My long term experiences with hair removal.

Ok here goes. I will try and fill you readers in on my experiences with removal of hair from most areas on my body using both laser and electrolysis.

First some back ground information;

I am currently 32 years old, male, light skin (Fitz 1 - 2) with mostly dark hair, thou some of them are red brown tinted too.
I started my hair removal odyssey at the beginning of 2002 at the age of 30.

Near my 30th birthday I started to notice that my once controllable (truly brushable) and decent looking body hair had decided to reach the point were I was looking like a bear. Hair had reached all the way up my back and was starting to cover my shoulders and lower neck, merging with my beard. It also made its presence known when dressed in business casual clothing by sticking through the weave of the shirts and standing proud for all to see. With the revelation that I did not want to continue looking like this I started to explore my options for improving this problem.

I started with trying to control the mass of hair with shaving. After spending 2 hours in the tub I had managed to shave myself from the neck down, to my satisfaction, that was until 12 hours later when I went to bed. My hair grows fast and the stubble on my body from the mornings shave made it all but impossible to sleep with any part of my body touching another part. My legs were whisker burning each other and my underarms felt like a steel wool pad was attached to them. The bed sheet snagged on the stubble of my chest and all in all I was very unhappy. Not to be deterred I shaved again in the morning (down to 20 min thanks to no long razor plugging tufts) and found by mid day I was crawling the walls and feeling like I was wearing a cactus instead of my skin. Obviously shaving was not for me.

I decided to try chemical hair removal. Knowing I have sensitive skin I grabbed the brands marketed to be effective but less harsh. Well I slathered the stuff on and waited the prescribed time. Nothing was happening, well the tiny fine blonde hairs were melting away but the majority of my hairs were laughing at the chemicals and telling me to try again. After showering the stuff off in defeat not only was I still covered in the hair but now I smelled like a chemical factory, not a good sign. Not one to give up easily I bought the next day a stronger, harsher brand and proceeded to try this again. I applied the new stuff just to my legs to see how my skin would take it. Well after the prescribed time again the hairs were laughing at me but now my skin was turning red and itching, so time to rinse it off. The end result was that all of the main hairs were still attached but now had a twisted deformed look to them, a sign that the chemicals were trying to dissolve them but obvious to me that my skin would dissolve before the hairs. So to conclude chemicals were not for me.

I thought about waxing but calculated the costs for full body and it was readily apparent that this was not going to work from a financial point of view, not to mention that during the re-growth time I would have a noticeable body wide 5 O’clock shadow, not attractive I assure you. So waxing was out.

I consulted the net looking for information and came across this little device called a rotary epilator. It offered me hope, but being the skeptic I am I decided to see if I could handle the discomfort of plucking large areas of my body. Enter in the handy mans favorite tool, Duct Tape. I figured that all though not perfect duck tape aught to grab the hairs well enough to give me some insight into the discomfort a rotary epilator could make. I waited in anticipation for my body hair to grow long enough for the Duct Tape to grab it. 2 weeks later the hairs were ½ to ¾ of an inch long and ready to submit to my experiment. I picked the shin as the area to try on first as there seemed to be less sensitivity there. With all of the deft skill seen on those home waxing infomercials I laid a 10 inch strip down my leg and quickly pulled it back against the direction of hair growth. Needless to say I was in a bit of a shock and rolling on the floor cursing my stupidity of trying to remove so many hairs at once. The pain was strong and my leg looked like a swarm of angry bees had decided to turn me into a pin cushion. All of this quickly cured me of any visions I had of fast removal using wax strips. Not to be deterred I tried it using a smaller strip 1 inch wide and 3 inches long. This was more tolerable but also slowed down the process. Those rotary epilators were looking like my only choice for fast plucking, so I ordered one.
The day the epilator arrived I was more then determined to remove my body hair no matter the pain. I took the innocent looking pink machine out of its packaging, read the instructions and plugged it in. I applied the epilator to the previously Duct Tape thinned areas and proceeded to do the little swirly motions they recommended. It worked, it hurt but it was working. Elated I continued this process for 2 hours and managed to clear most of the hair from my legs. I was sore, my skin was red and irritated and the epilator was worn out, but I was feeling like I had accomplished a major goal. With my order in for another epilator to replace the one I killed that day, I went to bed feeling happy. In the morning I looked down at my legs in amazement at how smooth they looked, and to touch them was divine.
The new epilator arrived three days later thanks to express post and I proceeded to remove the hair from the rest of my body over the next 3 days. I had learned how to make the epilator last longer after disassembling the broken one.
Epilator Rules;

1. go for no more then 15 min at a time and then allow the machine to cool for an equal length of time, The cheap plastic support that hold the bearings deform if they get to hot causing the rotary mechanism to torque out of alignment and self destruct.

