My experience

Hi, everyone–
I’ve been reading this site every once in a while, but this is my first post on the forum. I decided that I would like to share my experience with a light called Epilight. Now, this may sound ignorant, but I’m not postive that Epilight is a flashlamp-so I may be in the wrong forum, lol-but I know it’s not a laser. It works like a laser, though.
A little about me: I’m a 23 year old male(just had my BD on Wed, lol), and the past couple of years, I noticed that my beard was getting thicker. A few months ago, it was really driving me crazy. I always had stubble, even when I had just shaved. It was getting annoying to look in the mirror and see all of those little black dots of stubble all over my face. Now, I really don’t like body hair in general, but atleast on the body, you can wax or epilate. You can’t do that on a man’s face.
Anyway, I had looked into laser, but it was sooo expensive. Then my Mom had revealed to me that she had been going to this spa and getting Epilight treatments for hair on her chin. I decided that it sounded perfect for me. I went and met with the certified nurse who performed the procedure, and I decided to do it. I was a good candidate for this procedure because of my dark hair and light skin. At my consultation, she did a test patch on the side of my face, so I would know what to expect. I thought it wasn’t bad at all. She asked me if I wanted to use this product called Laser-Kane(sp?)-which is supposed to numb the skin-, but I passed, seeing as how that would be an extra 30 bucks. The procedure I was to have done would cost $295 a session for the full beard area. Not bad at all! Laser for the full beard was over $600, so this was half the price. She also offered a package, but at that time, I didn’t know how many sessions I wanted to have done, so I just opted to pay for them individually. I was very excited.
My first session: This may have been the most painful experience I’ve ever been through. Seriously, I didn’t know if I was gonna get throught it. The way it works is that there is a “beep” right before it zaps you, and that “beep” makes you so tense! Everytime she zapped me, my head bounced up. I felt like I was being electricuted or something. That day, my face was kind of red and sore. She told me I’d be fine by the next morning, and that the hairs that responded should fall out in about a week. When I went home that day, I figured that would be the last time I’d do this, because I couldn’t take the pain.
A week and a half later, I noticed that my face was smoother. I couldn’t believe it. It actually kind of worked. I could actually shave and be somewhat smooth. At this point, I would say maybe 15 or 20% of the hairs “fell out”, but still this was very exciting to me. She told me I needed to wait atleast 3 weeks between treatments. So I scheduled another appointment, only this time I told her I was definitely using Laser-Kane!
Second session: Wow. The Laser-Kane really helped. I could still feel it alright, but the pain was somewhat bearable this time. Definitely worth $30. This time, it took 2 weeks for the hairs to “fall out”. Maybe at this point, I’m at 35% clearance, I don’t know. But I do know that I LOVE running my hand against the growth of my beard and not feeling prickly stubble.
Third session: Now, I’m thinking that this may be my last session. After all, I didn’t want total clearance, just wanted to thin my beard out.
Fourth session: I decided to go back and do just my upper lip and chin, the parts that seems to have the thickest, most stubborn growth. I wanted it to be more even.

Ok, well, that’s what I’ve done so far. I think that I might have 65% clearance. I think I may like to have 2 more full beard sessions. I do beleive she told me that 5-6 treatment could possibly produce 80% clearance, so my results are in line with what the claims are. I just don’t have the money right now. But I can honestly say that I love the results. I really do. I love the confidence I have. I love feeling that when someone kisses me, they don’t feel thick, nasty stubble. I find myself constantly running my hands across my face, because I can’t believe I’m actually smooth. Wow, I can’t believe how much I love it. It was really worth it. I hope the results last.
If I ever get $rich$ one day, I wanna just have Epilight performed all over my body, and just be done with it, LOL.
Ok, well, I hope I may have helped anyone that’s thinking about Epilight or any other light-based treatments. Feel free to ask any questions.

Great post! I was thinking of having my beard done with laser. I have had my upper body done with great results. I think I am just about done and then on to the beard. I had part of my neck done just where the beard is and it was noticeably more painful. If you have any more areas done you may not need the anesthetic. Did you have to wrap you beard in saran wrap like is done with Emla anesthetic?

