Modern Galvanic and Kay Lasker

I have no idea about Kay Lasker, but Dwight Letchworth appears to be (or was) living in Santee, California … no doubt long out of the electrology business. I remember Dwight stating that battery power was the purest form of DC however, I believe the primary reason for the battery approach was to circumvent the expense of UL Laboratories clearance for anything plugged into the electric grid. I always thought the name “House of St. James” sounded like a brothel.

ha ha … you’re right on all counts. Also, when his business went “south” he torched the place … got caught and probably didn’t get the insurance …

Didn’t realize he got caught, but they always do, don’t they? While I was in school in San Jose (1980), I flew down to LA and spent some time with Dwight … mostly shop talk and touring around LA in his old beat-up limousine (an odd bird indeed), and was offered a job working at H. of S.J. on Santa Monica Blvd. when I graduated. I started to notice a lot of things he said were contradictory and did not add up, and eventually, I got cold feet and never went forward with the job offer. I never knew what was behind it all, but my intuition told me I would not be in a safe environment. It was mysterious and unnerving. When I attended the 1980 AEA convention in New Orleans, I met an electrologist that told me about the fire. The rumor then was he fled to Mexico which might or might not have been true.

I think forming a network would be awesome, I would love to know where in the world everyone is spread out. Where have you found information about machines possibly coming out this year? That’s news to me, I’d be interested to look into it!

I am located on the central Gulf Coast in Mobile, Alabama (two hours east of New Orleans). The following companies are working on new multi-channel galvanic machines: http://beverlyhillshairfree.com and https://permanence.com.au/. What do you think about a practitioner-only Facebook site for sharing and networking? The only remnant of Kay’s original study materials I have is a faded copy of the Epilation Charting System and a single metric ruler she sold to record follicle depth (a vital component of the charting system). I seem to remember the charting system was originally available in booklet form and was quite detailed. Somewhere in storage, I have high-quality audio tapes from her three-day continuing education class lectures on Modern Galvanic. How should we proceed?

Sounds like you’ve got some very valuable information that could help the entire industry … and point electrologists in a valuable direction. Instead of forming a “private members only” group, why hot present this information on-line, Youtube or PFD documents so that not only a tiny group benefits … but all of us?

That’s a great idea Mike (why didn’t I think of that?). Kay Lasker was involved in medical research before she drifted into our field so her study materials were top-notch. Her Epilation Charting System measured and recorded hair density, diameter (using a micrometer), and follicle depth which allowed the electrologist not only to chart progress but to prove definitively within their own practice (using data) that electrolysis is capable of permanent hair removal. … and as you know, the more data you collect, the more accurate and useful your numbers become. Kay was also the first person that called for the use of ultrasonic cleaners, autoclave/dry heat sterilizers, matching follicle depth to probe length, and using voltage regulators/conditioners for our equipment. Soon thereafter, the AEA began recommending ultrasonic cleaners and autoclave/dry heat sterilizers. Kay also designed and sold her own MNG machine. Beneath that rough mad-scientist exterior, Kay had a lot to offer the profession. It’s too bad she never got the credit she deserved.

Sounds excellent … I’d love to see everything you’ve got … and so would many others.