2. Take the guard off and clean the machine of all plucked hairs regularly this included for me pulling the case apart, cleaning out inside along the motor and gear train. I found that plucked hairs got stuck inside the gear train and caused friction on the gears and wore them out fast.

3. Have a spare epilator around for when one breaks. These things were made for women to do smaller areas like legs and underarms, not the coarse dense hair I had combined with a full body. I managed to make mine last for 2 months at a time before they died.

Things I will say are that rotary epilation works well as a temporary way to remove hair. I took me only 20 min a day every day to maintain a mostly smooth look and feel over most of my body, and the pain lessened once I was working on the new growth hairs that were not as firmly attached as the old guard. So in summary rotary epilation was giving me a taste of what hair free skin could feel like and I was hooked. Who knew that different materials felt different against the skin, take it from me I finally got an appreciation for smooth, soft materials in my every day clothes.
Even though this was working I still wanted to achieve hair free skin without having to add 20 min a day of preening so my search continued.

So I searched the web again and saw that I had two main choices for permanently achieving hair removal, Laser and Electrolysis. As I am an Engineer I could see the most of the home kits were scams out to cheat me out of money and time so I investigated my options in the phone book. I booked appointments at an electrolysist and at a laser hair clinic. The electrolysis was a nice lady who after talking to me for a few minutes did some testing on various areas of my body, chest, back, arms, legs (thermolysis). It was uncomfortable but tolerable but also very evident that this was going to take a huge number of hours to clear my body once. Satisfied that I could handle the pain of electrolysis I went to my appointment with the laser clinic.
The laser clinic was run by a certified family physician and staffed by registered nurses. This in some ways comforted me as all of the employees were older, intelligent and had an attitude of competency. Almost all of the RN’s were currently working in Emergency and ICU positions at the local hospital and they did the laser hair removal as a chance to deal with healthy patients and break up the stresses of their profession. Of note this laser clinic also had an electrolysist on staff and I was introduced to her as well.
The physician who owned the clinic talked to me and filled in my medical history. She asked me what my goals were and filled me in on what I could expect, it should be noted she did not make any wild claims and if anything was very straight forward that laser was not for everyone. After the talk she offered to do a few test patches on me, I accepted and off we went to the laser room, a room I would later come to be in many times. She showed me the machine (LightSheer Diode)and talked me though what to expect. With guarded optimism I lifted my shirt and we got started. With a setting of around 26J - 28J the pain was bearable and she proceeded to do a few strips with decreasing pulse width. While we let the test area on the chest settle down she worked a few strips on my legs. It was uncomfortable but not bad again and I was starting to feel confident that I could handle working laser over large areas. After waiting for 20 minutes to judge the skins reaction she turned up the power in increasing amounts to test what my skin could handle and at what level the hairs seemed to be treated effectively. The pain increased with the power jumps but still it was acceptable to a determined person such as myself. All looked well and she scheduled a time to see me the next day to judge my skins reaction. The next day I met with the doctor and she seemed pleased that I only had tiny little red marks on the higher powered areas. Satisfied myself with the results I asked for a quote on doing my whole body from neck to toes. She seemed a bit surprised at my desire to treat so much area at once but within 2 hours she had a quote waiting for me to read. She had broken the quote into upper half and lower half of the body. Attached to the quote were rules for laser safety and the rules of the shop. Of interest to me was that they limit treatment to a max of 3 hours per day. I stated me desire to get started as soon as they could book 3 hours in a row and a week later I started full body laser hair removal using the LightSheer Diode laser.

End of Part 1

[ June 30, 2004, 01:02 AM: Message edited by: Balius ]

Ok to recap I was starting my laser hair removal and the date was September 19, 2002.

