Looking to do it at home

Yes, that is more in line with what I thought I was purchasing when I bought the thing that I had, which turned out to have so much plastic that it would break and keep you buying more every now and then.

Well, if that is what you are looking for, I’d advise purchasing them, because what I had in mind to make would be similar or less professional-looking, and probably more expensive. Plus you would be able to get it sooner thru that link.

On another note, I have my machinist manufacturing two SS hand-held probes. They are only .75" in diameter, but hopefully that will work ok. I should be able to get one in the mail to you around Xmas, pending no issues with more important jobs slowing our work down.

Is this the only type of electrode you pros use?

What about flexible, conductive rubber? Would that work? Oh, not for you pros, due to autoclave. Darn!

And what about distance from the negative electrode? Is closer better, or does it matter? I was thinking about a small steel disc a patient could sit on, or lay an arm on. But from thigh to face may be a stretch for conductivity, dunno.

Actually, we DO use flexible conductive Rubber. Those are supposed to be used inside shaped sponges. One can clean the sponges, but to be really anal about not having people come in contact with something that someone else has touched, one would have to have enough sponges to use a different one with every client. It is possible, but most electrologists won’t do it. It is easier to sanatize one probe/pole in between clients, or have 2 or more of them that are sterilized on a schedule in between uses.

Again, there is no rush on this. I don’t work as hard in the winter as the summers. As for the look of the alligator clip thingy… I would be more conscerned about it’s durability and sanitation than it’s looks, or speed of delivery. I don’t use the EKG tabs much anymore, but it would be nice to have that option again.

In answer to the other question, yes, one does like to have the inactive pole/probe placed as close to the work area as possible, (that is where the EKG tabs and the alligator clip on the red wire come in handy) but most people just make do with the person holding it in their hand, or resting it on some part of the body that won’t be moving about too much.

The idea about a disk or something relatively flat works well for laying down on, but keep in mind that you don’t want there to be too much increase of the surface area. During long appointments, the amount of hydrochloric acid that builds up at the inactive pole can leave a red mark on the softer skin like the rear end, or legs.

(One of my exotic dancer clients insisted on laying on the pole without moving it for a 6 hour appointment that covered everything from the waist down. Since we were using blend at her request, she was left with a big bright red imprint of the pole on her rear end. She told me that she got lots of extra tips from people at work who thought it was proof of her S&M activities. I guess she got a free treatment out of the deal LOL)

Ok, so I went to Dectro Santa Ana today, and came back with a wallet considerably heavier than when I left home. Yes, heavier, because I used my credit card, and that receipt was HEAVY! :wink:

As I mentioned in another thread, it was a very pleasant experience, some very nice folks there in Santa Ana. I came away with a regular probe, a short probe, a foot switch, some F2,3,4,5 needles, information about school, and several tips from the owner. Great guy, Jean-Louis!

But I am more undecided now about loupes. I tried on different powers, and while I like the size of the hairs under 4X, I found the smaller FOV/FD to be distracting. Also, that pair fit weirder on my head than the others of the same brand. In order to see properly, I needed to pick the earpieces up off my ears, kind of stuck higher to the side of my head. I believe it was the angle that the lenses were mounted to the frames that was throwing it off.

The 3X fit better, and I preferred the FOV of them. But I think this is something that would be easily overcome with preactice. I’m thinking it was just the newness that was an issue. Thoughts from those who use loupes? Was it harder at first, and more natural now?

I also looked thru a 3 & 5 diopter lamp, very nice, I definitely liked the FOV on those, but the magnification obviously wasn’t near as good.

So I am still undecided as to my magnification preference, and think I will look in Korea for this part of my equipment. Hopefully, it will be cheaper there, too!

Probably will be cheaper in South Korea.

I will tell you that getting quality magnification was the best thing I did early on, but I was a little panicked when I received my custom-fitted loupes. I couldn’t see a thing. It can take as long as three weeks for the brain and eyes to get it together. I talked to a technician shortly after I received them and he walked me through some proceedures and all was well. So a breaking in period might be needed for you until your brain and eyes coordinate. Those lamps never really worked well for me, but some electrologists use them without any problems.

Glad you had a nice experience at Dectro.

Dee made me realize that I had not shared my recent purchase with the good folks here. I am now the proud new owner of a Senior II epilator!! I should be receiving my new baby on 15 Dec.

The brain is very confused by the change that looking through magnification presents. In my case, my field of vision is reduced to 2 or 3 square inches, and my focal distance is about 14 to 18 inches away. This is VERY confusing to the brain at first. After all, moving your head back normally gives you a wider view, but in this case it would just make you lose focus. The brain must comphrehend that the 3 inches of skin it can see is NOT located an inch away from your nose.

Yes, it takes some getting used to.

I have had my microscope for months and still can’t use it for an hour at a time. The loupes were easier to use but no way are they as good (strong) as the microscope. The field of vision is smaller with the scope and I am still not really good at finding the small are I am working on but some day I will be as good as the legend James. If not maybe I will be just good at using my scope.

