Longer term leg hair removal

I second Toni’s suggestion to Jon re: using a clipper instead of completely shaving. I use a Wahl hair clipper with the 3/8" (#3) attachment for my legs, the 1/4" (#2) for my arms and the 1/2" (#4) everywhere else.

I am light skinned with dark brown hair so it doesn’t look like I’ve completely shaved - I have hair, just not a thick growth. It looks very natural and feels great - I doubt anyone else would even notice the difference, but I do and I like it!

Also, you don’t have to do it everyday and you don’t get the itchies like you do with shaving… :smile:

Patrick

Patrick

Your right about people not noticing. As you know I shave mine smooth, which is a step further. When I first started doing it I thought people would notice immediatly as I always wear shorts in my off time. Nobody even looked twice, and actually my family took 3 days before anybody even saw (my folks stay close to my house and we visit often). When I started looking around, I noticed how many guys here shave their legs and now I’m really comfortable with it.

For those who do shave I found a good tip for the itchy part. After shaving rub in a simple aqueous cream which you can get from any pharmacy. Don’t worry about branding or anything, see if they have an “in house” cream like my pharmacy has. The pharmicist reccomended I try theirs, and now there is no itching at all and it is better for your skin. Its really cheap and over here you can get it in 1 liter tubs for about $1. I tried menthol and Camphor based creams, but they tended to make my legs feel greasy, and produced red irritated shaving bumps. Ask for a hypoallergenic aqueous cream. There is no greasy feel at all and the skin looks smoother and healthier.

Stuart

I used to use clippers to trim the leg hair and it did give ok results. A friend of mine who was a competetive bodybuilder recommended that I just try going clean shaven. Well, I tried it and liked it. It is a lot more comfortable and it really makes my muscles look bigger. It’s just like they say, once you go smooth you’ll never want to go back.

I use Jergens Naturally Smooth shave minimizing moisturizer. Whether it will inhibit hair growth I don’t know, but it is a good moisturizer, not too greasy and makes the skin feel smoother.

RJC2001

Hi

I am beginning to get leg hair removal under final control now (at least by shaving). Summer is coming here now, so humidity has increased and I have found applying moisturising cream evey time I shave also causes red bumps. Maybe the skin becomes to soft and the hairs are ingrown. Anyway every 3rd day works now for the cream. I tried other shavers, but none is any faster than my Phillips 3 head floating rotary. These electric razors are really good at contours (like the face), but are very good round the knees which I find the most time consuming. I would suggest others try this type of razor, even if the brand is called something else where you stay. This is not an advert, but just a suggestion for something that might help save time.

Stuart

Thanks for the great tips, Stuart! :smile:

Hi Andrea

It’s a pleasure.

Thanks

Stuart, since you are a rotary shaver fan, you may want to try the version that dispenses Nivea moistuizer as you shave. In the Norelco line it is called the Advantage. I’m note sure what Philips calls it. They may call it the Philishave. In climates with high humidity that may work better.

That’s the one negative with electrics. The skin must be completely dry or you won’t get a good shave at all. An exception would be a wet/dry electric like the Panasonic Linear or the Advantage. In a high humidity setting with no air conditioning, a blade will work much, much better. I always have the a/c on in warm weather so it is not usually a problem.

On bony or irregular areas, I find that a blade works best, it will bend and follow the contours of the
skin. The Braun does a respectable job on knees but the blade is better. The Braun is close enough to a good blade though that the convenience makes it preferable. Having to mess around with shaving lotions and gels is a minus of using a blade. I find the time element to be about the same between a blade and the Braun. If you only make one pass over an area the Braun would be quicker but you may miss some hairs. With a rotary, I would think several passes would be required to clear an area.

One thing the Braun and Norelco/ Philips have in commen is that the foils and rotary heads are much more durable than on other brands. That lowers the long term cost considerably.