I do not know all of the settings used as I never wrote it all down. I did keep a detailed and dated log of the areas treated and the time used. I imagine if you search my old posts some information on the fluences used will be in there, as each of us are different the fluence levels are not transportable to another person and as such do not add much to this story. You will quickly determine if your are being under or over treated. I am also not going to go into excruciating detail of every treatment I had I will instead try and summarize my experiences. I was going to add pictures of my current state but my old digital camera can not take close-up (macro) pictures and the ones I did get are far from telling or helpful. Sorry but I feel inadequate pictures will only add to peoples confusion so I ask you to trust my words as much as you can.
Of note I had stopped epilating my hair about 3 months prior to starting laser hair removal, not all had grown back in yet but most of it was present and accounted for.

Round 1 Laser Sept. 19th – Oct. 1st , 2002

This was my first round of laser and I jumped in full tilt and took a 3 hour session to do my legs and feet. Another 3 hours the next day finished off my buttocks, back and bikini areas. On October 1st another 3 hours was needed to finish up the chest, underarms, arms and hands. All told my first clearance took 9 working hours and had settings in the 32J – 36J range with 100ms pulse widths. Of note the place I was going to had no qualms about working on all areas of the male body. They only avoided areas of high pigment such as most of the naughty bits.

Round 2 Laser Oct. 28th – Nov. 12th, 2002

Round two followed round one to a tee with the only exception of the fluences increased slightly to 36J – 38J. It should be understood that 3 hours at a time of laser is quite exhausting as you tend to be a bit tense due to and in anticipation of the pain. I never used any sort of pain medication but I can see the benefits if working on smaller areas that you can use EMLA on.

Round 3 Laser Dec. 11th – Dec 24th , 2002

Again round three followed round two but with a slight increase on some of the areas of a Joule or two. We switched to 30ms pulses on the back and parts of the legs since the hair was much less dense by this point. The switch to the shorter pulses was noticeable pain wise but still within the realms of tolerable without medication. Cause of the shorter pulses time was 8 working hours.

Round 4 Laser Feb 11th – Feb. 20th , 2003

For this round I elected to not do the back as it had showed great progress and the remaining hairs while numerous were much thinner and not easily targeted by the laser. This round took only 6 ½ hours as we were on the full auto 30ms settings the whole way.

Observations.

At this point I decided to stop laser and move over to electrolysis as I felt that laser had done all it could do cost effectively. If money was more plentiful I would have continued laser for a few more rounds to thin the hair out more. Laser was working but due to the great thinning I had seen electrolysis looked more cost effective.

End of Part 2

[ June 30, 2004, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: Balius ]

Now as I had mentioned in Part 1 the laser place I was treated at also had an in-house electrolysist. Having felt that laser had done a good and fast job of knocking the quantity and thickness of the hairs down, I opted to continue my treatments using thermolysis.

Now I was in for a shot of reality. Electrolysis over large areas is a much slower pace compared to laser, not to knock electrolysis but this is something that very hairy people need to understand. If I had started with electrolysis right at the beginning and skipped the laser part I can only imagine the extra time it would have taken for me to achieve the state I am in today.

Round 1 Electrolysis Feb 11th – Feb 26th ,2003

Yes you are seeing right I jumped into electrolysis while I was still undergoing laser treatments. My one day of hell consisted of 3 hours of laser followed by 3 hours of electrolysis, I will never again repeat this as it was a bit much for the will power to stand. 6 hours of discomfort made me a very tired and run-down man. Since round 4 of the laser was not doing my back I started there first with electrolysis and this round really only targeted the back and a bit of the arms and underarms, and hands. All told this took me 14 ½ hours to complete.

Round 2 Electrolysis March 25th – July 15th , 2003

Well as you can see from the above dates round two was really just a period of continual electrolysis going from area to area and back again. I no longer was doing things in static rounds. The reasons for this were both financial and logical. I was trying to achieve clearance in the areas that bothered me the most first such as my underarms, shoulders and hands and feet. All told this round encompassed a total of 80 working hours of thermolysis. Money was becoming increasingly tight and I felt it was time to take a breather from the hair removal and sit back to evaluate the level of permanence I had achieved. One thing you the reader should take from this is that hair removal on a large scale like mine is a long term commitment both in time and money. If money had not been an issue I probably would have continued at this frantic pace until I had achieved my goals.

