Lowell, MA LaserCare Center

Has anyone been to the LaserCare Center in Lowell, MA? I’m trying to find a reputable laser place in the MA or NH area.
Ths is their website.

If no one’s been there, can someone recommend a different place? Specifically for male facial hair removal.

please read the LHR section of this forum. Run a search for facial male hair removal as well so you have an idea of what to expect. This is a difficult area and you need to know what your expectations should be. also, try using the search feature to find previous posts from people in your area.

Try a center in NH which has strict regulations on laser hair removal (A physician must be on staff and a PA or physician must perform procedures) versus in MA you can buy a machine and operate out of your garage.

I would recommend NH LaserCare Centre’ in Portsmouth NH . They have an Ivy League Educated Doctor, the location is convenient easy to get to with plenty of parking and best of all THEY ARE LESS EXPENSIVE than most places and there is a 40% off SALE going on for laser hair removal check the website… So I see it as a win win…

PS if anyone wants to help me out with their refer a friend program I can get 20% off (and so can you) after the sale ends.

having an MD perform your treatments has very little to do with how effective they are going to be. the clinics that do best treatments are those that focus on hair removal exclusively and that use good lasers. don’t be tricked by discounts. read the FAQs and do your research first. most of the time you can find similar or even cheaper prices without any “deals” because prices vary so much based on absolutely nothing.

Out of the two places mentioned, I would lean strongly towards the first one since it’s a person performing both laser and electrolysis (so very knowledgeable on hair removal in general) and using one of the best machines, GentleLASE. The clinic in NH in the latter post uses an IPL, which isn’t the best option for hair removal purposes.

Speaking from experience, I do not see why you are so against IPL it was non invasive, was not painful, did not require any anesthesia, and was very effective. (Also the clinic in NH does laser as well and does specialize in Laser Hair Removal, and their prices were already on the low end based on when I shopped around to get the best deal and with the discount they were even lower).

The benefit of having a doctor on staff is if you have adverse side effects and need some kind of prescription or if you have something questionable going on with your skin. A facility with a doctor is also insured as a medical facility and brings a level of legitimacy and gurantees a type of standard. In MA anyone can buy a machine and perform laser or IPL hair removal , my next door neighbor did.

I WOULD NOT MAKE A DECISION BASED ON A WEBSITE because it can be very misleading. That is why consultations are in order.

And GentleLASE is the machine with the best marketing unless you have tried every machine out there and did side by side tests of their efficacy it is not accurate to label one as the “best”. The supposedly inferior machine in NH did a fantastic job on my legs, they had great pricing and a very relaxing spa like atmosphere. I do not know how you could figure out something like that from a website.

I DO AGREE that research and side by side final pricing is in order. Go for a consultation see the facility for yourself you do not want to end up in a shady establishment. As for pricing just do the math, discounts can be your friend just be weary of “Permanent Discounts” And do not be fooled by marketing hype of “better” or “worse”. Laser Manufacturers and IPL Manufacturers all claim they are the best but it is results that matter. A legitimate facility will do a test patch for you so that you can see if it is effective or not and to check how your skin will react.

Although I was never at the clinic in MA and do not care to judge based on a website alone, I would recommend the one in NH based on a positive experience. If you disagree visit them yourself, the consultation is free so what do you have to lose?

How long ago was the last treatment on your legs, grl4laser? How many treatments did you have and how far apart were they spaced? Total cost? Anything else you can add about your experience would be great.

Thanks,

Dee

1. there were 2 posts about this clinic in one day and never before and never again, under 2 different screennames. to me, that is suspicious, for one. Also, you cannot judge effectiveness from one treatment. I’m curious to know how you are coming to the conclusion that it was effective. i would say it is very hard to tell effectiveness from one treatment. and i would also say that if your treatment was painless, i find it very doubtful that it was very effective. laser hair removal is not a magic painless treatment when it works in the long run.

2. it is a fact, based on studies, not an opinion, that true lasers produce better hair removal results than IPLs given knowledgeable operators. Most IPLs are not made for hair removal specifically while true hair removal lasers are. If you read posts by professionals who have used many of the various machines on the market if only on this forum alone, you will also come to this conclusion.

3. GentleLASE does not have the best marketing whatsoever. I’m not sure where you got that. It’s actually somewhat difficult to find a clinic that uses it because it’s limited to very light skin types and is expensive. It is IPLs that in fact have lots of (false) marketing hype because the majority of spas use them (and they advertise a lot), usually because IPLs are cheaper machines and can perform many various procedures besides hair removal (and hair removal is more of an afterthought in them). Btw, I personally don’t have to try every machine out there. That is what’s helpful about these forums and studies. It’s already been established by studies and professionals who’ve tried numerous machines over the last 10 years that alexandrite lasers are best for hair removal on light skin.

