long-term results

Hello
Can anyone give me advice on long-term results for laser treatment (male back) please. The local hospital here (Wales, UK) has an Alexandrite laser, but the doctor I saw reckoned even after three or four treatments all the hair would grow back after a year or two. Seems like lots of a expense/hassle for such a short-term gain. Is he just being overly cautious or is that about right?? Appreciate any feedback/comments.
Also anyone (Andrea) got anything to say on Plasmalite which is big in UK. Their claims (permanent, painless etc etc) seem too good to be true… but am willing to be happliy surprised!!

BTW - Brilliant site Andrea

You have heard it a million times. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is not true.

You would be correct in that the short term results don’t seem to merit the expense. In addition the negative possibilities are too high to risk, when permanent hair removal is simple to achieve when a good electrologist is near.

Laser isn’t out that long (compared to electrolysis). Laser is generally classified as permanent hair reduction. And it is said with repeated treatment, hair free can be achieved.

thanks for the kind words, andyg! You can read my PlasmaLite analysis here:

http://www.hairtell.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=43;t=000047

Sounds like the doctor is giving you realistic expectations. Laser can have a satisfactory result in many patients with light skin and dark hair, and it’s probably a good option for a large area lie the back. However, there are no guarantees, and complete permanent hair removal is highly unlikely. Having said that, many readers here have been very pleased with laser results on their back, and practitioner skill tops the list as reasons for good results.

Sounds like you have a pretty honest doctor, so I’d probably pursue more information from that possible option if I were you.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Can’t believe how confusing all this is. The doctor at local hospital wasn’t optimistic - even though I’ve fairly light skin and dark coarse hair. He also said the back was the most painful place on the body to have it done, which surprised me, so I’m not too confident about using a laser. (And if, as you say, practitioner skill is all important it sounds like my doctor isn’t either!!).

I’m trying the local electrolysis place next week to see what they say…I’m assuming (hoping) James when you say permanent you mean for life…

Out of curiosity I went along to the Plasmalite “clinic” (yeh right) which promised miracles… Turned out to be a double-glazing windows shop with a Plasmalite poster on the door! I didn’t stay long…

Just to say again Andrea what a great site this is. By the way, while I was surfing around it I came across that obnoxious Christmas message you received. What a prat that man was. I thought you were totally justified (and very restrained) in your response. I’m sure it won’t anyway, but please don’t let fools like him deter you from running this site just the way it is and helping so many people. It’s certainly worth a few quid for your cats! thanks again

PS - I work in a tv station and spotted this on the news wires this morning. may interest people… At least shaving is good for you apparently…

DAILY SHAVE `HELPS CUTS RISK OF STROKE’
By John Bingham, PA News
Men who do not need to shave every day are 70% more likely to suffer a stroke
than those who do, a 20-year study showed today.
The research carried out by Bristol University’s department of social medicine
and published in the American Journal of Epidemiology, examined facial hair
growth and coronary heart disease and strokes.
A sample of 2,438 men from Caerphilly, south Wales, were asked how often they
needed to shave.
Their susceptibility to heart disease and strokes was then monitored over a
20-year period.
While the study found that those who did not shave every day were also more
likely to smoke, less likely to be married and more likely to do manual work,
even after adjusting for these factors, they were 70% more likely to suffer
strokes and 30% more likely to die from any cause.
Professor Shah Ebrahim, who led the research, said: “The increased risk of
stroke did not disappear when we adjusted for possible other underlying
factors.”
He added: "The association between infrequent shaving and death is probably
due to underlying smoking and social factors, but a small hormonal effect may
also exist.
“However, the relation with stroke events remains unexplained by smoking or
social factors.”
end

051405 FEB 03

I’m glad I’ve been of help!

As far as criticism, I am certainly not above criticism and work hard to correct any mistakes I make. The only way a site like this can work is if everyone shares the way you have! We’ve been very lucky so far not to have to remove a single member or post. It’s a testament to what honesty and lack of censorship can achieve!

As far as people slamming me, I deal with these idiots all the time. Luckily, all the quacks and jerks hang out at heavily censored Kitty’s Consumer Beware site, which is great. It’s fantastic that these people who support electric tweezers and what-not have their own sad little place, far away from reasoned discussion about all hair removal methods.

Thanks for the article submission, too! I gave it its own topic.

I love our members! You guys all rock the house! :relaxed: