burns, no pigmentation issues and I have not experienced any “laser stimulated hair growth”–such as near the areas I am treating. I have plenty of longish fine hair on my cheeks, but I don’t have them touch the area with the laser—no sense in buying trouble and it is in the league of “acceptable hair”.

Anyway, it’s too soon to declare myself a success story, but this has been the best 8 months of my life in terms of hair issues. Good luck to you!

mini bio:
female
skin type II
laser/Lightsheer Diode XC

Blessed2beme, I am having the same areas treated as you, chin, upper lip and under the chin. I would concur about getting your hormones checked, etc. In my case, all my levels are normal including blood sugar. Mine is an inherited condition and is just plain old idiopathic. I have had five treatments so far(I bought a pkg of six). The reduction was not a straightline progression. It seemed like I had better results after the first and second than the third and fourth!(I would surmise that one could chalk it up to growth cycles, some more aggressive than others).

But I am pleased to report that six weeks post my fifth treatment, I am still 90% hair free on chin, 80% on upper lip. Frankly this has exceeded my expectations. As an aside, my skin looks great-no burns, no pigmentation issues and I have not experienced any “laser stimulated hair growth”–such as near the areas I am treating. I have plenty of longish fine hair on my cheeks, but I don’t have them touch the area with the laser—no sense in buying trouble and it is in the league of “acceptable hair”.

Anyway, it’s too soon to declare myself a success story, but this has been the best 8 months of my life in terms of hair issues. Good luck to you!

mini bio:
female
skin type II
laser/Lightsheer Diode XC

Thanks so much for the inspiring and encouraging words!! And congrats on your hair reduction. That is just awesome.