Round 3 Electrolysis January 29th – June 29th ,2004

Well after saving for some time I resumed electrolysis but only over targeted areas hitting up my full legs once and then the underarms, nipples and upper chest 4 times. This round has taken another 19 ¼ hours.

As of writing this review I am still not where I desire to be hair wise but I have made huge progress. I shave my legs once a week achieving visual satisfaction. My arms and abdomen are the least finished and require daily shaving to feel smooth. My back is mostly hair free but could use a bit more clean up of the fine hairs. My underarms, feet and lower legs are in a fantastic position and have very few hairs left to treat. All told I am very happy with my progress and can finally see my end goals becoming a reality. Because of financial restraints I expect it will take me 2 or 3 more years to achieve this goal but at least during that time I can take heart that I have very little of the hair I used to have. Below I will try and list what percentage permanent reduction I feel I have achieved for each area, again this is just an observation and not scientific.

Back 85%
Shoulders 95%
Arms 60%
Underarms 95%
Hands 80%
Feet 95%
Lower legs 95%
Upper legs and knee cap 85%
Buttocks 85%
Abdomen 70%
Upper Chest 95%

Pearls of wisdom I have found;

1. Areas that respond well to laser, will respond well to electrolysis, and areas that do not respond well to laser will also prove tough to electrolysis. Case in point my arms and thighs are very resistant and have taken much more energy and effort to achieve the results I have so far.

2. Most of the re-growth from laser and electrolysis will occur within 2 months of last treatment. There are some stragglers many months down the road but for the most part that 2 month window worked well for me.

3.  As your hairs thin in diameter be prepared for the arrival of in-growns as the hairs become too weak to poke through the skin. I imagine this will affect males more with our thicker skins. I eased the burden of this through daily moisturizing and weekly exfoliations, but they still provided me with some frustrations especially with the thighs and underarms.

4. Be an active participant and discuss your feelings and results with the practitioners you frequent. Just because they are certified does not mean they are the most effective.

5. Pain is a very real aspect of hair removal. Understand that deeper thicker hairs will most likely require more treatment energy which can lead to more discomfort. Be prepared too lower treatment energy or take some form of medication to keep it in control if you can not handle it well. Too low of a treatment energy is a waste of your time and money, too high can cause excessive damage, striking a balance is what your job as an proactive consumer is. No pain means very slim chances of effective gain, intense pain means very likely chance of over-treatment, be wise and listen to your body.

6. Smooth skin with little to no hair is a wonderful feeling and I would not change a thing if I could go back in time. For me the money spent was well worth it to achieve the results I have today. I have not reached my goal just yet but I am at a point were I am happy and can live with the way I look and feel if I had too.

7. Laser does not work well or at all on blonde, very light brown, grey, white or red hairs. I should know as that was mostly what was left after every treatment with the laser. New technologies may change this but as of this writing the above is a safe and fast rule to determine if laser is worth your time and money.

Addendum

For those of you who want to do a little work in the bikini or more personal areas the One-Touch home electrolysis machine does work well, all be it at a very slow pace. Since the laser place I went to avoided the more sensitive and pigmented places and the electrolysists in my area will not work on a man in those areas I had little choice but to do the work on myself. I have achieved very good long term results from this work and figure I am upwards of 95% clearance in these areas. As the One-Touch uses galvanic it is slow and I have invested upwards of 50 hours just doing this small area.

Well hope I provided some of you a bit of insight into one mans journey of hair removal, and gave you fence sitters a bit more motivation to investigate further.

Wow! It’s great to see you again, Balius! Thanks for such a fantastic detailed report and long-term follow-up! This is exactly what I hope everyone here will consider doing!

hi balius,

thanks for such a detailed overview! it really helps me consider all aspects of laser hair removal.

i mainly just want to do my chest/abs, and i have quite dense/thick hair. do you know much about laser types and choosing the best wavelength?? i’m looking at either the ec diode light sheer or the Yag laser. Yag uses longer wavelength which i heard will penetrate better… but not entirely sure. i’m looking around for a place in edmonton… did u shop around much when u first started researching clinics??

