LMX, containing lidocaine - how much is too much?

I’ve made a new best friend in the form of an anaesthetic cream (LMX) with 4% lidocaine. We get on really well together but I don’t want to abuse our relationship.

Do you think it might be harmful if I empty all 5gms (containing 40mg lidocaine/1g cream) of it onto an area of my skin?

Hope everyones well.

The risk of poisoning increases with a high dose of a single type of substance. It is safer to combine the same amount in two different types of anesthetics used one twice.

Body weight and age of the person is a required to prescribe the right dose.

The deaths that have happened give us a clue. Don’t cover your entire legs and genital area with anesthetic, and then wrap it all up with plastic wrap and then spend 2 hours with it soaking in your skin.

Hi:

I think the problems happened with specially compounded topicals of a much higher concentration than either Emla or L-M-X applied over extremely large areas.

A 30 gm tube of Emla costs about 50 bucks, so unless you are independently wealthy you should probably only use a limited amount for one session. If anyone is buying the 5gm tubes they are probably paying more per gm than if they bought the larger 30gm tube.

Alicia

I am 9 and 3/4 stones in weight, and I am in my early 30s. Will 5gms put me in any danger?

Hi two:

I don’t think 5 mg is dangerous. I’ve used several times that before some sessions if I was covering a larger area.

The problems in the past have been with some of the specially compounded topicals which are much higher concentrations than these over the counter types.

Alicia

I second the motion. 5 mg is nowhere near dangerous. Even on mucus membrane tissue, the worst reaction you could have would be temporary constipation.

attention!!!

(Lidocaine 40 mg / 1 g cream)

5 gms is 200 mg.

In mucus area the maximum dose is 300 mg and the exposure time maximum 15/30 minutes.

thanx 4 the replies. Yes, by 5 gms I meant 5 grammes rather than 5 milligrammes. Maybe theres a difference in abbreviations across the pond.

I had very little idea about any deaths caused by lidocaine, as it is available so freely and with little warning. So I shall need to do some more research on it. I might try going on their website.

With 30min exposure I would have to arrive at the clinic early and apply it there. But probably not a good idea to smear it all over at home and then travel with it under the scorching summer sun anyway.

Hi:

As mentioned before, the deaths were attributed to specially compounded topicals of higher strength stuff as per the following thread.

http://www.allbusiness.com/pharmaceuticals-biotechnology/pharmaceutical-agents/14473111-1.html

The goop was spread over extremely large areas, such as the complete legs.

Alicia