My Electrolysis Diary: starting October 2011

This sounds like an excellent result - well done for sticking with it! :slight_smile: I know exactly how good you must feel, not having to tweeze hairs every day is wonderful, and it saves so much time too. Thanks for your comments and good luck to you too!

Update: Iā€™m still going for electrolysis twice a week on my chin, neck and side of face. Sometimes for 30 minutes per session, sometimes for 20 minutes. This week was my best week so far in terms of re-growth - there were only a few noticeable hairs on my chin at my mid-week appointment, and they werenā€™t anywhere near as obvious or coarse as the hairs I was getting a month or so ago. Yay!

Update: Well, itā€™s been nearly three months since I started electrolysis! Iā€™m still going twice a week for 20 or 30 minutes per session. Iā€™m very happy with how things are going, although as Iā€™ve mentioned before itā€™s not always easy because I am aware that I have visible dark hairs on my chin at certain times of the week, although they do become less noticeable as time goes by. For example, I wonā€™t usually go out on Friday night (as that is when my regrowth is worst) but I will go out on Saturday or Sunday after my treatment on Saturday morning. This is a trade-off Iā€™m okay with because the results of electrolysis are great, and Iā€™m looking for a long-term result.

At the moment I still donā€™t know how long Iā€™ll be having treatments for. Will it be another 6 months? Another year? Thereā€™s no way of telling but Iā€™m sticking with it. Committing to electrolysis has been one of the best things Iā€™ve done in 2011, so Iā€™m definitely continuing the fight in 2012ā€¦Yee-ha! :cool:

Happy Christmas and best wishes to you all! :slight_smile:

Hi winter, Iā€™ve PMā€™d you a few questions,but forgot to ask about your higher levels of testosterone. I believe I also have too much of the pesky hormoneā€¦ did your doc advise you on what to do differently or what you may expect from your treatments ?

Oh yes, I meant to write an update about the testosterone issue but forgot!

I went to see an endocrinologist about my testosterone levels. The surprising outcome was that he said I DONā€™T actually have high testerone - he analysed the results of my blood test differently than my GP. He also said my facial hair problem is most likely ā€œfamilialā€ rather than being caused by a hormone imbalance. I was rather surprised by all of this because I was sure I had high testosterone (Iā€™d done research on the Internet and it all seemed to add up). He said that electolysis is my best option and to continue what Iā€™ve been doing so far.

Good on ya! Itā€™s great to hear success stories and itā€™s neat how the simple act of effective hair removal can make such a positive change in peopleā€™s lives. Best of luck in 2012!

do you have any more updates for us winter11? would love to know how you are doing now so many months afterwardsā€¦send us some hope!
lan

Thank you Forever! A new update to follow shortlyā€¦ :grin:

Sure thing, lan, I do have some hope to share! Best of luck to you. :slight_smile:

The great news is that I hardly spend any time thinking about my facial hair anymore. It really is MUCH improved. During a normal week, I do not pluck, shave or bleach at all. This is a big relief and I am so grateful that I have been able to move on from the constant worrying and plucking of previous days. The regrowth on my chin (always my worst part) is much less noticeable. There are certain weeks when I have only a few hairs that anybody would notice unless they chased after me with a magnifying mirror and pinned me down in my chair (!) Furthermore, I no longer have a ā€œdark shadowā€ under the skin and the new hairs are finer and more spread out than before.

However, I am still going for electrolysis twice a week for 20 to 30 minutes at a time. This is quite expensive but itā€™s still a price Iā€™m willing to pay. And I know Iā€™m lucky that I can afford to do so. As well as my chin and neck area, we are now working on the sideburns and the finer hairs at the side of my face.

I went away on holiday last month for over a week and it gave me a good indication of how far Iā€™ve come. Donā€™t get me wrong - hairs did appear on my chin and neck and I had to pluck and shave them but the hairs were far less than the amount I used to get on holiday. So it wasnā€™t perfect, but it was manageable. In the past I felt out of control and constantly worried about facial hair while on holiday. (By the way, I know I shouldnā€™t have plucked the hairs but I had no choice as I couldnā€™t allow my travel buddy to see them and they were the only ones I plucked in six months! So give me some credit! :smiley: )

In summary, I still have a way to go. Iā€™m hoping to decrease my treatments to once a week in the next couple of months (I will give an update when this happens) and I think this is a realistic goal.