4. there are a few IPLs which are not bad for hair removal, but the one this particular clinic uses is not one of them.

5. actually, in addition to unbiased studies, this website and other forums/websites with contributing professionals from all across the country who are not looking to make money off of you are probably some of the most unbiased sources you can find to figure out what actually works best. everything else is marketing like you said, from people who are selling you treatments. many of the “free consultations” also end up being sales pitches. i think you’re just not analyzing deeply enough at this point about who is unbiased when doing your research. i sincerely hope you do so that you can get the best results for your money.

I have to agree with LAgirl here. The odds that any one of the practitioners on this board will ever see the person who is taking their advice is Sooooooo slim.

If any of us were living off what me made from people who go from being posters to our personal customers, we would be living in our parents’ basements, and working out of the garage. :grin:

The info on IPLs is very well established from the personal experiences of many people, both professionals, and consumers alike.

Re: lagirl

Sorry I meant to reply but lost my password and the website would not let me recover it… then I completely forgot, I am not a frequent blogger by any means.
I was only using one screenname by the way where did you get two??? This one is the second but I am making it obvious since I cant log in to the old one.

I had a minute so… Just to give you guys some followup 6 treatments (one legs/three underarms with their new machine) and my legs and underarms now look fabulous (other than a couple of strays no hair). The one they have now is definitely better than the first one but that one worked too so you were right in some ways about that but when a friend of mine and I compared results they were similar and she had yag laser. So I would say The newest one was better than hers the first one was not. Also a note on your free consultations point, I agree but not in this case, they just looked at my medical history and there was no sales pressure, but I have gotten trapped by medspa sales girls in boston when all I wanted was a facial so I can see that. If I sounded like an infomercial I just wanted to get a referral so I could get another area done at a discount… I got a guy friend to do his back so I am all set.

I am not trying to compete with the pros here for being your advice guide for where to go for laser nor am I saying I am an expert but I just want to say I am happy with where I went and my results and I dont think anyone can argue with that. I also went back and checked what I paid (since you guys brought up some good points about price)with other places around and at about $80 a session for under arms and $180 a session for legs (I think I paid about that its been a while) I got a good deal… prices change check on that yourselves) I still think you should check a place out even if you just drive by…

If I dont reply if you ask me something its because I dont blog a lot… I have not been on my myspace in a year so that should give you a time line there…

I am surprised that so many do not understand what goes on when some woman grows hair in the wrong places. The ONLY thing that makes this hair grow is TOO MUCH MALE HORMONE. However, there are a number of things that cause this extra male hormone and a number of them are extremely serious. Hair can be an early symptom of everything from an androgen secreting tumor, cancer, hyperplastic endometrium (overgrowth of uterine lining which can be a precancerous condition), hyperplastic adrenals (adrenal overgrowth), pituitary adenoma some medications (some birth control pills and other medication), some food supplements, some OTC drugs (over the counter medications) and genetics (seen mostly in Mediterranean people, Latinos, and virtually all darker complected people.

If you have hair removed WITHOUT finding the cause for this hair, you are bound to have more hair regardless of the mode used to rid yourself of hair. Not necessarily because the job was done improperly but due to the fact the cause was not treated and the patient had not yet reached her full complement of hair. You probably noticed your own hair did not grow in all in the same day. It took months. If you are going to grow 2000 new hairs they will not all grow in at the same time. Therefore, if you remove them after 1000 grow in you will still grow the additional 1000 that were not treated and they might even spread to new areas that did not grow hair before. You cannot treat them until you can see them. If there is a medical problem that gets treated you MAY not grow the other 1000 hairs. Most patients do not wait to find out. They rather blame the laser operator when it has nothing to do with the operator.

As for the difference between a yag laser and any other laser… All lasers work on the basis of the color of the laser light vs the color of the target (your hair and skin), the depth of the laser penetration, thickness of the skin, amount of time the target is exposed to the laser, and lastly the temperature reached at the target (is it hot enough to vaporize the papilla matrix without causing too much damage to other tissue. The papilla matrix is the ONLY SOURCE of new hair, therefore, vaporizing hair does not mean the papilla was reached. Hair itself is comprised of protein that used to be live cells and can not reproduce as it is DEAD. Hair is made of the residue of cells that were produced in the matrix where there is a blood supply and then EXPELLED from the papilla where they die from lack of nutrition, dehydrate and shrink as these dead cells are pushed upward and outward into the bulge, through the follicle. The hair bulb can vaporize and blood with its makeup of protein and water plus other “stuff” coagulates. Instantaneous “blood coagulation” means NO BLEEDING. Lased hair is vaporized. The effectiveness does not hinge on whether it is a yag laser or another type as long as it is the RIGHT TYPE for the situation with an EXPERIENCED operator who had PROPER TRAINING. If any of these prerequisites are missing the results are doomed to failure.