Nice update balius,

Your hair removal battle sounds alot like mine except i have been getting laser for over 4 1/2 years, started on 38th birthday feb, 14,  2000.  Im 42, male, skin type 2-3. It sounds like your pretty hairy but i would bet the morgage that im hairier.Before i started laser My hair all connects from toes to face with hardly any bare spots, thick dark pubic looking hair everytwhere all the same texture. Your percentage of reduction is really good so far,mine so far are pretty bad .    Here are my results so far.  

Chest 8 txs , 7 months post= 10% reduction.
Forearms 8 txs 7 months post = 10% reduction
upperlegs 8 txs 7 months post=20% reduction
lowerlegs 8 txs, 7 months post=25%

These areas above ^ , i decided to not have a tx 3 months ago so i can really get a good look at these area,s and to see if i can live with them. I will be doing my wholebody again in late september or early october waiting for my tan to fade away so i can crank up the energy to max setting 50j 20ms . Im using the apogee 9300.

These area,s its still too early to say how things will turn out as it has been only 12 weeks post, i will give my best judgement on the progress. Also these area,s , the joules were increased to 50j from 35j the tx before so that is a 15j increase in heat.

Upper arms 14txs, 12 weeks post, the main crop of hairs never returned until week 10, before they returned in week 7. The first 13 txs i never made any progress, now i would say its looks like 50% came back and it looks like the hairs are a little finer BUT its way to early to say if progress was made, i should be be able to tell for sure at 5 months post if progress was made. If i see a differance in reduction from my upperarms compared to my forearms then i can say progress was made.

Back 14txs 12 weeks post, same as upper arms. Before last tx maybe 50% reduction. Too early to make guess on progress.

Butt, bikini 10 txs, 12 weeks post. My last tx on buttocks was only 35j my next will be 50j that is the max on this laser. Before my last tx i would say 25% reduction , now its still too early to say how the progress is going , the main crop of hair has not regenerated yet, there are alot of black pepper spots.

Knuckles 10 txs= 0 reduction
Front of neck 5 txs= 75% reduction , I would say this area turned out the best and the joules were only 25j 20ms. I wont have any more txs on this area. From what i read this is by far the easiest area to kill, must be some very weak hair to kill.

The back of neck 11txs = 0 reduction. I think it got worse, thicker hairs the size of needles. I had to give up and try thermolysis. After one year of thermolysis it seems i made a 50% reduction so far. I am giving this up for now and will try laser again and see what happens.

As you can see i have a long ways to go, im not looking for perfection, im hoping for a 50% reduction in some area,s and at least 90% permanant reduction in other area,s.

Hoodieguy

I only have had experiences with the LightSheer laser and as such can not provide you with an informed opinion on the NdYag based lasers. There has been posts from other members who have had treatments with other lasers and I would start looking there for some information and opinions on effectivity.

Of good news is that you are in western Canada. Alberta and Saskatchewan have numerous and reasonable priced laser clinics. My work was all done in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan but I have seen lots of advertisments from Calgary and Edmonton. All I can offer is that you go in person to these places and talk with the staff. There attitude and willingness to offer information will go a long way towards determining the best place for you.
To your question, no I did not shop around because when I started only 1 place was doing true laser hair removal in Saskatoon, most of the others were offering flashlamp and other temporary methods. I did price check to see if their quotes were resonable. Prices have dropped a fair amount the last 2 years so laser hair removal is more affordable now then ever (still not cheap).
While you are looking for a laser place also look for an electrolysis because you will need that service to finish up from the laser and to cover areas the laser can not be used on like hairy moles and nipples. I looked a bit freaky for awhile with a fairly clear chest and a ring of dense hair circling my nipples. So in summary it is nice to start electrolysis on the nipples and any hairy moles that are safe to treat (see a dermatolygist) around the same time you start laser so the two areas more closley match.
If you have reason to come to Saskatoon (family or relatives) I can give you the name of the place I went too just to give you an idea of what I consider a safe and well trained staff.

Rcrules

After reading your post I feel for you. It seems that laser is not working well for you. Have you investigated electrolysis? I know it will take many more hours of your time but as a treatment it might be the most effective option for you.

