Marks four weeks after upper lip electrolysis

Hey there

I’ve been having electrolysis on my chin area for about a year now (currently 30 mins every 4 weeks) and at my last appointment I got the corners of my upper lip done too for the first time. 4 weeks later I still have marks on my upper lip and it’s really upsetting me. I don’t know if it’s normal or not. I have another appointment on Saturday but I’ve spoken to the provider over the phone and they’ve advised I stop on that area and it could be because I’ve started taking sertraline that this issue has occurred? I’d like to know if it’s a post inflammatory response that will go away or if I will spend forever trying to conceal / fix this new problem.

I’d love some input from anyone who is willing.

I’ve found it really hard to get a good photograph of it - apologies!

It appears you have mild hyperpigmentation (not marks) which can be normal for some clients. Hyperpigmentation always goes away. If you are more concerned about hyperpigmentation than getting rid of the hair, I advise against electrolysis on your upper lip.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply! I really appreciate it. Is there anything I can do to improve the hyperpigmentation or is it a case of leaving it? Am I right I’m thinking hyperpigmentation like this can take months/years to go away? And would further treatment darken it / cause more? I’m trying to weigh up which is easier to deal with, hairs or dark spots. Thanks again!

Most of your concerns will be answered here.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for this. It’s very informative and understanding the science is good for my brain haha. Annoyingly I’m a blue eyed person who doesn’t tan but does seem to get PIH after pimples or cuts on my face. So it makes sense that I’m seeing it with electrolysis also. I actually think I do have it on my chin too, but it doesn’t bother me because I don’t see it. Really appreciate your reply. And I’m glad to hear that it always goes away. Thanks again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

An update on this - the hyperpigmentation has taken a couple of months to clear but it’s almost completely gone. Just wanted to thank you again for the really useful information, knowing that it would heal and clear up made the process much easier :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did you continue getting electrolysis or stop? I’m contemplating if the hyperpigmentation is worth it as I have had similar reactions and have similar skin (though my electrologist was great on my chin and never left any marks. She retired unfortunately!)

I stopped the electrolysis on my upper lip so actually only ended up having one session on it which is annoying but I didn’t want to risk it. It did take a while for the hyperpigmentation clear completely and I feel like adding more to it would have been hard to hide with make up. I was more self conscious about the hyperpigmentation than the hairs. I kept going on my chin because I can’t cope with how much hair I get in that area.

Hi Mike,
I did electrolysis in 10 May I have these dots till now, when i saw this video u shared i think this is my situation but I’m so upset and scared to stay like that, it’s also some of them look like a hole is that normal too?

Unfortunately, Michael passed away in December. He wont see your message.I have every confidence in your skin resolving completely, and every reason to believe that Michael would have told you the same.

Oh sorry for that I didn’t know :cry::pray:t3:, so feel confident it’s only need time? Is this situation gonna take a year to heal? And do i have to use any cream?

I dont recommend any creams for healing post-electrolysis. The videos should have told you that the healing is takling place beneath the surface of the skin. Simply put the benefit of the cream cannot get there. At most, most creams and ointments offer a vehicle for contamination of the electrolysis site which is counter to the healing process and can serve to cause infections and other issues.You are far better off to use, at most, some refridgerated aloe IMMEDIATELY after treatment, and thereafter plain water and keep the area as undisturbed as possible and clean as posssible. Please dont use creams,facial scrubs, or soaps containing heavy dyes or perfumes.
Healing takes place over12-18 months. Most of this, is not visible to you. Your worst time, appearance wise, is 1-3 months from treatment and this is usually the time when we see these questions from new electrolysis recipients. After that, it becomes apparent and they arenot so nervous about their treatments… Try to relax. All will be well. Also if you dont mind, please dont add your issue onto another peosters thread. It tends to confuse the original issue.

1 Like

I agree with everything Seana has to say about this issue.

1 Like

Thank you for t
Oh, my electrolysis told me to use Mebo cream, Panthenol, and Fucidin immediately!
Is that happened to my skin because of the cream??
I’m sorry I posted here i can delete my posts.