Men's Leg and Body Hair Removal

Well, it sounds like there are 3 or 4 of us, out of millions, with the same opinion about pit hair! ITs a start, anyhow. I was reminded of my hatred for pit hair today when I went to watch my son play tennis at tennis camp, and my brother-in-law came as well. He wore a sleveless shirt (“wife beater”), and when he picked up his arms, he has masses of dark, sweaty pit hair, and while natural, it was totally disgusting. I cannot imagine anyone finding that attractive, sexy, or anything but gross. WOmen I’ve known do not seem to find armpit hair particularly attractive, though a few women like men with a little tuft of soft hair, which maybe means guy about 16 years old. I like having my pits touched, licked, kissed etc, as they are very sensual, but my wife refused until I shaved them. I remain convinced that the reason men rarely wear sleveless shirts, despite having more muscular arms to show off, is that the fashion industry knows no one wants to see men’s pits, but no one has pushed men to shave them, like was done with women, either. And, in contrast, if you have nice muscles, shaved pits look very sexy. When I called a woman about electrolysis in my pits, she acted very surprised a man would want that. I think she is more used to doing mens backs and chests. Now, why are women (and men it seems) so put off by back hair, but not pits is beyond me altogether.

Hi RJC

I am still going to have 2 more lazor sessions on my legs, focusing on the upper areas. I would prefer electrolosis on the lower legs. I have been told that this will be the best combination.

I will let you all know how it works.

Regards
Stuart

Sounds like a good plan. The newer microflash and picoflash machines are supposed to cause less scabbing.

RJC2001

Hi RJC

Yes I hope this works. It seems to me that energy input is the ultimate factor in hair removal, despite how it is named. Clearly one’s tolerance to this energy input is how well we react to skin treatments. I believe this also applies to electrolosis (shaving has the same effect I think, in that one’s skin gets used to the abrasive and exfoaliting effects of blade and electric razors putting energy into hair removal).

You can’t achieve a result without work so the side effects of all treatments need to be accepted as you embark on the hair removal journey.

Regards
Stuart

Hi RJC

Yes I hope this works. It seems to me that energy input is the ultimate factor in hair removal, despite how it is named. Clearly one’s tolerance to this energy input is how well we react to skin treatments. I believe this also applies to electrolosis (shaving has the same effect I think, in that one’s skin gets used to the abrasive and exfoaliting effects of blade and electric razors putting energy into hair removal).

You can’t achieve a result without work so the side effects of all treatments need to be accepted as you embark on the hair removal journey.

Regards
Stuart

I agree. No pain, no gain. Also a committment of time and/or money is required.

RJC2001

Hello RJC

What I find interesting here is that Andrea’s Hairtell Forum is quite unique. It is American based but has attracted a huge amount of members and participants from all over the world. Surprisingly also a lot of men. All these people range from straight to gay and just about everything in between, so in short a forum that has attracted a very broad spectrum.

What also is interesting is how many guys dislike hair no matter where they live. From this I would say it seems most men don’t remove unwanted hair purely from old fashioned tradition (like pits, legs, chest etc.). Also I think most guys would like to do it but are a bit shy because of peer pressure (as with Josh as we have all seen). It also seems from the basis of what has been posted here that there is no relationship regarding hair removal amougst guys and sexual orientation. Clearly you don’t have to be gay to want (and do) shave your legs (for example).

I hope this forum will continue for a long time because I think we are seeing a big change in thinking here.

Regards
Stuart

I agree. There may be some people that think removing body hair is gay, but I suspect it is not that many. They used to say the same thing about earrings too, but look how many guys are wearing earrings nowadays, and in both ears!

Gay men are probably no different than straight men as far as preference for body hair goes.

I think it’s safe to say that body hair removal for men is a trend that is growing. And as shavers, razors, electrolysis, and light based methods improve, hair removal will become more popular.

This summer has been really hot in the Midwest, many days in the 90’s. In South Africa you are probably used to that though. I really feel the benefits of hair removal in weather like this! And having my armpits cleared as helped even more than I expected. Who wants to wear a fur sweater (or pants) in the summer?