As for hairyness I was probably close to you in looks with not much concern of ever getting a sun tan or burn thanks to the thick hair I had. Only my shoulders and collar bone were visible.

If I may be so bold as to suggest you pick some small area and have it cleared with electrolysis a few times just to see what results can be achieved. I think once you see that small area start to achieve permenance the though of doing electrolysis over larger areas will become more acceptable. You gave laser a good chance and it might be time to try another approach. The results are more important the the method, I was lucky in that laser worked well for me but as a technology it is more sensitive to failing then electrolysis because it relies on hair pigment density and thickness to generate the treatment energy verses the heating of thermolysis.

Great writeup Balius! I have no doubts you will reach your hair removal goals. You have the right attitude and approach, along with realistic expectations.

I also agree 100% with your observations about the effectiveness of laser on finer and lighter colored hairs and the relative speed and effectiveness of electrolysis. Starting with laser and finishing with electrolysis gives you the best of both worlds.

I probably was not quite as hairy as you when I started, but my chest was probably worse. As a result I did not jump in and have my whole body done at once. I was very happy with the results I got on my chest and back and move on to have my arms and upper legs done, along with my beard. My skin is to dark on my lower legs, even for the Aurora. I will try a Nd:YAG laser there next year.

You might consider the Aurora on finer and lighter colored hairs. Based on m experience I feel that it has a definite benefit there.

Hoodieguy, if you have light colored skin and dark hair the Lighthsheer is the first choice. If your skin is darker and /or the hair finer the Aurora is a good choice. The results with the Nd:YAG on muy beard were very good. I had my back done with the Lightsheer and Nd:YAG and I thought the Lightsheer worked better there. The Apogee is a good laser but the Lightsheer is better.

Rcrules, I forgot which laser you were being treated with. Have you tried different practitioners? Their skill and experience are very important! Maybe you are being undertreated. If you have not done so already you should try the Lightsheer and/or the Aurora. If your skin is darker, try the Nd:YAG such as the Coolglide or Sciton.

RJC2001

my experience is a …story, also…

I don’t knwo how you guys can tell how much reduction you have, it’s hard for me to tell…

but here is the story. i appreciate any comments or solutions. no, i’m not happy, i didn’t reach my goal and seems like it will take time …and money, too. it’s hair free or hairy… only little and thin hair or more and course, doesn’t matter…

ok. about laser hair removal and my experience.
i started last year, in April , for back (side of the back, small area, shoulder like) hair removal. I’ve done 15 treatments so far, at 4-5 weeks appart. Skin Solutions uses CoolGlide.

The results?! hard to tell… some improvements, but not happy…hair is still present…
my concern and my wory is: how long should it take? when and if -someday- my back will be FREE of hair (completely).

When I started they told me I’m a good candidate, with white skin and fairly dark hair… So I should see results.

The thing is: every time, before the treatment, the area should be shaved… that’s the reason I think -in my case- hair comes back. Sure, I can see an improvement, maybe less hair than it could be and thinner, but doesn’t make any difference. My back still looks like “hairy”; true, light hairy. I never waited more than 5 weeks between treatments, so my next question is: how wil my back look like within few other weeks? now looks “few thinn hairs” because last treatment was done not a long time ago… but in time, after few months? is it worthy or the results don’t make any difference?

I tried upper shoulders, also. Here are few spread hairs, but they need to be shaved so doesn’t matter how small the area is. When shaved, it’s hard to tell and see where the hair is. So several times right after the treatment ( few days after)the hair is still in some areas… enough to look like “hairy”. (looks like it didn’t get touched)

When I saw the results are noticeable but not satisfactory, I asked them. My concern is that they never analyze or check the results, they seem to not care about patients and let all the things to just happen. Of course, now when I told them I’m not satisfied, they even answer me “hormons”… But i think this is just a cover for them…

I know is hard to decide and find the right laser for each type of skin and hair, but it should be something: when I started, I wanted to have no hair at all, completely…

6 months ago I started to do my chest, also… 6 treatments done so far and I see some results… Hard to tell, but it seems that whatever results I saw right after the first treatment (density of hair)it’s pretty much the same right now (looks like rows and columns on my chest, like the laser touched rows of my skin, like it didn;t cover all areas. I asked them why this happen and they answer “it’s the process that hair goes away”, not because they didn’t do a good job). I’m trying to say that the process reduce hair right after the first treatment and seems to me that the following treatments don’t do much, maybe to thinner the hair and slow (somehow) the regrowth, which I can’t see right now… it need time, month or a year to tell the difference. (strated at 36j-38j on back, now I have 46j-48j lately)

My question: what do you think abot my experience, where and what is wrong, what should I do? Should I keep doing it and spending lots of money or should I try to find a different place/ laser removal system?

