most likely pcos

For about a year I had been doing research on PCOS because of my hair problem specially all over my body where females normally don’t grow any hair; chest, abdomen, lower back. I also have sideburns, upper lip hair, and noticing some under my chin. They are not coarse hairs but still bothersome hairs. I’ve been treating the sideburns, upper lip, eyebrows, and abdomen with electrolysis. I can say that I am very happy up to this point but just wish that the process would go faster. The only way for this I know is by spending more hours in which I wish I could but my electrolysis only books me for 2 hours and sometimes 3 or 4 if I get lucky [she’s very booked]

I went to the doctor on August 2008 and he ran tests on me. They came out in range and he crossed out the possibility of me having pcos also becaue of my slim figure. He said it was just hereditary. But I wasn’t happy with the answer because I know that in my family no one has this hair problem. So about a month ago I gave it another go with another doctor. She deffinetly paid more attention to my concern and ran a lot of tests on me.
My sugar levels came out high, and my hormone levels were not within range. She ran an ultrasound and I went in yesterday for the results. I have a 3cm cyst on my right ovary. :frowning:
I’m very happy with my doctor since she took me serious about my concern and has sen me to an endocrinologist who is also running tests on me. Everything is happening so soon and this is what I want in order for me to fight this back.
I wouldnt like to grow a beard or anything like that. There’s already enough distress with the hair that I have at such a young age [i’m 20] and yes it causes a lot of social and self-esteem issues.
I feel dirty, not normal, and its basically not fair.
Anyways to make things short,
I know that some people who take medecine like Metformin, Spiro, or Birth control pills like Yaz notice a decrease in their hair growth, or even notice that their hair gets less dense and coarse. But the bad thing is that, once they get off the medication, it comes back. Am I correct?
I know I have electrolysis there to help me. I know it. Its just that I would like to have kids in the future, and I would like to get married and all that good stuff that life offers.
Making myself happy right now is going in for treatment every week for two hours and endure the pain, and see results. I just dont want to see anymore hair.
I hope I make sense as I feel I am ranting away.

Thank You.

Ive been getting treatment with an apilus since August 2008: sideburns, upper lip.
November 2008: Started on the abdomen and eyebrows.
I get one hour on the abdomen, one hour on the face.
Considering underarms and bikini real soon with the Lumenis Lightsheer diode laser as I am a type III or IV [im light skinned just not light enough since I am hispanic]
the sideburns look pretty good, but still need more clearing. The upper lip gets a few hairs here and there. Not much of a biggy. The hair on my body is not laser candidate as it is not coarse enough.

i forgot to mention that my doctor is willing to help me with the insurance to see if they can cover my electrolysis.

i also forgot to mention that my periods have been regular. they were irregular from the time i started at 11, up until the age of 15. The most I would miss was like 2 months.
Sorry.

This is interesting to read. We always say that many doctors don’t take this seriously and are not willing to go the length necessary to figure out what’s really going on. I personally think it’s best to go to an endocrinologist directly from the start since they’re specifically experienced and trained in this area.

I’m glad you’re getting answers now. But yes, medication only controls the side effects while you’re on it. That said, many women without hormonal issues still take birth control their entire lives, so it’s not that bad. I would at least try it and see what happens. Electrolysis will only kill the hair that’s there now. So I would get on something to prevent new growth, which is especially likely at your age, just so you can see true results of electrolysis and not feel like it’s not working.

What type of electrolysis is being used? Thermolysis is fastest.

Thank you for responding. I’m gettig thermolysis done.

What type of thermolysis? Is the warmth you feel after the probe is inserted less than a second or for a few seconds?

Dee