Is there anyone here that has anything to add to this explanation?" Please let me know.

Haven’t you LEARNED ANYTHING HERE? A doctor who does NOT do any laser hair removal is merely looking for EXTRA INCOME. If they allow their name to be used to get patients it is a “marketing PLOY” to make patients believe they are getting a doctor who will do the work but this is NOT TRUE. If the doc lets his/her name be used this way he/she is ultimately liable FOR THE WORK OF THOSE WHO USE HIS/HER NAME. The one with the highest training is the one who gets sued. Lawyers like this because docs are insured with BIG policies. The “technician” is not licensed to do surgery but the doc is, unless your state issues licenses to laser operators. Lasers are SURGERY because FDA definition of surgery is… “any procedure that alters the structure and/or function of tissue is surgery.” FDA regulations state, “lasers are a prescription device that can not be sold to or operated by anyone other than those licensed to use them within the state where they practice.”

This means, since there already exists a FEDERAL REGULATION regarding use of lasers for hair removal and other procedures on the skin, and ALL MALPRACTICE INSURANCE POLICIES INCLUDE WORDING THAT STATES (to paraphrase them), “if ANY STATE, COUNTY, OR LOCAL LAWS DO NOT ISSUE LICENSES TO OPERATE LASERS”. they are EXCLUDED from coverage.

IN ADDITION, my agent was MARINE INSURANCE selling FIREMANS’ FUND BEAUTICIANS PROFESSIONAL LIABILITY COVERAGE (possibly the largest coverer of this type of insurance). The last page on the inside cover of the policy states, EXCLUSIONS: “this policy does not cover bodily injury or property damage arising out of the removal or attempted removal of hair by x-rays, laser or other ionizing technique: and/or, the removal or attempted removal of hair by any photocoagulation technique.”(photo method means ANY MODALITY THAT USES ENERGY FROM ALL LIGHT METHODS (flash lamps etc.) This specifically eliminates laser no matter what the state allows unless there is a license to do this. "THIS MEANS ALL ELECTROLOGISTS AND ALLIED HEALTH PROFESSIONALS WITH PROFESSIONAL MALPRACTICE INSURANCE FOR THEIR PREVIOUS PROCEDURES ARE NOT LICENSED TO USE LASERS, CONSEQUENTLY, THEIR MALPRACTICE INSURANCE DOES NOT COVER USE OF LASERS. ALL COMPANIES USE SIMILAR WORDING. There are numerous other exclusions, however, I did not perform any of them. Insurance companies NEVER LOSE. We do.

NUMEROUS LASER OPERATORS HAVE BEEN SUED BUT NO LAWYER IS WILLING TO TAKE THE CASE AS IT IS A LOSER. INSURANCE COMPANIES REFUSE TO ISSUE THIS TYPE OF POLICY BECAUSE THE AMOUNTS ARE LARGE AND INCREASING, CONSEQUENTLY, THEY ARE FINDING IT TOO EXPENSIVE TO DEFEND. THEY DO NOT LIKE TO TAKE RISKS. THEY COVER OUR RISKS BUT NOT IF IT COULD POSSIBLY COST THEM MONEY.

CHECK YOUR POLICY…PLEASE . CYA (COVER YOUR A_S). Good luck.

Dear grl4laser,

I didn’t quite see how the rant from lefty above relates to what you said. :/, but oh well it happens at least twice a week on average.

I have witnessed good IPL and laser treatments, but laser seemed to have a better track record. For both modalities, I was right in there doing electrolysis for those that were not satisfied with with the percentage of reduction they received.

Thanks for your report and I’m happy for your great results.

Dee

grl4laser - You didn’t answer the most important question: how long has it been since your treamtents? First, I have to note that you didn’t have enough treatments to results in the type of outcome you’re describeing, with any machine good or bad. So that seems odd to me. Second, no one here says that IPLs don’t work. Many do. However, we are here to provide people with the information on how to get the BEST treatments. And IPLs cannot do this. This is due to the way lasers and IPLs function and affect hair. It has nothing to do with marketing (I don’t know where you got anything about GentleLASE having the best marketing - do you have any proof of this? Because I have never noticed that they do. Marketing to consumers is done by chain clinics without any mention of specific machines, not laser manufacturers, and even if there was marketing to clinics, you wouldn’t have heard of it as a consumer. And most chain clinics use IPLs and other not so effective true lasers anyway).