This diary is now 7 months old and I I hope that I am past the half way point of my journey. To all those of you who are just at the beginning - keep strong and donā€™t give in. I know how difficult it is, but donā€™t give up and above all donā€™t be too hard on yourselves.

All the best x

You are on a down hill slide now that seven months has passed. Congratulations.

I remind my clients after every appointment not to get discouraged in the first six months. You have to. They will see waves of new hair emerging and think electrolysis is not working. Not only are we electrologists, but we are coaches and cheerleaders pushing our hair athletes through hard times.

Time for another update! :slight_smile:

Well, Iā€™ve now been having electrolysis for 1 year and 3 months. I am still going once a week for about 20 minutes. It has been a slow process for me, and I still have some visible hairs (although much less coarse and less noticeable than before) between sessions. Most of the hairs have gone from my neck and sideburns. It is my chin where the hairs are the most stubborn and are still hanging on. But I can see a good, steady progress in the mirror. I no longer have any discoloration of the skin from hairs under the surface, which is great.

Overall, Iā€™m still VERY happy I started electrolysis in 2011. Itā€™s had a fantastic impact on my life and continues to do so. Itā€™s definitely not a quick fix but it works. Iā€™ll post another update when Iā€™m going less than once a week.

You can probably go once a month for an hour instead. It may be cheaper and more convenient. It will also be a little easier to tell true progress.

So, itā€™s now been 2 years, 2 months since I started electrolysis. I havenā€™t posted again since last year because Iā€™m still going once a week for 10 mins. Iā€™m surprised about how stubborn the last few hairs on my chin are, but Iā€™m pleased to be able to get them dealt with each week and no longer worry about my facial hair issues. Maybe some time next year I will be able to cut down my appointments to once every two weeks.

Iā€™m happy to report virtually all the hairs on my neck and sideburns area are gone!

Overall, electrolysis has been a long term solution for me, but itā€™s the only thing Iā€™ve tried that has really worked.

Congratulations. would you consider posting a before and after picture?

Thank you. Unfortunately I donā€™t have a before photo - I tried to take one but the quality of the picture was not good enough to show the hair.

Ok, well a good after pic will at least show that good work exists, and your skin doesnā€™t need to look like someone played darts with your face, using red hot tips. :wink:

I am encouraged about reading your story, it sounds similar to mine. Iā€™m on the 7month time frame now and am seeing results, itā€™s just hard to not get discouraged about the amount of money and time spent.

I know what you mean - it is expensive and time consuming. But when I think of how upset I used to get about my facial hair, I do feel itā€™s worth it in the long run. I hope you continue to see good results and then you can look forward to cutting down on the frequency and length of sessions!

A year to a year and half is what it takes for most cases if one is getting cleared every time they visit the electrologist. That is a short amount of time compared to other goals that we try to accomplish in life. Practice patience and you will profit. That sounds like Confucianism lingo.

Hi LAgirl,
Just wanted to ask a quick question to your response, what do you mean by it being easier to tell true progress? I was just curious because I started out my sessions in August going twice a month for an hour each time and then last month I had to cut down to once a month for an hour long appointment. So Iā€™ve had 8 hours of electrolysis and I still see a lot of hairs. The hairs feel as though theyā€™re coming in more because my skin doesnā€™t feel smooth the way it used to when I shave. Now when I shave it feels bumpy. Iā€™m hoping what Iā€™m feeling are hairs trying to push through to fall out. Is that a sign of progress? Does it happen that way?

Congratulations Winter on your progress, I wish I could go every week because Iā€™m just starting out but I canā€™t believe that youā€™re still going every week and youā€™ve been going for the past couple of years. Are you finding that the hairs are at least less dense? I look forward to a hair free me so Iā€™m willing to put in whatever time I can afford.