Moderate vellus hair removal, pcos,Indian skin and in India

Hello. So, I’ve diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21.And ta-da,I got fuzzier. I’m 25 now and I have been lurking on all subreddits and here always sitting on the fence as to get electrolysis done.So, I’m shit scared to go to an electrologist in India even more so after reading on here that Indian skin was prone to pigmentation/scarring if an inexperienced electrologist handles it.

Um…so the video above states that galvanic is the best aproach.

Also, I’m not on medication for pcos.I’m maintaining my weight, have regulated my periods so far, I’m still trying get my insulin and testosterone levels under control.

I’m sorry for the unnecessary details…so, the thing is I’d like to treat my pcos and go for electrolysis on the side, I have vellus hair with respect to texture but longer than peach fuzz and spread over entire face.

I do have PIE from acne and so I was wondering what are the questions I must ask the electrologist.

Thank you.

Will post pictures soon.!
Edit : this is the growth 1553431345306864042679|370x500

Good luck finding an electrologist that will only do galvanic electrolysis. Thermolysis will work beautifully on your fine hairs, medium hairs, thick hairs and very thick hairs.

I don’t agree with that video. It actually made me angry, but I’m doing better now.

All forms of electrolysis work. One very important concept to keep in mind is PEOPLE WANT THE HAIR OFF FAST. THE CONSUMER WILL NOT BE HAPPY PAYING FOR 50 HAIRS REMOVED IN ONE HOUR at s rate of $60-$100 per hour on average. They will give up because they are going broke…

Get as many consults as you can. Let your instinctive juices guide you, along with anything you have researched. Get short treatments. Ask to talk to clients that are finished and happy.

If the electrologist doesn’t have a good vision setup, with a good light they will never see the hair you want removed, so observe their equipment. I wear surgical loupes. Others use a stereo microscope. Some use a magnifying lamp. If the electrologist expresses frustration with seeing the hair, they probably don’t have a great setup for this type of hair and you should look on. They may tell you that you are worrying about nothing because they cannot see the hair. Don’t settle for this. Keep hunting.

3 Likes

I’m in agreement with Dee in that this video makes me angry, but I’m not so sure it’s for the same reasons as Dee.
I’m going to put aside the speed of epilation issue ( which with pure galvanic may be even slower than Dee suggests) . The video start, by misleading the consumer, then builds on this by continuing to mislead throughout. And it ALWAYS seems to be the galvanic operators that try and draw this comparison. It starts with the very first statement made in the video, and it’s not only misleading it comes very close to being defamitory, and aside from all of that is just plain wrong!!!

so lets start with the text statements one at a time and address whats being said:

“The fine hairs on the face ( cheeks) were growing till the eye of this young man and he wanted them removed. IT took us two sessions to remove all the fine hairs on the face ( cheeks) and around the eye”

If I take this statement at face, value, it gives the impression that these “2 sessions” will be all that is required to keep this hair away permanently, . This just isnt the case, and just the same as every other modality , a contiguous series of treatments with a minimum duration of 12-18 months must be performed to effect permanency . Inside of a month these areas will look exaactly as they did before the treatment.

Then there’s this second statement
" Galvanic Technique of Electrolysis though time consuming gives superior results as compared to thermolysis technique" and right from the get -go we have modality bashing . The truth is there is ZERO DIFFERENCE between the results of any of the 3 modalities. This statement is not only incorrect, it’s strait up marketing their results as superior when they are NOT. Then this is followed up by this:
“with Galvanic technique there is no chance of burn injury to the skin as in thermolysis technique”, well, this may be he case, but we are not talking about a “burn injury”. We are talking about electrolysis caused damage. Do you want to know how many “burn injuries” have been caused by thermoysis such that medical interventiion was required in the the history of electrolysis? ZERO! NADA! They are making it up, and the issue does not exist.

then we come to this:
“And the result is 90 to 100% with galvanic technique for permanent hair removal as compared to thermolysis which has 10% result on average”
Again, incorrect. Modern thermolysis techniques attain kill rates in the 75-80 % range and is grossly misrepresented in this video.

Here’s where I stop, because like Dee, I’m more than a little angry and upset at this point. All this within the first 1:13 of the video.
The video is trash. The assertions made by this UNETHICAL practitioner are blatently libelous and do not report anything close to the truth. Do not give any faith in the marketing assertions of this person.