RJC2001

Hi RJC

Yes there is no hair benefit in a hot climate. SA and the Midwest are similar in temperature in summer. I can honestly say there is no way I could go back to the hairy legs I used to have. The shaved look is far better in all respects.

Gay men, I agree, don’t really differ in hair removal than straight men. I have mentioned this before because one of my best and longest friends is gay and doesn’t shave his legs or any other part of his body other than his face. So I have a good perspective on this.

Earrings are a good example as you have said. Over here this started in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Lots of guys thought this to be a gay trend, which has proven not to be.

My thinking is that most guys would at least like to try say smooth legs, but are afraid of explaining why, for fear of being called gay (not that should even be an issue today).

Regards
Stuart

I agree in my experience the percentage of gay men who shave their body seems about the same as straight men. Actually, hair/no hair is a big issue among gay men, if you look at message boards and such they usually say if they are “smooth” or not. But, there are plenty of gay men who prefer hair, and some who don’t. HOWEVER, I agree that there is a strong perception out there that leg and pit shaving is a “gay” thing for a man to do. One could easily say, “so what, who cares if they think I’m gay”, but the fact is there may be that perception. My wife actually thinks its kind of a gay thing to do. Unless, of course, you have an athletic reason, such as cycling, swimming, bodybuilding, then it is perfectly masculine. I think is what is perceived as “gay” isn’t shaving per se, it is spening time on how you look, which men aren’t really supposed to do.

The reality is, no one really notices, and if they do, they don’t care. I can’t remember the last time anyone said anything about my legs, arms or anything else, except I look “buff”. I think people take in the effect, but not the details. THis is especially true of men, who may think you look good, buff, whatever, but not realize you shave. WOmen are more likely to notice the details.

It is funny recently a guy came to the house who I just thought “looked gay”, his head was shaved, he had an earing, whatever; but he was happily married it turns out. So , these judgements we all make are totall erroneous anyhow.

Being hair free is more comfortable in hot weather, that’s the fact of the matter. Your sweat evapourates better, and you have less “insulation” keeping your body heat in. I hate heat, and will do whatever it takes to be comfortable, regardless what others may think, as long as its not blatently offensive. Shaving is definitely harmless in that regard. As to whether it is a big trend or not, I really don’t know. I think its a little trend, myself. Being very hairy is definitely out. Being totally smooth isn’t that popular either. BUt, the trend is towards smooth, so see how it goes.

Along the lines of this thread, I saw an advertisement for the new Hulk Hogan show on TBS I believe. The commercial showed him working out, and even Hulkamania is shaved underneath his armpits.

My 2 cents (female perspective):

Firstly, my preferences and ideas regarding men and hair is probably (actually, most definately) coloured by my own position as a woman. I’m hairy – I mean I’m here, right? I grew up feeling that my gender was perceived as somewhat masculine.

I don’t know in what ways this compares with straight men’s discomfort (is “discomfort” too weak, or too strong a statement?) with the idea of being perceived as gay. For me, “hairiness” was extremely painful, deeply affecting my intimate relationships and self-esteem. In my case, “shame” encapsulates this feeling.

Is shame part of the male experience? Along with words related to “discomfort” with mis-recognition of sexuality, I’m seeing words like “dirty”, “gross”, “beer-belly” [could class-anxiety be part of the male experience?].

Personally, and probably because of my history, I actually prefer hairier men (who in contrast, make me feel more feminine). Also, I find hair on a man’s arms, legs, chest, and stomach to be very sensual in feeling (hair provides a pleasant stimulation, and feels cozy somehow), and visually attractive, signifying “maleness” to me. I must admit that I prefer shoulder, back and groin hair be groomed (trimmed is fine for me). Neutral toward armpits. (Of course, these are aesthetic preferences – I’ve gone out with hairless guys, really short guys, bigger guys – in the end, it’s all about the connection.)

I’m not grossed out by hair on men, I’ve helped my boyfriends and brothers wax/pluck/trim/shave their backs and shoulders, when/if they wanted.

Slightly less personal observations:

Not sure how representative I am of reproductive-aged women. I’m 28 – guys weren’t doing this stuff when I was in high school. Also, the crowd I hang out with isn’t particularly physicalist in orientation; most of my friends are artists, writers, fellow students and academics, who might want to look hip, but aren’t (or won’t admit to being) overly concerned with showing skin, or caring about particular body parts.