There are few reasons I’m unsatisfied (at least):

• the staff didn’t pay attention (completly, with analyzing and observation);
  • the staff could be less knowledgeable (they are very polity and friendly, comfortable, clean though);
  • the laser could be out of date (there was a time I asked them and they answer that they just updated the laser, so it should be improvements…);
  • shaving before the treatment could keep the hair regrowth and also makes difficult to see the areas that need to be done;
  • many others.

Overall, the experience is not very good. Even if I may have less hair on my back and chest, it still look hairy. Even small side areas, they are all the same.

let me know at markda_p@yahoo.com

Hi Mark:

I’m rather surprised that the techs didn’t mention to you that you will not be 100% hair free with laser hair removal.

With my treatments the techs told me that some hairs will not be touched by laser because they are lighter in color.

I’m being treated with the CoolGLIDE also, but my skin is tanned and my hair is nearly black, or most of them are. The hairs that are not touched are the blonde ones (thanks to my Swedish heritage), or extremely light brown ones. However, the really black ones on my legs are nearly gone. I still have a smattering of lighter brown hairs on my underarms and pubic areas, but my legs are nearly bald, but I do see some vellus hairs left behind.

Perhaps you should contact the techs at your LHR place of operation and ask them point blank, what results they fully expect from your laser hair removal treatments. You may have been mislead with the belief that you would be completely hair free.

However, there is new technology on the horizon that will target blonde and white hairs coming on the market soon. I’ve been told that Palomar is currently working on a hand wand that targets hair cells and not color that should be out in the near future. That particular laser might work better for you since it isn’t the color that is important to the laser.

Keep us updated and keep your chin up,

Junie

tks junie for your reply. i contacted them and they don’t waht say anithing else but keep doing the treatments… and I’ll see an improvement. do you think that 20 (5 more from where I am right now) will do any better? I’ll do 5 more and I’ll let you all know. the hair is thinner but not very light… still black-ish… not bad, but close eye can see it.

i heared and read here that most of people did 5-7 treatments and everything is fine. well, i’m talking about 15 (!!) and my question is : is there any hope that this will work and how long it will take? is (1) my skin/ hair type, (2) the laser I use, (3) the incompetency of the staff or (4) that’s the way it goes?

any answers?

tks to everybody!

From the fluence levels you listed, it seems like you are being undertreated. For a Nd:YAG laser such as the Coolglide those fluence levels seem low.

Your time between treatments seems on the low side too, unless you are having different areas treated during consecutive appointments.

You may also want to condsider trying the Lightsheer Diode laser. It can be used on your skin type.

RJC2001

Junie keep us posted if you find out any more information on the upcoming Palomar laser. There was nothing on their website. The just show the SLP 1000 Auper Long Pulse Diode Laser and the Este Lux IPL.

My doctor is bringing a new laser back from NY this week or next but I don’t know anything more about it. I should know more in the next week or two.

RJC2001

Hi RJC2001:

The tech who treated me the last time went to a Palomar seminar in Boston approximately two to three weeks ago.

She mentioned that Paolmar is currently working on a laser that targets hair cells and not the hair color. So this new laser is supposed to work well on any hair, regardless of the patient’s skin color or hair color.

She also mentioned that the laser itself is completed, but the hand wand was still a work in progress. Palomar said their target date of release is October, but you know how that goes. It might be another year before we see any signs of the new laser.

Since I am not a laser expert, I don’t understand why the hand wand is so crucial with the new laser. Does the hand wand make that much of a difference with an old style laser hair machine verses a new one? I’m confused.

During my next session, I’ll ask the tech if she has heard any updates with the new laser hair removal machine. I believe her because she is a competent RN, who has been doing laser work for at least seven years with the same dermatologist.

Junie