Use the Force Luke! :slight_smile:
First, sitting in a chair, or standing up, play the game where you close your eyes, hold your left arm out with your wrist bent sharply back towards your chest, and your finger pointing to your right. Now, keeping your eyes closed, you bring up your right hand, with the finger extended the same way and try to make them meet. The object is to “kiss” them together point to point. When you get better at doing this, you just transfer that talent to where you are working.

You first pick out the place you want to work. You then spread the skin, bring the stereo scope into focus, and then move your probe hand into the focal field of vision. Now treat the visible hairs in that space. (as long as they are all easily inside the treatable range of the treatment energy you have selected on the machine.)

I must have gotten too much fluoride in my water today, because I am just giving away all the secrets without any compensation.
:blush:

Flouride or not, you’re just a great guy James :slight_smile:

By the way, have you ever thought about opening an electrolysis school or taking on students to study with you? If you ever do, can I be your first student? :wink:

On top of that, if you want to teach and see a foriegn country, come to Korea, I’ll put you up, and even teach you to speak and eat Korean!

Hmmmm, the Korean offer sound SWEET!
Of course, I would have to make a stop in Australia before making my way to a pit-stop in Hawaii, on my way back Home, Sweet, Home.

As for school/teaching. I got a certificate for doing that, but the realities of setting up a school, where those completing a course could work in any state in the union are enough to leave a guy like me saying, “If someone else did the paperwork, I might show up to do the teaching.”

Yes, I have looked into it, but at the moment, the only thing I would be up for is a more informal apprentiship program leading to a CPE for those who would be working in non-licensed states. Depending on the state, one could later convert to holding a license, but that is another kettle of fish. I have helped a few people rattle the cages of some rather unco-operative licensing states.

I understand completely. I have spoken to Ron Davis about licensing in various states. Electrolysis seems to enjoy a more convoluted existence than most other medical professions requiring licensing.

I wonder what the rules would be, or how they might change, if a person did the work in the privacy of their own home? I mean, if I only do my wife, no one is the wiser, and no rules, right? But say word gets around about my ASTOUNDING success (thanks to HairTell), and others want some help? Because I am working on others, potentially for a profit, will I be required to obtain a license in that state?

Actually, most electrolysis licensing laws don’t have any teeth to them. Although one might get hassled if one were advertising in the yellow pages, it is the same thing as an unlicensed plumber doing work on people’s houses. He is not a criminal, but he can’t get insurance, and he can’t pull permits from the city. Can he still do work? He sure can. He can do work for anyone who wants to hire him, as long as he doesn’t represent himself as anything other than what he is.

The idea of an apprenticeship sounds interesting. I know another electrologist who started their career this way. I have been considering the Berkowits school for this winter/spring for the 350 hour program (so I can get my CPE in the fall) and have started to scape together the money. I only wish they offered the theory portion online as some do now to reduce the cost (downstate is an expensive place to stay, at least compared to upstate where I live.)

I just noticed that a post I tried to make previously never made it. Must be stuck somewhere in cyber space. Oh well…

I took my Senior II to Dectro, CA, and Jean-Louis gave 'er a thumbs up! No problems with the machine, it’s practically brand new with only 85 hours on it. Many thanks (once again) to the fine folks at Aesthetic Systems, Inc. for their help!

And good luck with getting the school launched. I know it will be a lot of hard work, but I wish you guys the best in the coming year!

Dave

The funny thing is, most used electrolysis machines ARE practically brand new.

The majority of the machines are purchased, and either sit idle and unused, or they do 100 hours or less and are set aside, sold years later, after sitting in a closet for years.

Any machine of mine has been put through its paces, and is sent back to the factory for a full once over before I sell it to someone else. (even then, I have not found that they needed anything done to the insides, except once I sent one in for a once over before going back to use it myself for another few years, and found that the Airline Baggage Gorrillas had managed to dislodge the printer system from its moorings inside the unit, and it had to be resoldered into place.)

I never really understood why most people feel the need to buy a new machine from the start, when most used machines would be the equivilant of buying an unsold 2003 model car in 2009, where all the mileage was test drive mileage.

Interesting, I wonder why that is. I can see a Vector ending up in a closet after a few hours of use, but a pro machine? I mean, given what a new pro machine costs, certainly a major purchase, why would someone buy it but then not use it?

It makes me wonder, is it because it is very difficult to get a new electrology practice off the ground and get customers to use it on? :frowning:

No.
It is because the process of learning how to use it is not like falling off a log.
It is also because many of the people who become the owners of the units, did not actually pay for them with money they had to toil many long hours for.
Think about it.
The kid who gets a Gibson Les Paul for his birthday, more likely hangs it on the wall and practices little. The kid who must mow lawns or baby sit hoards of poorly behaved children to get the $2,000 to 5,000 to get that Les Paul will practice until their fingers bleed. Same difference.

Ok, so it looks like the seller I bought my Bono book from is a dud. I bought it from briggsbooks@cs.com using biblio.com, and not only do I not have my book, but I have received no response from the seller. Biblio is offering them 24 more hours to respond, and if they don’t, I will get a refund.

Any other recommendations on where to buy the book from?