Lidocaine??

I have had injections of Lidocaine(sp?) in past treatments with Electrology, and have that option available at a new place I might go to. Is there any problem with this in terms of effectiveness of treatment, and are there any areas in particular that this kind of numbing agent might effect the killing of follicles? Thanks.

I don’t recall ever seeing anything to this effect. Your electrologist has to be more cautious not to overtreat you, because s/he will not hear you complain of excessive pain, so s/he might use higher settings than normal.

Are you sure this is necessary? In the vast majority of cases (assuming a human electrologist and newer generation equipment) pain management does not need to be taken so such an extent. A good percentage of people I treat just snooze off (if the appointment is longer than 15 min), others also don’t complain of much discomfort. I try to adjust the settings untill my ckient tells me that it’s comfortable. It sometimes slows the process a little, because at times, to get a good release I need to treat the same hair a couple of times. But still, in the end, the client will get smooth faster, because s/he can tolerate longer appointments, rather than having to stop after 30 min or so (and after not seeing a good progress just give up).

Some people are more sensitive and some areas are more sensitive. But in most cases, you wouldn’t need lidocaine shots. Drink plenty of water, pop 2 Tylenols an hour before, and/or use Emla or LMX cream. It will probably be cheaper than the shots… Also, try to do it without the shots first, maybe you won’t even need them.

Treatment comfort is a part of the overall quality of service. Of course, this is not always easy to control, but the sensation will greatly vary from one electrologist to another.

Thank you for the response, yb. If you have read my “question for Barrester”, do you think I should just go with the woman I talked to on the phone, or should I try to ask, “what about Mary?”. I just don’t want the run of the mill Electrolosist, but someone that really has talent. I think I might drop by the office and by some EMLA a few days before my appt. and that way I can do a quick interview. If I can do without Lidocaine (I’d like to be able to have an hour treatment if I can take it) I would feel better, so I’ll give it a shot. I have a couple weeks before my appt. to figure this stuff out. Is Tylenol better than Advil?

One benefit to lidocaine injections is that you can do fast blend, which theoretically will be better over the long run than flash. Of course, the other benefit is the pain suppression is complete.

The injections also can make the electrolysis more effective as they add water to the injection area.

However, they come at a cost: The injections themselves are painful, especially if the lidocaine is neither warmed nor buffered, and there is some risk of potentially fatal suppressed heart rate should the lidocaine accidentally be injected into a vein.

If you go for the injections, look for: the practitioner aspirating after insertion, availability of oxygen, valium, and CPR apparatus, and an electrologist who pays attention to your physical and mental state after the injection.

Both tylenol and advil relieve pain but Advil has the advantage of being an anti-inflammatory, which would be appropriate for electrolysis.

I had Xylocaine 1% (liquid lidocaine) injections around my knee area many years ago when I had my legs done. No feeling whatsoever. It was great. HOWEVER, the levels of heat and timing had already been established on my lower legs, the skin healed well, etc. So even though the injections totally numbed the area, overtreatment was not a problem.

As yb says, that is definitely something you need to be careful with. Maybe a working point could be established and the skin reaction analyzed for a couple treatments before injections are given. Start off without and see how you tolerate treatment. Maybe you could limit injections only in really sensitive areas.

Would a physician be doing the injections, redhead? How much do they charge for these injections?

Dee

She said the injections are $25 which sounds resonable. I don’t know if there is a doctor administering it, for that price I highly doubt it. I know she told me she will use the blend method, and the charge is $65 per hour. I don’t know much more then that, but tues. I think I will physically go and talk to her and ask more in depth questions.

Can anyone share what their state regulations are in regard to non-physicians injecting lidocaine intradermaly (under the skin)?

I’ll be checking with the state medical board of Ohio, who regulates my R.N and electrologist’s licenses, as there have been a few clients that could have used a lidocaine injection as a last resort. I personally wouldn’t want the liabilty involved with the injection, but I do share office space in a major university’s family practice department where perhaps these physicians would be amenable to giving injections, only in limited measure, as warranted. Of course, they are so busy, they probably wouldn’t have time to do this anyway. Just a thought that I really haven’t pursued agressively, since most people are able to tolerate their treatments for a limited time.

I have heard of something called majajet??spelling? Before I became an electrologist, I remember the lady that worked on me mentioned she had bought this stuff and then chickened out from actually using it,thus returning the product. She’s no longer alive, unfortunately, so I can’t go to her for information.

Does anyone have knowledge to share on this topic?

Redhead, $25.00 does sound reasonable, but make sure if you do this, that all proper precautions are instituted - as DIY’er noted. Aspirating, pulling back on the syringe to check for blood, before injecting the lidocaine into tissue is an extreme “MUST” so as not to inject the medication directly into the bloodstream. Hopefully,the person giving the injection has been trained and is certified to do this proceedure.

Dee

Dee, I think you’ll find that a RN or above can administer lidocaine injections.

Personally, I’m highly skeptical of the risk level involved. It all depends on the amount of lidocaine injected at any one site and the health and vigor of the patient. Small subcutaneous injections are the safest - a 10 mg injection is pretty small in comparison to a 350 mg safety threshold. So people shouldn’t be shying away from it for fear of sudden mortality. All the same, however, I wouldn’t get injections without the facilities mentioned earlier.

I’ve speculated that there’s a fortune to be had by converting bikini waxers to electrolysis, administered painlessly with local anesthetic. If I were in the business I’d be researching the insurance implications and hiring a RN.

Well, I went in to Mary’s personally today to discuss, with the Electrologist I booked an appt. with, some of my concerns. Much to my suprise, she agreed that Mary herself was the best person to do the area that I want done. I was sure this person was going to say that she is just as good and I should just let her treat me. She shook her head and said that Mary is simply the best, and that I would be in great hands. She is out of the Country right now, but I have an appt. on the 16th, after she gets back. The lady I talked to said that Mary is a RN, and that she’ll give me a shot of Lidocaine, and I won’t feel the treatments at all. She made it seem as if I have nothing to worry about, and that my treatments will be very successful. Thanks everyone, especially Barrester, for your refferals and advice.

[ April 06, 2004, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: redhead ]

I wish you the best, redhead.

I know I don’t have to plead with you to keep us all informed, as you have always been very consistent and unselfish with sharing your experiences. Would love to hear about your lidocaine experience.

Regards to Mary and glad you found her.

Dee

Just a thought… If you’re looking to treat private areas, she might be referring you to Mary simply because she doesn’t do it. I’ve heard of this done before.

I don’t think so, I was upfront about the area I wanted treated when I first talked to her and she jumped at the chance to do the Electrolosis. I’m sure she’s qualified, and said she’s been doing Electrolysis for 12 years, I just think she had no problem with admitting that Mary was better at “certain areas”, and had successfully performed many, many treatments.