I have noticed though that my brothers (one is 27, the other is 23) and their crowd are VERY attuned to grooming of all kinds. Their lifestyle and preferences are different than mine – they vacation at Mexican resorts, they can listen to Top 40 radio without wincing, they use slang unselfconsciously, they’re in general more tuned in to mainstream currents in pop culture.

Their criteria for what constitutes attractiveness for themselves (and their mates) seem to be very rigid, from my POV. Hair removal is part of “taking care of yourself”. It’s part of what it means to be successful, in some way, implying mastery over self, hygiene, health, youth, fitness in the working world, etc… it goes along with being active in sports, business, and (I think) being of a certain class.

For me, hair removal is a chore and a pain. I think this trend might lead to unnecessary (i.e., worried, self-conscious) preoccupation with the body (vs. “good occupation” - using it for sport, fun, etc., as a matter of course, of being in the world.

But I don’t begrudge anyone’s use of their body – if you like yourself less hairy, if doing that alleviates psychological or social strain, or just feels nice, good on you.

p.s. Anyone know of a good, quiet, battery-operated clipper? I’m going to be travelling for a year, and need something I can use in multi-roommate situations, camping, etc. Talk about preoccupation!

1 Like

Hello rain

Thanks for a very well worded post. I enjoyed reading that! Take an electric and a blade razor with you. Either can fail you but not likely both.

Many (and likely) a majority of women expect hairy guys, simply because thats what they were born to expect. This is all relative anyway as I don’t choose permanent removal of my beard, which some guys do today.

My leg hair removal is a very real issue with me and I can honestly say (sport aside) I feel better with smooth legs. Appearance, comfort and my own self esteem are all improved by shaving my legs. Many women have said I look good smooth, but then again not many notice so this is not really representative of much.

I will venture an opinion from my side that guys with very hairy legs actually look both silly and juvenile. There is no need to prove one’s manhood on the basis of (for example) hairy legs or chests etc. More important is one’s confidence in society - that is where you are really measured - and in fact if you care about this sort of thing.

I do not judge anybody on their cosmetic apperances. You have said you find hair on a man somewhat sensual. I think a lot of men will feel lack of hair equally sensual with their partners (male or female).

It is natural for young males to feel proud of body hair, but then that is also only a product of perception. Why exactly should a boy consider coarse hair on his legs a sign of being a man? Far from it. Also many women will probably agree that a man with smooth legs and well defined muscles is much more sesual than a man with thick coarse hair everywhere.

I think even fitness is not totally the issue as well. During winter my finess level drops as I don’t cycle as much (I hate the cold as much as the heat). I don’t see an issue with young guys shaving any more than young girls. We are all to a degree a victim of social perception. I enjoy my smooth legs and am sorry it took so long before I started shaving them.

Regards
Stuart

Yes, rain, thank you for taking time to reply. I actually wish we had more female perspective here, as it differs.

My perception about women and whether they like hairy men is simple: some do, and some don’t. But, the intensity of the preference is quite strong, often, and that is what I don’t quite understand. There clearly is an age issue, as you noted, when you were younger, men (boys) didn’t shave their hair, this is a relatively recent phenomenon. I am much older than you are, and in my generation, the only guys that shaved as teens were swimmers, cyclists and bodybuilders. My ex wife much prefers me with hair, except armpits which she would never go near when they were hairy. She liked to play with the hair, as you describe. Obviously I have issues with whether body hair is masculine, as women have it too, but I guess by eliminating it on one sex, you can intensify the sex difference of hair.

From the perspective of the male, it feels much better to be touched if your skin is smooth, as the hair dulls the sentions. While you may prefer touching a man’s hair, he will enjoy it more if you touch his skin. But, many men only really care to be touched in one place, so that may not be a big issue for them. I personally love how it feels to be touched all over. Another issue is, when I rub my smooth legs against a woman’s smooth legs it feels wonderful to both of us, usually, as opposed to rough leg hair against smooth legs. That would maybe feel more “male”, but surely less pleasant.

