Madame Boom-Boom's Electrolysis Salon

Early on, a few leaders of the AEA used to call me “you laser-lover!” It was, of course, in jest; but all new technology excites me — I want to learn more and I reject nothing. Indeed, laser has found it’s place, but it has also done something terrific for the electrology profession.

Over the years, there was a distinct “flakiness” about electrology. Hair removal was something to be ashamed of, and many operators were less than “above board.” Electrologists operated in tiny rooms in hair salons (or hotel rooms) and training was often abysmal. There actually was an office in my town called: “Madame Chi Chi Electrolysis Salon.” Can you believe it?

The American Electrology Association (especially under the direction of Teri Perticca) really changed things and moved us light-years ahead. However, laser and the medical interest in hair removal, really “blasted” electrology out-of-the-closet. Public exposure, including this amazing forum, has been terrific for our profession and for the public. Everything has gotten better — and it has mostly been because of laser!

I’m still a promoter of electrologists finding their place in a medical setting: a doctor’s office or medical spa. There are benefits, working in such a setting, that can completely transform the direction of our profession and bring us (finally) into the 21st Century. And that’s what I’ll be working on for the next few years — God willing.

But laser hair removal? Only benefits for electrology!

Agreed :slight_smile:

If you have the time, check out our laser FAQs.

:yeahthat: :trinityrock: :goldstars:

Dog gone it! The smileys didn’t work!

I am very thankful that laser is a modality choice for the hairy. It has helped many, but with that good news, my electrology practice thrives six days a week. I work long hours because electrolysis is the net that partial laser hair reduction cases and induced hair stimulation cases fall into when those laser diminishing returns take hold at some point. Even 90% success cases may require the help of a skilled electrologist to bring it to the 100% mark. Lastly, there are a lot of hairy people that desire hair removal, but their hair is too fine or too light. Who ya gonna call for that situation?? As always, any Great Madame Boom-Boom electrologist!!!

A word about medical office settings: I have worked in two different doctor’s offices for several years only to discover that I eventually needed to be totally on my own. For liability and privacy reasons, my work hours were limited in those physician offices. I had to work during business hours, which excluded evenings, Saturday afternoons and Sundays. Then I got my Wednesday afternoons cut. I liked the medical set up I had, but I like my freedom better. Splitting from the medical office means I can see people whenever I want and that serves the lives of my busy clients well. I like the idea of a medical office or medical spa, but this doesn’t give me enough flexibility to serve my clients the way I want to.

I understand the concept of this form:

The doctors would be auxiliary of the electrologists. And not upside-down, the electrologists to the service of the doctors. Certainly, exceptions exist, the syndrome Rokitansky-Küster-Hauser for example, or in cases like Urethroplasty, GRS, Pilonidal Sinus.

The idea is:

Anesthesia (with doctor) + electrologist incompetent = 0
Competent Electrologist + Anesthesia = guaranteed success.
Competent Electrologist (without doctor) = guaranteed success.

So the key piece of the equation is: COMPETENT ELECTROLOGIST.

[quote=“dfahey”]

I like the idea of a medical office or medical spa, but this doesn’t give me enough flexibility to serve my clients the way I want to.[/quote]

I can’t imagine working for a physician. My income and freedom would be affected, I would think. I have a good relationship with several physicians, including a dermatologist, who refer to me. The referrals work both ways…

Competent electrologist! Yes!

Yes,indeed your income and freedom would be affected unless you could negotiate a good deal with the physician who hopefully happens to be your sister!

It would be good if doctors did not look at partnering with us as if a Witch Doctor were presenting him a card saying, “Don’t forget to send any demonic possessions and hex business my way.”

As for working in a doctor’s office, I would only do that in a limited fashion. I might make myself available a few days a week in the doctor’s office for those clients who might need out co-operation, or those patients of the medical practice who feel more comfortable with the first meeting being there, but eventually, most would wind up back at my office, on non doctor’s office days.

I certainly would not want the US to go all French on us and mandate that electrolysis could only be performed in a doctor’s office, “under a doctor’s supervision”.

And I neither. I have seen to less than 30 cm of distance how it is the “Electrolysis” done by a French electrologist (under a doctor´s supervision): If I want to remember, I vomit.

This is inadmissible. Except, naturally, if the governments want to make eliminate few electrologists that remain still.

And then I wonder: who would supervise the doctors?

It would finally bring us back into the 19th century - financially.
In the eyes of physicians we would be no adequate partners but actually inferior to their assistants who at least have a medical profession.

Here in Germany a few dermatologists are rediscovering electrology. How? Give their assistants a quick and dirty introduction and let them make their mistakes on the client’s skin. Of course the assistance people pav to do this not in a dedicated manner but in addition to their other tasks. But this maximizes the income of those physicians.

Last year i tried to set up a cooperation with a dermatologist. Of course my hourly rate needs to be at least 60 EUR - the absolute lower limit if you are self employed and have to live from Your income alone. The physician felt inquired to charge at least twice as much from the client in order to earn enough money from that service - to much to be affordable

Beate

PS: this definitely means that i am willing to cooperate with physicians - at eye level, and as a self employed entrepreneur who is giving the physician part of her time in a consulting role. Nothing below this.

Honestly, physicians are too busy taking care of common ailments, some serious and some not so serious, to even entertain the idea of making money off an electrologist. They know that an extra room used for hair removal could not possibly generate more income than seeing patients every 15 minutes, so it is not a deal they seek to seal. Laser is the money maker. Electrologists know that the best way to maximize their income is to be a sole proprietor and in turn, having total freedom over scheduling to work from 7am to 10pm one day and then taking the next day off to do what you want to do, becomes very satisfying.

In my case, there were no physicians seeking my services so they could get more money. I sought out that environment to build my client base and it did work. The doctors were very nice to me, but barely paid attention to my role as hair remover because they were practicing medicine, working at a very fast pace trying to do their job.

It’s better to be on your own in a safe, private and clean place with doctors referring clients to you.

http://www.aad.org/scientificsessions/am2011/SessionDetails.aspx?id=13471

This dermatologist presented at the American Academy of Dermatology recently ELECTROLYSIS: WHEN LASER ISN’T THE ANSWER

Perhaps we will be seeing more of this!

I would have titled this conference of another form:

ELECTROLYSIS: YESTERDAY, TODAY and TOMORROW, ALWAYS HAS BEEN, IS and WILL BE the ANSWER.

I always knew that electrolysis would be like the bird phoenix.
A bird that re-arose from his ashes more powerful than never.

You are a poet electrologist, Josefa.

Looks like they don’t accept members that don’t fit into their outlined categories? I could not view the handout since I am not a member. I’m not willing to pay the cost of admission. Those member dues are steep, but I get the general idea from the title of the presentation. The AEA recently sent out an example of a nice form letter that we could send to physicians who may or may not understand the limitations of laser hair reduction. I really liked the wording, so thanks to whoever wrote that and may send that to a couple physicians if things slow down a bit!