My story! (kind of long)

I can’t believe I found this forum. I swear, I felt like the ONLY hairy girl in the universe.

I started noticing hair for the first time my freshman year of high school. I went to pull my hair back and my friend was like, “You have dark hair on your neck.” I immediately became embarassed and put my hair down. Ever since then, it just got darker and thicker and longer. I started going to get laser treatments when I was 16 and stopped this summer (I’m 21) because my doctor moved to Ohio. I felt uncomfortable getting a new person so I haven’t been back. But, I have discovered the wonderful joys of bleaching! This has been a God-send! I bleach my arms about once a week. I bleach my back, shoulders, chest whenever I feel like it. I also occasionally wax my face and started waxing the back of my legs.

But man, life hasn’t been easy. I’ve cried so many times over this. While most girls would just hop in the shower and wash their face, I had to shave it. Everyday! To add to it, I’m overweight too. I swear I felt like God gave me the worst of physical attributes. Just typing this makes me want to cry because it’s so hard! You would not believe how many nights I’ve spent just crying my eyes out and depressed over it.

Going to the beach was a day long ordeal. I had to shave EVERY INCH OF MY BODY so I didn’t have hair showing when I put on my swimsuit. I hate shaving, especially the backs of my legs and behind (yes, it’s that bad) because it grows back and it actually hurts!

I’m not sure if it’s hereditary or if I have something. I mean, my dad is really hairy and my mom has hardly any. But the women on my dad’s side are like him too, but no where near as bad as me. I’ve been tested for PCOS and everything was negative, but I don’t know.

Everything is so embarassing. I dread being intimate with a guy for fear that he’ll feel the hair and be totally grossed out, which I think is the case of the last guy I was ‘seeing.’ I despise wearing tank tops or any cute revealing clothing for that matter.

I’m a very open minded person, except when it comes to hair. I get so tense and nervous if someone talks about it and I can talk about anything else. I went to a friend’s birthday dinner and she was like, “Your arm hair is really shiny!” and I froze. I was like, “Uhh, I bleach it.” and the guys at the table started asking me about it. I could not have been more embarassed.

Ironically enough, I LOVE guys with hair. Haha, epecially facial hair and leg hair. I think it’s so sexy.

But anyways, enough of my babbling. I’m so, so, so glad to have found this place and I know that I’m not alone!

1 Like

Indeed, you are not alone. Globally speaking, the hair removal market is estimated at 10 billion dollars. In the U.S.A., more like 5 billion dollars.

Are you saying you had laser hair reduction from age 16 to 21 until your doctor moved? That’s six years worth. What percentage of reduction did you get?

Most people are excessively hairy because they inherit this charactaristic. Just because you are hairy doesn’t mean you have disease process, but rather, your hair follicles are more vulnerable to the effects of male hormones circulating through your blood. Still, it is good you were evaluated.

So what is your laser history? No detail is too small.

Thanks and welcome to the hairtell family.

Dee

Well when I went in we would do specific spots: face, upper back, lower back, chest, and stomach. I had my face done the most…I think over 12 times for sure. The other parts probably about 4 or 5 times. My file was huge! Haha. It wasn’t until my doctor was getting ready to move that I started noticing my facial hair becoming finer. My lower back had a huge reduction percentage, I swear like half of it was gone for good. My chest became finer too and my stomach. My back? Not so much.

I can’t even imagine how much money we’ve spent on these treatments. They even had an anonymous donor give $2,000 to my doctor’s office to give it to someone who could benefit from it. I was the one who got the donation.

I don’t know if I want to go back. I might. I’ve been going for so long, I could probably do it myself.

Girl, I can relate to you SOOO MUCH! I have been hairy for a long time. I actually started growing body hair before you did, at about 10 years, and it was super embarrasing for me. I just felt so insecure about it. And, it was dark, so it showed all over my body.

I havent done any hair removal and amnt the most well-groomed, but Ive been like this for years and still havent done much about it.

I think it has stuff to do with ethnicity, because I am Indian and most of the Indians I know, have body hair.

Going to the beach or pool is super embarrasing, becasue everyone sees that hair on my body and it is awkward.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I recently joined this forum as well, AND IM SUPER THANKFUL FOR IT!