My experience

Here is my experience:

2 weeks ago, I went for my first consultation. I saw a woman who practices multi-needle galvanic. My first impression when I walked into her entry lobby was, ‘dear god, what have I gotten myself into?’ The dimly lit room was cluttered with magazine articles all over the walls and old office furniture and tchachkas everywhere; I was soon to find out that her treatment room looked much the same but brighter. When I’m nervous I can be a bit quick to judge, so I took a moment to observe the cleanliness hidden behind the messiness and quieted my fears and filled out the forms required of me.

The practitioner talked about the process for 1/2 hour and then treated me for 1/2 hour (which I later discovered I had to pay for, is that normal?). Before treatment she told me that she does not use disposable needles because she has to have them specially made to use with her machine (I forgot what it’s called!) so she asked me if I would like to purchase my own set of needles for $25 that she would keep and dry-heat sterilize each time I came in. The other option was using her needles that are used on other people but she sterilizes them. Since I wasn’t sure I would be coming back to her, I chose the communal needles which in retrospect I think was a poor decision. I probably should have walked out because I kind of felt like she was scamming me. There I go being too judgmental again!

She worked on my chin. The experience was not so painful, more just very uncomfortable sometimes. She had me hold the metal thingy wrapped in a wet paper towel which gave me the heebie jeebies a little and then wiped my chin area down with rubbing alcohol. She inserted all of her needles, let them sit for a minute or so, removed the hair with a tweezer, then left the needles in a bit longer to finish the job and pulled them out. During the tweezer bit, I did feel some tugging which I have read on this site is a bad sign. To help with the uncomfortable sensation, she ran her fingernails gently across my skin near the areas being treated. This was a nice little trick and seemed to work, although I might have felt a bit less tense about it if she had been wearing gloves.

Afterwards I asked her about post treatment. She slapped some make-up colored, alcohol-smelling stuff on my chin and handed me an icebag wrapped in a paper towel. She recommended that I wash when I needed to with a mild cleanser like cetaphyl cleanser or something. As long as it wasn’t drying like neutrogina or cetaphyl for acne-prone skin (the 2 milder soaps I had at home). I asked about tea tree oil and she said not to use it because it is an oil and she didn’t feel comfortable recommending an oil for post-treatment. When I got home I washed off the icky smear on my chin with cetaphyl for acne-prone skin (after shelling out 65 bucks that I didn’t expect to, I couldn’t afford to buy something new just then) then I didn’t touch it for 8 hours. I gently washed again before going to sleep and put some aloe vera on. In the morning the area was a bit red and irritated. I washed off the aloe vera gel and used some tea tree oil (I trust James and co. more than this electrologist).

Things were looking better, but a few days later I seriously broke out on my chin! It’s only starting to get better now 2 weeks later.
I don’t think I’ll be going back to that electrologist because I was uncomfortable with her and her practice and I should trust my gut instead or berating myself for being too judgmental.

Wow, that is a long post. I just wanted to share this experience in the hopes that it would spur some helpful discussion or help others in some way. Thanks for your time!

Hi franny.

Thank you for your post and taking your valuable time to give the whole world feedback about your experience.

First off, I thought to myself, why in the world is this woman not doing something faster than multiple needle galvanic! Doing the blend on coarse chin hair would be my first choice because it is faster and it is very effective. Most notably, one probe is used for the blend and can be discarded after a treatment. Only cost’s a dollar per probe, so it’s not going to break anybody’s bank. Your instincts were correct and I’m glad you felt uncomfortable re-using someone elses probes! Your first impression of a cluttered, maybe unsanitary office, should make the red flag go up. How can you ever be sure that she is properly disinfecting used probes if her office is a mess?

We stress constantly to never re-use probes, especially someone else’s probe. HOWEVER, when one employs multiple needle galvanic, there is an exception to the rule to never re-use YOUR OWN PROBE. It would be economically depressing for you to pay $25.00 extra each time you had a treatment in order to have a set a new probes each time. Multiple needle probes CAN BE re-used if they are disinfected and then sterilized in a dry heat sterilizer or auto-clave after being packaged and sealed with the clients name and date on the outside. I do this when I use the multiple needle method, which is not that often. Jim Jenson, president of Gentronics who makes a multiple needle epilator, has told me in past phone conversations that a little tug on the hair is okay sometimes with multiple needle galvanic since the lye in the follicle keeps working several hours after treatment. So, a hair that doesn’t slide out nicely at times can still be destroyed. Galvanic electrolysis has a high first time kill rate, but is so slow and cumbersome, not to mention, the effort needed to maintain the probes for multi-use sessions.