In your case, since evidently you have more hair than many women, your perspective may be unique. First, you may feel that hair removal is a pain, and why on earth do it unless you absolutely have to. And, I can see where you’d like the contrast with a man that has more hair than you. Some men have very little hair to begin, and if they shaved, you might feel the hairier of the two, making you self conscious. I doubt men, by the way, would care in the least. And, some men like women to have hair, it makes you feel more like a grown woman to them, not a girl.

At the end, it is a personal preference thing, but there is a clear trend towards men showing smooth skin. But, still, in many schools, if a boy saw another guy shave his body, he’d think its “gay”. I’ve listened to my 14 year old son enough to know. Maybe in high school, or maybe in other schools this is different, but things have not got to the point where boys and girls are shaving their legs equally, yet. It may.

I wonder what it does for male/female relations if we begin talking about shaving our legs together, or, having co-ed waxing parties?

Hi Veinlover

You are correct in your observation that the intensity of reaction of some women is puzzeling. I have no real way of quantifiying this is SA as it is accepted readily here. I did notice while in the US there were some double takes and one women I had lunch with said she felt cyclists looked " a bit gay" which she noted “was probably due to the tight clothing they wear as well as shaving their legs”.

I must agree that the clothing while fit for professionals and keen enthusiats, does embasses me a bit on the rare occasion I team cycle. For the most part I ride for fitnes and fun, so I tend to avoid this. But more to the point smooth legs on men attract attention because it is still somewhat unusual on a global perspective.

When I was in high school in the 80’s only very few boys shaved, but nobody called them gay. The penney should have droped for me then, but I was a bit too shy to try this in school.

It has occured to me reading the last few posts that acceptence of shaved legs in SA may be due to cultural features. Generally leg hair is rare and often absent on black skinned Africans. Since the end of “Apartheit” in SA in 1994, schools were integrated, and society, to an extent not seen for more than 40 years here.

Our situation is quite rare in this regard. Possibly high school kids with fair skin and hair on their legs actually get laughed at as a result. This is only speculation, but is worth a thought. As you noted your son’s peers would regard leg shaving as gay, but naturally smooth skinned Americans are rare by comparison to Africans (From my limited observations of course).

I have no doubt that mens hair removal is the way of the future. I may not live to see it but I do think men will also have smooth legs as a majority in future. Just look at beards in western cultures, most men are clean shaven. There is no reason this should not extend to legs as well. Many women have pointed out to me that a moustach or beard “looks dirty”, again social perception as this is natural on a man.

We will see what happens, but I think hairy legs are soon to end for most men.

Regards
Stuart

Guys,
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. So please pardon me if this is the wrong place to post.

I am extreemly hairy. I have lotsa hair in my arms and legs. Chesk and belly, moderate hair. I have always wanted to remove the hair and be smooth but havent done it because I didnt want other commenting.

Anyway the only thing I have done is to use a clipper to clip my hair in the arms and legs so that it dosent look as hairy.

Now I want to get it all removed and I want to start with my body hair first. What would you guys suggest.
Electrolysis or Laser?
Also I have to shave my face everyday. I dont intend to grow a moustache/beard ever. Is there anything that can be done to remove hair from face. if not permanently if something can be done to slow down the hair growth in my face it will be great.

All suggestions appreciated
Thanks

From your description you have a lot of hair to remove. I would start with laser and finish with electrolysis. Of course you must have dark hair for laser to work. If you have light skin, the Lightsheer is the best choice. If you have dark skin, a Nd:YAG laser like the Sciton would be the best. The hardest part is finding a good practitioner.

RJC2001

Hello prabs24

For proven permanent hair remaoval electrolosis is the way. This is probably the best thing for your facial hair. As RJC says lazor will be good to start on body hair as well as legs and arms. You can’t do it all at once, but if you want a smooth look you can always shave while you are busy with the other areas. I started a while ago with some lazor on my legs, but it takes time so I still shave as well.

I agree with RJC that a good practioner is important. Don’t go for the cheapest and first you find. You will find lots of referrals and information in the main index for the USA. If you are still unsure your doctor could be very helpfull. This is how I found my practitioner.

