My PCOS tale (happy ending)

Hi there,
I came across this website recently and remember visiting it at a very desperate time in my life about 15 years ago. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my teens and by about the age of 19 had a fair amount of chin and neck hirsutism. I decided to have laser hair removal and this caused “paradoxical hypertrichosis” - basically made the hair a huge amount worse, a known possible side effect of laser hair removal that is, thankfully, rare.

I agonised for a long time over what to do. Being around people made me intensely anxious and I was thinking the whole time during every interaction, are they looking at my hairy neck/chin? I felt extremely unattractive and thought it would prevent me from ever getting married/having children.

I went on to have electrolysis regularly (weekly for about an hour) for a period of several months. Luckily I found someone who was skilled and she cleared the area and maintained it until it was almost completely clear over about 18 months.

Ever since then, the hair has not posed a massive problem for me. I have infrequent (2-3 times a year or less) half hour sessions of electrolysis to mop up some hairs that are still hanging around but hair issues have completely faded into the background of my life and I genuinely barely think of them. I did get married in the end and I have two wonderful children (thankfully, I had no fertility issues).

I just wanted to come back here and post this for those feeling terribly desperate and wondering “does electrolysis work?”, “will it ever be over?” and “will this always be the main concern of my life?” - the answers are yes, yes and no. Electrolysis is so so fantastic, it takes ages but it is completely worth it. I am so happy I did this and I am extremely grateful to the people who set up this website (it looked a bit different all those years ago) for helping me through such a difficult time and giving me so much factual information so that I could find a good practitioner.

Sidenote: I am still partial to polonecks even though there is nothing left to hide :slightly_smiling_face:

Good luck on your journey.

1 Like

What does “ages” mean? Two years? Five years?

Do you have before and after pictures you would be willing to share?

So thoughtful of you to come back and tell this community the end of the story. We don’t see that often. Yes, electrolysis does work as long as you have a skilled electrologist and a compliant client.

Now your job is to pray every night that Mother Nature won’t stimulate any tiny blond hairs that are left behind. If that happens on your woman timeline, you have to get them zapped. They are not the same hairs that were treated in the past.

Very happy for you.