Lightsheer question

Can someone explain the feature milli-second on this laser.

When should it be raised?Advantages?any disadvantages?

Today i was treated at 45joules and 30ms…Im a little worried this isnt strong enough.

Feedback ?

Last post i made a mistake…it should be 30ms not 50ms ! sorry !

45J is a relatively high fluence. That is what I was treated at with the Lightsheer with great results.
30ms is the pulse width, the amount of time the laser is on per pulse. 30ms is faster and will allow a larger areas to be treated per sesson. I had some treatments at 100ms, that was less painful and more effective I think. The down side with the longer pulse width is that it is slower.

RJC2001

As I noted in the earlier post with the same question, long pulse is probably more effective because it penetrates deeper. There is also evidence it causes fewer side effects. The combination of setting and practitioner skill make all the difference, and settings that are right for one person may not be for another. Try to avoid focusing on a number, since comparions are usually not similar.

[ March 31, 2003, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: Andrea ]

i disagree andrea.

as long as a persons skin is light,in my opinion a higher fluence is imperative and will always produce better results.

correct me if im wrong :smile:

another thing…during my treatment the technician told me that CARBON was forming on the tip of the handpeice.Every so often she had to stop and wipe it with a towel.I havent seen this mentioned anywhere here.I asked her why, her response was a combination of high joule level and dense hair.

has this happened to anyone else ?

the pulse width has to do with the quality of the hair and the thermal relaxation time ofthe skin and the hair .it has nothing to do with alaser being faster or slower dont confuse it with the frequency it delivers a beam

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by Anthonyyy:
<strong>another thing…during my treatment the technician told me that CARBON was forming on the tip of the handpeice.Every so often she had to stop and wipe it with a towel.I havent seen this mentioned anywhere here.I asked her why, her response was a combination of high joule level and dense hair.

has this happened to anyone else ?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>I had this happen to me both times. It is burnt up hair.

I think my doctor said that there was “hair blocking the chill-tip”.

Maybe “carbonized” hair? I don’t know, but yeah, I know what you’re talking about.

My doctor is probably gonna hafta do that every time for at least the next 3 treatments (I estimate).

My first treatment he had to clean it every zap or two when he was doing my chin area.

But then again, my hairs are severely ingrown and very thick. The first time I also did not shave anywhere near as close as I should have.

Zap

If it takes 100ms to deliver a laser pulse rather than 30ms, I would think that treatment of a given area would take longer.

RJC2001

The repeated cleaning of the tip is normal, at least for me. I never asked what it was - I just assumed it was residual fried hair and it made sense that the laser would be more effective if the tip was clear. My technicial must have cleaned the tip a couple dozen times during my one hour session.

Anthonyy, the issue with focusing on a number to the exclusion of other variables is that everyone’s skin is different and responds differently to different energy levels. You might get welts and blisters at 45 joules, where someone else with what looks to be the exact same skin can tolerate it fine.

Asking people what their settings were is only helpful up to a point. After that, it’s no going to have much comparative value for your own results.

In my 5 LaserSheer treatments the technician or nurse always used the 30ms setting. Faster but probably slightly more painful than 100ms pulses.

Last time she mentioned she would like to use automatic mode . Anyone know what this is? I assume that the pulse duration would change throughout the treatment? Would the fluence change as well? How does this work?

Generally, the fluence can be raised if the technician determines if it can be done without damaging the skin. As hair gets less dense and the regrowth is finer, the fluence can be turned up. Long pulse widths are used for darker skin.

RJC2001

I agree with RJC 2001.

Lightsheer Automatic mode is used for finer
hairs and the approx. depth of anagen
follicle is 1-2.5mm. So shallow.

The fluence should be higher.

Please ask your operator to stretch your
skin when using Automatic Mode.