Long term waxing

Hey All!

This is my first post on the site! I will try not to bore you with any long history about me and my hair but I just wondered does waxing make the hair weaker and finer? (obviously this is in the long term). It currently is quite thick and coarse but do get it waxed quite often (every month) and the women who does it says that it is getting finer (but I am not sure if she is just saying something I want to hear and is just being nice)
If this is not the case does any method (which are not the uber expensive ones and ones that involves lasers) actually weaken the hair and make it more fine?

Thanks

When you wax regularly, about every 4 - 6 weeks, you will notice that hairs are finer however, should you stop waxing for a few months, you may see the following:

even thicker, more prominent hair on the face than what you started with although you might notice fewer hairs on the eyebrows

finer hairs on the legs and arms – but these hair follicles become less active in your 30’s even without doing anything

overall, the torso hair looks the same as before you started waxing

So, the above is what you will probably see after you stop your waxing routing.

Is waxing worth it? Personally, if laser provides you with temporary hair removal, then you might as well spend a lot less money on temporary hair removal waxing instead of temporary hair removal laser.

Good luck!

My cousin started to wax her upper lip and chin 10 years ago. her hairs were black but fine. Now she has stubble that pretty much resemles a man`s beard and moustache.
Waxing will not make your hair finer or go away eventually. It will just strengthen the root, and bloodflow to the hair, making it stronger and harder to remove.

The only places repeated plucking will make hair thinner and weaker and perhaps go away are eyebrows and possibly legs, due to the fact that scar tissue can build up and overtake the follicle space in these shallow hair growth areas. There is no chance of that happening in the upper lip, or any place else on the face for that matter. The follicles are too deep and the angles of growth much too high.

Well thanks for everyones input. I am feeling somewhat wiser when it comes to hair!

I think Arlene is most on point. It varies. You didn’t mention whether you’re male or female. What CAN happen really depends on the body area, whether you’re male or female, what the original cause of the growth is, etc. What sanny described can be simply a result of hormonal imbalance, especially considering the body area she’s talking about on that woman.

What area are you asking about? What type of hair do you have there?

I would disagree with Arlene’s inference that Laser will not do much more than waxing (or have I misunderstood? in which case I apologise)and just be a lot more expensive. As someone who used to have very hairy legs and now never looks at them because i don’t have to spend 24/7 worrying about them, constantly checking and hiding them. For me laser has been a god send and am still hair free after a number of years and yes if the hair does eventually come back the angst,time and money saved on waxing in the interim will have been worth every penny and I will do it all over again. Years of constant silky hair free legs V a couple of weeks post wax and then waiting for it grow back long enough no contest.

If its the face then I can’t comment not sure I would use laser on my face - for fear of it going wrong. Then as a punter I would opt for threading/electrolysis (whilst aware of the their problems as well).

As we have said in many other places on the site. Leg hair will disappear over time as you age even if you do nothing to them just because you circulation reduces as you age. The follicles are so shallow that tiling off enough skin while shaving can give you permanent hair removal on legs. Burning yourself while waxing can give you permanent hair removal on legs. Anything that would remove that layer of skin and or replace it with scar tissue would give one permanent hair removal on legs and eyebrows.

Faces, on the other hand, are a very different story. The follicles are very deep, and very strong, and both Arlene and I have worked with many people who have had minimal results (it all grew back, it just lost pigment and turned white or clear). In those cases, the money spent on LASER would have been better spent on a good and fast electrologist. I have also had it happen that I have post-LASER clients who have had reduction on the face, but they are also in a place where they may have saved time in the chair, but not money, and most reported some negative treatment result during the treatments… all that and they still needed an electrologist to finish the job.

I recently had a client who I would call the best LASER face that I had seen. I don’t know how much hair this person had previously, but the reduction in thickness, and the change in colors rendered the cheeks very presentable. There was some burning on the chin, and lots of hair left around the mouth. Now the funny thing is, what people call successful LASER never seems to live up to what they consider successful electrolysis. This person who called the LASER work a success, was now having me clear out the places around the mouth where LASER obviously had not done the job, but then started having me nit pick the cheeks where one could argue that LASER had actually done what it promised, “Permanent, or Long-Term Hair Reduction”

We just shake our heads at the different measuring stick people use for the two procedures.

I just wanted to say that my cousin tested for hormonal imbalance. It wasnt the cause of her stubble. Its plain waxing issue.

I do apologise I should have been more specific! I am a man and I am talking about hair on my shoulders and back! Tis the bain of my life I tell you! (well more of an annoyance)

The answer is that waxing definitely won’t make it any finer. It can make it worse, or it can stay the same. There are no other permanent methods besides laser and electrolysis.

All fingerprints are SIMILAR but NO TWO ARE ALIKE. The same is true of hair depth and growth. If the skin were so shallow you would be able to see through it and follow the shaft down to the bulb. This is almost the case but in very few patients with exceptionally black hair and very white skin.

There is an article by a dermatologist who has an electrologist in his office in TEXAS. He points out that tweezing or waxing are virtually the same. One does one hair at a time and the other does a lot of hairs at once and both cause TRAUMA AT THE ROOT. Since neither is permanent one has to recognize that this treatment is repeated regularly, therefore, the erythema caused by all trauma shows there is INFLAMMATION at the site. This repetitive erythema (redness) is a symptom of inflammation caused by additional blood rushing to the area to speed healing of this traumatized tissue. After a while (different on each person) the mini scars at the site prevent hair from growing because NO HAIR GROWS ON SCAR TISSUE as scar tissue is NOT SKIN and has NO FOLLICLES.