There are just as many ( though different) complications that can occur with galvanic treatments as there are with thermolysis or blend. One modality is no better than another, and anyone who tries to tell you differently is strait up lying to you. I dont know why its always the galvanic operators owho try and speak such non-sense, but it makes everything they say after that point valueless and completely destroys the practitioners credibility in my view.

As one parting note, there’s enough crust and grime evident on the chuck of that needleholder to contaminate every single needle ever put into it. Clean your bloody equipment!!!

3 Likes

I’m broadly agreeing with Dee and Seana here.

Since your primary concern seems to be hyperpigmentation, it should be mentioned that this is a temporary side effect of electrolysis and will fade in the months after all of the electrolysis treatment schedule has finished. Of course, an inexperienced electrologist may cause more noticeable hyperpigmentation, but even among industry superstars, hyperpigmentation, to at least some extent, is a reality for clients with olive or brown skin.

Scarring can occur with any modality on any skin as a result of a poorly skilled practitioner. Galvanic electrolysis does not guarantee that your skin will not be scarred or face adverse effects.

More generally, there are several harmful inaccuracies in that video. The one that I take issue with is this myth that galvanic is therapeutic or beneficial for the skin, assumedly in comparison to thermolysis. This also ties into any claims about ‘burn injuries’, which are based on a misunderstanding of science. Whether the electrologist is using galvanic, thermolysis or a blend of the two, they are creating a very tiny burn injury within the follicle. This is a necessity for permanent hair removal. The injury is controlled and minimised by a skilled electrologist, but the nature of the treatment is to injure the follicle. It therefore follows that a poorly skilled electrologist can cause an unnecessary level of damage with any modality.

And if the electrologist who made this video does not believe that lye has the capability to cause any burn injuries, he can volunteer to make some lye water and stick his hand in it to prove me wrong, but I hope everyone is smart enough to not do that.

2 Likes

My heart is racing because your reply was so wonderful, Scurvy! The OP posted something that reaffirms my friendship with HairTell since 2003. We must… we are OBLIGATED to push back on inaccuracies about electrolysis, which are sadly pushed by colleagues who believe their modality is superior to all others. Every modality works lovely in skilled hands and with someone who has half a brain.

Quick edit here: forgot to say that if I saw those sickle-like tweezers coming at my eye, I would run for the hills and never go back.

Thank you so much. I’ll look for an electrologist with surgical loupes and other things you have mentioned.

I’m sorry for the annoyance of the video. I literally have no reference point for electrolysis in India and everybody is of the opinion that laser is a better bet but my research tells me otherwise. I will surely question the electrologist on some of the things you have spoken about here.Thank you .

Thanks so much for the input.I will surely keep in mind that temporary hyperpigmentation might be something I’ll have to deal with depending on my skins reaction.

. “and right from the get -go we have modality bashing” Question - who is doing the modality bashing? you? it is a point of view based on her experience to be respected. she is selling a treatment that she believes in and is creating a business around her belief system. It is called marketing and marketing is legal.
“Inside of a month these areas will look exactly as they did before the treatment.” this statement

“The video is trash. The assertions made by this UNETHICAL practitioner are blatently libelous and do not report anything close to the truth. Do not give any faith in the marketing assertions of this person.”

“The one that I take issue with is this myth that galvanic is therapeutic or beneficial for the skin,” - she is correct, galvanic needling is a very large part of the beauty industry now.

I ask you to be respectful of what you don’t agree with.
I ask you to have an open mind to galvanic. There is plenty you can learn.

No I’m not going to allow what you have presented to go unspoken to.
Starting with this:
“Question - who is doing the modality bashing? you? it is a point of view based on her experience to be respected. she is selling a treatment that she believes in and is creating a business around her belief system. It is called marketing and marketing is legal.”
Actually no. This was a direct reference to the assertation that "Thermolysis was “burning patients” and it’s limiting the kill rate statistic to 10% and then asserting galvanic was producing a 100% kill rate. Simple Fraud. Just because something is legal, does not make it moral or correct or ethical.
The entire video is misleading to the client from start to finish.
““Inside of a month these areas will look exactly as they did before the treatment.” this statement I have to question - lets keep an open mind here. firstly, how much experience have you had working with galvanic? If you are a past galvanic user, then you would know it is very possible to see a difference within a month”

What you suppose is not what this video supposed .It makes the point that all it was going to take was these two treatments and the hair was forever gone. It completely sidelines cycles of growth, and that the majority of hair that grows in an area is NOT PRESENT TO BE TREATED . You cant use modality, to explain away the hair cycles of growth. My point was that the statement, as presented by the author was untruthful and deliberately misleading. It isnt marketing, its a bold face lie to every consumer who vues it.

