My electrolosys probing method

I have been seeing the same practitioner for nearly a year now and working on shoulder and back both with what appears to be fast and successful treatments so no issues on this part.

she uses an Apilus machine using usually 3 pulses however sometimes depending on how thick the hair she is working on is 2 or even 1.

one thing i notice is that when she works on hairs requiring multiple pulses that once inside of the folicle she touches the bottom of the folicle, hits the button to fire and after the first pulse very slightly moves the needle (while still inside of the folicle) up and down until the 3 pulses have finished.

Every hair she removes there is never any tugging and they appear to just “slid out”.

she is a member of the BEA.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight on this method as i have not heard of it before. with that said i will prob speak to her about it the next time i see her but for now interested on others views.

Hi!
I’d be happy to talk to you about this.

First, as described, the method you are talking about very closely resembles what we in the industry call the “Variable Depth technique”. The idea is to treat the entire bulb area. With hairs like chin hairs or neck hairs, the bulb of the hair can be 3-5 mm in length in some cases. Most insulated ( read ballet, or sterex, both common in the UK) probes have a much shorter exposed uninsulated area than that, so there are 3 ways to address this issue, One is to give pulses at marginally different depth in order to spread the treatment over the other area, and this sounds like what your electrologist is doing.

Another technique , applicable with some more advanced methods ( primarily Synchro on a Xcell or platinum by dectro) they endorse moving the probe while the pulse is being delivered and so distributing the energy that way.

The third way, and that which I work and I know some others do as well, is to use a protec Isoblend probe. These have a longer exposed uninsulated area of the probe, which aligns nicely with the entire bulb of the hair, meaning the entire bulb is disabled with a single pulse from the epilator. This was dubbed by our own Dee Fahey as the “One and Done” stategy, and for discomfort reasons, this is the method I prefer, but it is a preference and not a “rule”.
Regardless of the method chosen, they all achieve excellent results. So there isnt a right or wrong answer here. The fact that your esthician is getting a good release of the hair without traction consistently, speaks highly of her skill in dispatching hair with her chosen treatment strategy. With that in mind, my best advice is to stick with her and that method until finished.

Seana

Thanks for this, i will speak to her about this next week as im quite interested to know.

Another question i have if you dont mind which ideally i don’t want to start a new topic about is typically out of every 100 hairs using this method i have been treated with (its not blend but i think flash or multiplex) on the Apilus machine - how many of the 100 treated follicles will be permanently disabled and never grow back, assuming every one of them slid out without any plucking?

My electrologist is pretty fast at 8 hairs per minute being a worst case scenario and best around 13 to 15. i would say 10 is a steady average.

I appreciate that regrows from hair below the skin or dormant follicles cannot be treated so i am just referring to the kill rate of 100 follicles treated.

thanks,

There is not one person that can give you an accurate accounting of kill rate over so short a period, on an unknown/unseen patient with a electrologist of unknown skill, based on some modality information. The best you can hope for is what is called the Total Treatment Time , that is the total number of hours to complete the job . This and only this number has any meaning whatsoever. Attempting to "guess " the kill rate for a given practitioner in a given modality is a complete waste of time. There are other more telling factors ( such as is a good release of the hair from the follicle achieved) . This has far more meaning than any average of “how many hairs are killed” . Completely pointless.

She is doing a great job . I do the same thing and it is highly effective. Electrolysis is as much an art as it is a skill. There are many paths (that work) for disabling hair follicles and what she is doing is one of the most common paths for thoroughly treating the follicle. By the way, being a member of the BEA or AEA or anything with “A” at the end does not assure someone is better than someone else.

1 Like

As Josefa repeated me, the kill rate depends on each practitioner.

If electrolysis is correctly applied, the kill rate should be near to 100%

1 Like