The indifferent electrode that you hold in your hand with the wet paper towel is normal. I use a lavender scented baby wipe which is soft to feel and soothing to smell.

I don’t think she is scamming you at all, but I will tell you that I don’t like the fact that she doesn’t wear gloves. She’s touching you with her fingernails! Eeek! Did you see her wash her hands before treatment? Hopefully, she was not smoking a cigarette and letting a cat walk around the office, too. I honestly had a client complain about seeing someone who smoked while doing electrolysis. The cat jumped up on her abdomen when she was laying on the dining room table having her chin treated. She was out of there!

Aftercare: truly, a mild soap like Purpose or plain Cetaphil is okay. Aloe Vera Gel 100% during the day and tea tree oil at night is all you need. Forget this colored make up stuff. Maybe that’s why you broke out on your chin. God only knows if the makeup like stuff she used was contaminated.

Please try other electrologist’s and compare. At least find a good blend electrologist that also does thermolysis. Either method will serve you well as long as the practioner knows what he/she’s is doing.

You can do better than this.

Dee

This is a prime example of why NY and other unregulated states’ electrologists should be regulated and inspected!

Here is my experience:

My first impression when I walked into her entry lobby was, 'dear god, what have I gotten myself into?

Before treatment she told me that she does not use disposable needles because she has to have them specially made to use with her machine (I forgot what it’s called!) [color:“red”]She needs to update her equipment. [/color] so she asked me if I would like to purchase my own set of needles for $25 that she would keep and dry-heat sterilize each time I came in. [color:“red”]How can you be sure she does this, keeps yours separated from the others? [/color] The other option was using her needles that are used on other people but she sterilizes them. Since I wasn’t sure I would be coming back to her, I chose the communal needles which in retrospect I think was a poor decision. I probably should have walked out because I kind of felt like she was scamming me. There I go being too judgmental again!

To help with the uncomfortable sensation, she ran her fingernails gently across my skin near the areas being treated. This was a nice little trick and seemed to work, although I might have felt a bit less tense about it if she had been wearing gloves. [color:“red”]Unthinkable in this century! [/color]

Franny,

Thanks for sharing with us. As dfahey said, probes (needles) can be re-used as long as they are sterilised afterwards.

However, the setting up cost of a multi-probe galvanic machine is a lot more than the cost of the thermolysis or even the blend. That’s why you see people offering thermolysis a lot more than the galvanic. An autoclave machine is not cheap either.

Antony

Another thought:

even though probes should be discarded after single use (unless mulitiple needle galvanic is used), I can’t imagine any electrologist not having a dry heat sterilizer or auto-clave as part of their office’s arsenal. Even though you are not sterilizing single use probes, you should be sterilizing the forceps. Forceps(tweezers) should be disinfected in a solution and ideally run through an ultrasound unit to loosen debris, dried and packaged, then put in a dry heat sterilizer or auto-clave. Yes, these units are expensive, but that is the cost of doing business to the highest practice standards. The client deserves and pays for the best and safest treatment scenario, and forceps need special care, too.

Dee

I can’t imagine any electrologist not having a dry heat sterilizer or auto-clave as part of their office’s arsenal.

Yes, these units are expensive, but that is the cost of doing business to the highest practice standards.
Agree, but many of those people do business without satisfactory equipment/standards.

Hi-I’m so happy I can finally help somebody after receiving so much help myself from this website.
I have been going to a wonderful electrologist for the past 2 years. I have had a lot of work on my face and she has NEVER left a scar- in fact, by the time I get out of the subway, the redness is gone. She is also quick and effective. I have graduated from my face and now doing my arms (on that area, little red marks do stay for around a week and then go away). Also, her manner is very nice, very comforting. I’m not sure about the terminology, but I think she uses blend and one disposable needle. She definitely wears gloves!
Her work on my face has really changed my life and I can’t reccomend her enough. Her office is also a bit dingy and cluttered but the room she does the electrolysis in is clean.
Write to me if you would like her info!
-Nancy

Thank you all so much for your input. It is so comforting to know that I can turn to this community and get such honest and informative responses to such an emotionally charged (for me at least) issue. I need to know what I’m doing right and what I’m doing wrong!

To NancyK, thanks for your offer- I think you gave me your electrologist’s info in another forum about a month ago and she is next on my list of practitioners to try after my skin is a bit more recovered. Maria Vega, right? Although judging from my facial skin’s reaction, maybe I should try a less conspicuous area this time.

Thanks again, everyone (especially Dee for your long and thoughtful response) and I will keep posting about my trials and tribulations and anywhere else I might be useful…

Franny