RJC2001

Hi RJC

Once again thanks for your tips. I can’t find any electric brand here that dispenses a shaving product while shaving. I did try a blade, but unfortunatnaly I ended up nicking and cutting myself quite a bit. I don’t have the dexterity women have here, so I gave up blades and stuck to electric razors. The Phillips rotary is fast on the knees and face which I tend to do first. The “bony” areas which I assume are the shins, are quite quick with my razor as a result of the floating action of the heads. I have tried and accepted one of your suggestions to shave daily to avoid stubble. This has also made things faster. Please let me know if anything you find helps make things easier.

Stuart

You’re welcome.

RJC2001

Just a quick comment: Norelco is a divison of Philips. As RJC2001 points out, the Norelco Advantage line has lotion-dispensing razors.

I’m not aware of any razors marketed under the Philips brand name with lotion dispensing.

There a Philips version as well. It’s called Cool Skin and it’s availible with 2 or 3 shaver heads. An example is found at: http://www2.consumer.philips.com/global/b2c/dap/catalog/subcategory.jhtml?divId=1&groupId=HisBody&catId=CoolSkin&subCatId=CoolSkin3HeadShavers

Happy shaving !
…and enjoy the summer, ours is ending now :frowning:

Thanks for that report, DKGirl! HairTell readers cover all the bases! :grin:

Hi

One more thing - It’s good to keep up the shaving if you use an electric razor. As they say in their manuals, the skin can take several weeks to get used to the action of the razor. I kept up all winter, even though not every day, and now I can see the benefit :smile: . Most of my (male) friends that shave for sports reasons, are suffering from bumps, cuts and everything else. I am fine and concentrating on a good tan on my legs and chest. Stopping and starting does not really work, so I would reccomend to the guys to stay with it as long as you chose, without interruption.

Regards
Stuart

Very true, Stuart. Every razor, whether electric or manual, requires a time for the skin to get acclimated.

One friend of mine (A guy), recently started a program of home hair removal. He is burning off hairs (leg)using a thermal device similar to a soldering iron (ouch). The claims from the manufacturer are that the high intensity heat is identical to laser. He now has horrible lesions on the legs and white spots where the hair is gone. Is this in any way similar to laser? I have seen some pics from another member showing bad laser burns similar to these. I would also tolerate the pain and lesions if I am sure there would be no permanent scarring from this method. Is thermal removal a feasable option? From what I have seen I don’t think I would do this right now, but laser is also a possible problem. Does laser leave small white spots permanently? For now shaving still seems best for me (and safe)! I would appreciate any informed input here.
Thanks
Stuart

Laser would definitely fall into the category of “don’t try this at home.” Also, laser does not work on light colored hair, at least with present technology.

RJC2001

Hi RJC

I agree. Also I think from what I have seen with the “thermal” technique people should avoid this. Mark (my friend who tried this) has had to see a doctor as a result of the scars becoming septic. He has quite dark hair and I said he should see a good laser consultant and rather spend his money wisely than with rubbish kit like the thermal device (his wife agreed with this for sure!). I will still stay with shaving, as it costs almost nothing, is pain free and once you have found the right razor is very quick anyway.

Stuart

Stuart, devices like the one your friend has described are illegal for home use here. I’d agree that it’s important to be careful with any device capable of causing burns-- I’d tell him to go to a pro.

Stuart, I agree. To my way of thinking laser (maybe IPL), shaving and electrolysis are the best hair removal methods. Waxing and epilators would be OK but I would be worried about ingrown hairs. That depends on the inidividual though.

Laser is probably the most practical method for long-term leg hair removal, but even that would take a long time. I would bet that it would take more than one treatment session to do the entire legs once unless a couple of hours could be reserved.

I’ll stick with shaving for now unless they can come up with a faster, cheaper laser. Right now it would just take too much time and be too expensive. The rates for Lightsheer laser treatment went up significantly this summer.

RJC2001

Hi Andrea and RJC

Thanks for your replies- I also think Mark was nuts doing what he did, but again cost always is an issue and people all over the place will do things to save money. As a matter of interest I would like to ask how much lazer for full legs costs in the US. I got a local quote from a good proffessional clinic recently for the equivilent of US$ 350.00 per session. Does this compare internationally??

Regards
Stuart