"Light haired" WHAT CAN I DO NOW!?!?

</font><blockquote><font size=“1” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>quote:</font><hr /><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>Originally posted by Balius:
<strong>In all honesty i think practitioner skill is way more important at determining sucess then the technology used … </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size=“2” face=“Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif”>In what sense? What does laser treatment require the practitioner to do? I had thought it was just a matter of holding the laser over the skin until it flashed, then moving on to treat the next spot.

Obviously that’s not the case, so I guess what I’m saying is,

• What skills are needed?
  • And, if I’m looking for a practitioner, how do I tell whether he/she has these skills?

For laser (and to some extent electolysis) the skills that I have found important are as follows:

1. Technical knowledge of the equipment they are using, including understanding the physics behind light energy, wavelength and pigment absorption.

2. Knowledge of the human epidermis (skin) and how it heals.

3. An agressive nature toward helping you achieve your hair removal/loss goals.

Now to add why I think these are important.

1. If the doctor or technicial understands the technology and how it works then they will be in a better position to tailor the treatment energy and pulse spacing to maximize effectiveness while minimizing the potential for permanent damage.

2. I would not let a doctor perform surgery on me unless he/she was well versed in the functions of the human body and the proper use of any equipment that could or would be used on me. I take this same approach for hair removal because if the equipment is improperly used it can or will lead to permanent damage to the skin. I would hate to be hair free but left with pitted or scarred skin.

3. Aggressive nature when paired with a knowledgeble practitioner will help you achieve your goals the fastest way possible as you will not waste valueable time and money being treated with too low of an energy or using a wavelength not suitable or efficient for your skin type. They also will resist overtreating you just because you say you can take it or undertreating you in an effort to spare you disscomfort.

An knowledgeable practitioner would also recognize if or when the laser is no longer effective or efficient for removing your hair and be able to suggest alternatives like electrolysis.

I count myself lucky to have been treated at a place were all of the hair removal methods (laser,IPL and electrolysis) were at my disposal and offered at the appropriate time to maximize my goals of becoming permanently hair free.

Chris

Oh yeah forgot to answer one thing.

How do you tell if a place is worth investing your time, health and money into?

Consultations with test patches is the only true way to find out. I would have a verbal consult first and if you feel comfortable them move onto a test patch. I would wait after the test patch a few weeks to satisfy yourself that all was well. You could wait a few months if you wanted to see if the results will tend towards permanence but if you feel confident you could undergo a full treatment at this point.
I should note that although it is nice to read or hear patient testimonials (especially negative ones) I would not put a ton of stock into them because each of us responds differently to hair removal treatments. Make informed decisions for yourself judging how your body is responding to the treatments. Ultimately it is your results that matter and not those of others.

Chris

[ December 13, 2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Balius ]