Moving Overseas--Time Between Treatments?

Hello all. I’ve been lurking on these forums for awhile and have gained some really great information. Based on what I’ve read here, I finally decided to go in for electrolysis on my chin a few months ago. I’ve gone about every 1.5-2 weeks for the past 2.5 months. The first time, it took about half an hour to achieve clearance, but after that I’ve been able to get full clearance in 15 minutes. I know some people on these forums go only every six weeks or so, but I find that the hair grows back quickly enough that I have enough for a full fifteen minute session every 10-14 days.

I have extremely fair, sensitive skin and dark, coarse, black hair. Although it took a few sessions to find settings that could effectively clear the hair without causing a bad skin reaction, my very experienced electrologist worked with me and now I experience little to no irritation. It’s been a great experience overall.

Unfortunately, I found out a few weeks ago that I will be moving overseas to a developing country for work within the next month. There is no possibility of getting electrolysis there and I will only be back in the States about once a year (for three or four weeks each time) for the foreseeable future. I’m really bummed because I don’t want to lose all of my progress. At the same time, the hair on my chin is so thick and dark and grows back so quickly that I don’t really think trimming it with scissors or leaving it alone is an option. Makeup alone doesn’t effectively cover it. As a result I have two questions:

1. Is it worth continuing electrolysis if I can only go once a year? Will this make a difference and will I eventually be able to achieve permanent clearance? Or do I just need to give up for now until I move back to the States permanently?

2. What other hair removal methods can I use in the meantime? My electrologist suggested cutting the hair with scissors, but given the amount of hair and the speed with which it grows back, I don’t think this is a great option for me. Although I know it is bad, plucking is the method of removal that lasts the longest.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

wow, i feel for you. you should definitely clear up as much as you can before you go and schedule visits when you return to the states to visit.

As hard as it’s going to be you must resist the urge to tweeze. You’ll make your problem far worse and it’ll ruin your skin as well.

I don’t know if you’ve done much travelling but it might put you at ease to know that not everywhere in the world is as obsessed with appearance as the States. If you shave/trim your chin no one will care and it will not dull your beauty in the slightest.

Try not to lose your progress because you’ll regret it for sure.

What country are you going to? These days, electrologists are beginning to show up in more parts of the world.

Some electrolysis is better than none as at any given time, there will be some hairs in the early stage of growth when electrolysis is ideal.

How do you feel about shaving?