Regards
Stuart

Hi,
Yes I do have dark skin and dark hair. I am of Indian origin. So starting off with laser for arms,chest and legs and finishing with electrolysis. How about the face? Does laser work on the face as well. Do men generally do the face too?
I dont want to be an exception and dont want people in the salon to think that I am gay/ tg. Have any of you guys ever done your face?

Also, I will look for laser specialists here. Anybody from Austin TX?

Thanks

My main and only summer sport is cycling, not a very common one but a great one none-the-less. I would say that 99% of people who cycle, and that’s a lot of people, shave their legs. There are a multitude of reasons including ease of cleaning, less risk of infection, ect, ect. I have always wanted to do this as my legs are quite hairy but never got around to doing it as I wondered what others would say. It can sometimes be embarrassing when your at a race, and a large majority of people have silk smooth legs and yours are gorilla like. However it can also be embarrassing when people you have known for a long time look at you and see that your once hairy legs are now hairless. It is a debate I have had with myself for some time.

After reading some of the posts in this thread and taking the advice of some fellow bikers, I think I’ll give it a try and shave. I’m always nervous to do something different but I think this is one thing that has to be done. I may use a hair clipper first and shorten the hair and then shave or use one of those creams that you apply and wipe off. I will see what works best.

The other problem I really have with my hair is my face. I have rather bushy eyebrows and have always wanted to do something about it. Can anyone suggest treatment that can be sought to shape / remove some of the hair and thin them out a little? Thanks to everyone here as this really is a great forum that has undoubtedly helped a countless number of people gain self confidence and their life back.

Well, This is my first post. I just found this forum about a week ago and have been reading through some of them. but thought I would add my observations.

I first started removing my body hair about 3 1/2 years ago. And when I first got it done a bunch of friends at the bar that I frequent (Country Bar) gave me a bit of crap about it, but this was typically only the males that said much, and they would try calling me Waxxy or Sir Wax a Lot. But I just took it with a grain of salt. They quickly quieted down when I was getting quite a bit more attention that they were, and women would just walk up to feel my legs and ask me how I got them so smooth.

I also noticed that Bathing is easier, and there is quite a bit less odor. I was getting sweat stains so bad that I switched to black T-shirts, and that was virtually eliminated when I removed my hair. I then realized how porous hair really was, and how much it held. it makes it much easier to dry off if you are smooth, since the water basically runs off of you when you rinse and is not held there by the hair.

Recently I tried shaving with a Blade and found that it was too time consuming, and I would nick myself on occasion, which was a pain.

I then tried Nair, because it was supposed to last longer. It did last a day or 2 longer, but not much. And if you use one of the products. Do the test patch to make sure you don’t get a bad reaction. I got a couple small Chemical burns on the back of me legs where I couldn’t reach very well. (Luckily they were very bad, and healed in a couple days.

I have decided to go back to waxing for now and start looking into electrolysis. The person I was seeing to get Waxed would do just about anything but the head and male genitals. But she got married and moved to another state. (that is why I tried shaving and Nair)

I recently found another person that does waxing here in my area after driving around for 5 hours from one salon to another. The most common response I got wat they would only do eybrow waxing on men. The person I recently found to start doing my waxing was freindly, her response was anywhere hair grows she will wax. I have an appointment with her this next weekend, so we shall see how it goes.

IMHO though, I get more attention from women being smooth than hairy. Some of it is because they are curious to find out how little hair you have, the rest because they like the look. If you can take a little bit of ribbing from your freinds, I would say that it is well worth it to remove the body hair. Here is a list of advantages that I have seen.
easier to bathe, less odor, cooler in summer, you dry faster, shows more muscle definition, less risk of infection with cuts and scrapes, its more aerodynamic (thats why swimmers do it) You can feel your clothing, and it fits better without a bunch of hair holding your clothing away from your skin. You get touched more.

Hi

As a fellow cyclist I can assure you that smooth legs are the way to go. There is no need to be nervous about shaving your legs. Many guys worry about this because there is a perception that shaving your legs is wrong as a man. This is not so. Most proffesional athletes and active sportsmen shave their legs.

Having smooth legs does not change anything about being a man, it only helps in sport and appearence. I don’t know too much about the eyebrow problem, but maybe trimming will help. For a more permanent solution I would suggest electrolosis for a comparitively small area like this.

Regards
Stuart