BTW, Epilight is a flashlam. INteresting that it is so much cheaper than laser. I wonder if the laser hurts as much as the flash lamp. I know the fluence on the laser has to be turned down to do the beard relative to body hair.

RJC2001

Great post, kevs! :grin:

Flashlamp has been a little cheaper because the results don’t seem to be as good for permanence as some lasers, and there have been more reports of side effects with flashlamps. EpiLight is the most common of the flashlamps.

I have several friends who have used this on male facial hair and found it did reduce darker hairs, which can have a great cosmetic effect of reducing shadow. They can go 2 to 6 months between treatments. Those seeking complete and permanent hair removal may need to supplement laser or flashlamp with electrolysis after a certain point. There’s diminishing returns with each laser/flashlamp treatment in consumers who respond to treatment.

Future treatments are never as bad as the first, when you will have more hair than the subsequent treatments.

You are absolutely right that hair around the mouth (chin and upper lip) is the hardest to remove for good. This is true for electrolysis as well. Unfortunately, this is also very sensitive and easily damaged skin, so careful treatment in this area is important.

Definitely keep us posted. Also, can you tell us the dates of each treatment you’ve had? It helps give us a sense of the time frame. I hope you have continued good luck!

For those considering male facial hair removal, it’s a very difficult task, so I recommend finding someone with a lot of experience. I generally recommend looking into alexandrite lasers or diodes for this type of treatment.

I was going to get my beard done this spring but I ran out of time. In wanted to get my chest back and shoulders done first. I’ve been out boating for 3 weekends and as a result have a very dark tan so I will have to wait until next winter.

Andrea have you heard from any people with dark tans that have been treated with the Nd:YAG laser? Just curious. I’m very happy with the results. I have not had very much regrowth and most of it is so fine I can’t even see it unless I’m in the sun and look at it from a certain angle. So fine that the electric shver totally missed it! I’ll have to shave with a Mach3 Turbo sometimes so I won’t miss it.

I will wait a month or so and maybe have electrolysis done on any white chest hairs that come back. They are just like wire. You are very right about diminishing returns as treatments progress, but I have to say the diode laser has worked very well and better than my previous treatment last year with the alexandrite laser. The alexandrite did very well though on the first few treatments, with hairs literally flying out of the follicles.

My laser tech said a lot of caution is required for facial hair. Lower fluences are used to reduce post treatment swelling but the results have been very good for the patients done so far.

RC

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Did you have to wrap you beard in saran wrap like is done with Emla anesthetic?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>No, she just put a lotion on my face at the end of my session. That was it. She told me that I was actually a lot less red than most people after a treatment.
</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>There’s diminishing returns with each laser/flashlamp treatment in consumers who respond to treatment.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Yes, I think this is true. With each treatment, the results have been less drastic.
</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Also, can you tell us the dates of each treatment you’ve had?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Sure. I don’t know the exact dates, but I can give you an estimate. My first treatment was sometime in mid-January. My second treatment was five weeks later, in Feb. I didn’t have my third treatment until the beginning of April, so I must’ve waited about six weeks. And I think it was four or five weeks later, in May, that I had only my upper lip and chin done. I think that was a good idea, because it evened out nicely.

So, yeah I will keep you all posted. I may have another treatment in the next month or so, if I can put aside enough money, lol. I really love how this has worked for me. But yeah, you’re right Andrea, if someone wanted NO beard at all, this might not be the right method for them. But for someone like me, who just wants a much thinner beard, it’s been good. Oh, and I just remembered that yes, the Epilight did turn a lot of my hairs light(some that didn’t fall out), so you can’t really see them. This is just fine with me, too. I’d much rather have those blonde thin hairs that you can’t see, than have those thick, course ones. :slight_smile:

[ June 16, 2002, 11:32 PM: Message edited by: kevs ]

Has anyone come across Radiancy - spa touch photoepilator. How effective do you find this. Is it a form of flash lamp… thanks