“if you have not worked with galvanic then I guess it is Fake News”
News flash, I HAVE worked in galvanic such being documented on this very site, and found it to be slow, painful, with no better result in relation to end results than any other modality.

““The video is trash. The assertions made by this UNETHICAL practitioner are blatently libelous and do not report anything close to the truth. Do not give any faith in the marketing assertions of this person.”
As a professional I am truly ashamed of these comments. You know nothing about this person, and nor do I, she is speaking her truth - yours may be different, mine is different, however she has taken a modality that she believes in, as a business owner is promoting her business and has a right to do so.”

It’s perfectly ethical to market ones modality. What is NOT perfectly ethical is to make incorrect or liable assertions about other modalities in an effort to promote your own modality. And this is one thing, I have noticed you seem to have a real problem with. And not just you specifically, I mean a large number of galvanic operators in general ( Example, the Susan Laird Site) . When you promote untruths, in order to somehow show your own product in a better light, ignoring the limitations and deliberately misleading the consumer, that is no longer marketing. It’s Fraud.
Simple truths :slight_smile:
All Modalities are equally safe and effective and give perfect results.
The modality chosen by your operator, is the one they feel they can give the best and most efficient results.
The minute you start making up side effects , making yup random statistics with no basis in fact , of other modalities in order to promote your own, you have already lost. Because they ALL give beautiful and permanent results.

Seana

Seana,

Wow, you should say, these guys doing galvanic are truly amazing what can we learn from them? have we overlooked something with galvanic that would allow us to improve our service maybe add more value to our clients, and have an end result in 12-18 months?

I want you to look at our two different points of view - yours in inverted commas and then mine.

" found it to be slow, painful, with no better result" -

• I finds the treatment sessions are longer in duration, less painful according to 95% of clients that have had thermolysis and can compare, however the end results are delivered in a much shorter time frame and 15-20 years later still nothing returned on those I have checked. Incredible results!
    COMMENT You found it negative, I found it very positive however we are both right from our own perspectives

“galvanic was producing a 100% kill rate. Simple Fraud.”
What you are missing out on, if only you could have an open mind and realise the Galvanic users are delivering 100% end results. I offer 100% guarantee and never been challenged once on my end result delivery by anyone who has done the treatment - and I quote upfront hours required.
"a large number of galvanic operators in general ( Example, the Susan Laird Site) . When you promote untruths, in order to somehow show your own product in a better light, ignoring the limitations and deliberately misleading the consumer, that is no longer marketing. It’s Fraud. "
I just looked up Susan laird site as I had not heard of her. I read it with respect from her point of view as one professional to another. I got a feel that she was passionate, always trying to find new ways to improve, and no doubt investing into researching the challenges of the process for the benefit of all. I could read nothing from her point of view that would call for such strong words as fraud.

There is one very important parameter in the Electrology field, which is TTT (Total Treatment Time).
This is the TTT to finish any given area of the body in this 12-18 months time frame.
Every electrologist charges the client by the treatment time.
If I was a client I will chose the electrologist which will finish with the shortest TTT.
Also knowing that all modalities give the same final result I will put the electrologists using galvanic at the end of the list because of their Long TTT, therefore it will be the most expensive treatment.

Well said Dimi.

Constance:
I have backlog of 34 complete FULL BEARD REMOVALS all completed within the last 18 month. Every one within 100 hours of Total Treatment Time, every one with perfect results , no scarring of any kind. I will not tolerate practitioners who cannot accomplish this same task in the same period of time , making up complications that DO NOT EXIST in order to attempt to push their own modality.

When you have accomplished the same with equal results, then you too can blow your horn. In the meantime if yyou intend to make up falsehoods about other modalities in an effort to push ypuur own, I will call you on the lie every time.

Why would anyone choose a practitioner who engages in this kind of behaviour? I’m beginning to see why you felt so attacked by the members of this board when you came here pushing the exact same agenda. I’m very proud of the electrologists who have stood up for the facts about their modality, and took the time to discredit the lies.

This is all I will say in regards to this thread, and I’m bringing the thread to close.

Seana